News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

27 gallon gas tank install on 16 SC

Started by Fisherdv, November 08, 2017, 12:31:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

First Cabin

Quote from: Threeweight on November 16, 2017, 11:24:28 AM
Why not just carry a spare filter element and appropriate strap wrenches?  That's what everyone I know does.

I can see wanting a second tank if you want to increase your range... but bypassing a Racor fuel filter to run a portable tank in case you have bad fuel issues seems kinda silly to me.  Like bypassing the oil filter in your car and running a second oil tank in case you have an oil filter restriction.

Here's my theory on the spare tank and fuel line: 

If I'm out on the water and having what I think is a fuel related issue, it might be something in the fuel...or it could be a bad fuel line....or a bad primer bulb.... or maybe it isn't a fuel related issue at all and I just don't know what the problem is.  I could waste a lot of time changing a filter, fingers' crossed that it fixes the issue....but how much bad fuel is already in the fuel line from the filter to the motor?

So I pull out my spare fuel tank with what I know is fresh gas, attach a new fuel line directly to the motor, and see what happens.  Hopefully the issue is solved and I'm on my way.  I can get back to the dock and probably head home to take my time troubleshooting.  If it doesn't solve the issue, I now know I have to look at the motor itself.

I also keep the spare 5 gallons of gas for an emergency....rather than have to add fuel to a rocking boat, I disconnect at the motor and plug in my 5 gallons.  I can also pass this 5 gallon tank over to another boater in need.

First:  1982 15' SeaHunter, Yamaha 70 2-stroke, Yamaha F6
Second:  1987 17' SeaRanger, Merc 90 2-stroke, Yamaha F8
Current:  2002 17' SeaChaser, Yamaha F100, Yamaha T8

Fisherdv

FC, that makes sense to me and would be an easy way to see if it is the main fuel supply that's contaminated. However, if you filled main tank and portable tank at the same pump then they would both be contaminated. I do like the idea of having both a spare filter, and a portable tank, especially if fishing offshore. Also many of the small to midsize Honda motors run directly off of a portable fuel tank with no filter at all in between the motor and the tank. A lot of smaller boats are sold that way. So in an emergency I don't see it being a problem running the motor directly from the spare, portable tank to get back if needed
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

Markshoreline

First Cabin has a good approach if you only have one onboard tank.  I always carried a spare tank or two before having saddle tanks. 
However, even portable tanks can be plumbed into a fuel valve and you can easily switch between tanks with the lever.  I use that option to empty the main tank so I can do maintenance on the bilge pumps, level the boat according to weight distribution and to use the oldest fuel next.  You can still use a connector at the tank end of the line so you can pull the portable tanks out or swap them or whatever.   I plumb all three fuel lines into the Racor fuel filter. I don't think FC was suggesting not to carry a spare filter regardless of where you are using the boat.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

First Cabin

I keep my spare 5 gallon tank separate and only use it for an emergency.  I don't fill it at the same time, at the same place, that I'm filling the main tank, and I only store non-ethanol fuel.

I purposely don't want it plumbed through a valve or a filter or anything currently in use that might be the source of the problem.  Plug it in directly to the motor and get home as quickly as possible.

Of course in 20 years I've never needed it, so sometimes I wonder why I bother!  Gives me a supply of lawnmower fuel every spring anyway!
First:  1982 15' SeaHunter, Yamaha 70 2-stroke, Yamaha F6
Second:  1987 17' SeaRanger, Merc 90 2-stroke, Yamaha F8
Current:  2002 17' SeaChaser, Yamaha F100, Yamaha T8

Markshoreline

I've never found the valve to be a problem, but I can switch between fuel tanks as in the time that one of the saddles took on seawater due to rough conditions and a leaky fuel cap gasket.  Multiple fuel tanks no matter how you have them plumbed is a great idea as long as you keep the fuel fresh.

Threeweight

Isn't it simpler to just use good fuel, a good filter, stay up on your maintenance, and don't let fuel sit and go bad?  And if the boat does sit, keep stabilizer in the tank to prevent the fuel from forming gum and varnish that could plug something up?

When I did long runs in my old 17', I used to carry a 12 gallon deck tank plumbed into my system.  It was really useful, but given the stuff I saw come out of marina fuel pumps into that tank there's no way I'd want it going to a fuel injected motor without a good filter in front of it.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Fisherdv

Quote from: Threeweight on November 16, 2017, 11:14:01 PM
Isn't it simpler to just use good fuel, a good filter, stay up on your maintenance, and don't let fuel sit and go bad?  And if the boat does sit, keep stabilizer in the tank to prevent the fuel from forming gum and varnish that could plug something up?
:yeahthat: Since I trailer my boat I always fill up at a busy Chevron gas station and always add stabil 360 to the fuel. Every couple of tanks if trolling a lot I'll add some Mercury quickleen (basically Techron) to keep things clean. By having good fuel and maintenance habits you should be able to eliminate any fuel related problems or clogged filters in the first place. But still no harm in being well prepared having a spare filter and portable tank for peace of mind

Yachter Yat

Before fueling your boat, always fill your tow vehicle first.  I'd consider this one of the "good fuel habits" we should practice.  Generally speaking, if there's water or contaminants at the bottom of a station's tank, there's a good chance that's what will come-up first.  When I got my new motor (after 21 years), and was forced to removed the tank, I was amazed to see how clean it was.  There was just a very small amount of fine black dust-like matter at the bottom.  Interesting as well, is when dumping the fuel filter once a year into a clear container,  I can never recall seeing any contamination.  Like Fisher, I always fuel-up at a busy local station as well.  I think this could be considered one of the most important of the "good fuel habits". 

Yat
History is not the past; it's the present, as we all carry it with us......James Baldwin    
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Fisherdv

Can't wait to try out the boat with the new tank installed. The install was pretty straight forward. Most of the time consumed was waiting/finding all the fuel fittings I needed. I learned that doing a test fit with the hole saw for the filler cap in a piece of plywood first was a good idea. It measures 1 1/8, but that was a tad to small, it's actually 1 1/4. I should have a pretty good range now with such a fuel efficient motor.

J Chaser

Sea Chaser 1511, Yamaha F70, Yamaha F6 kicker

Fisherdv

Quote from: J Chaser on November 21, 2017, 04:13:14 PM
You will love it.

J.
Thx for the help JChaser, and thx to the members, and Terry (COB), and Belinda for getting the tank out to me. Appreciate it.                       
Now I need to install a fuel gauge.

Yachter Yat

Fisher;  I wouldn't bother with the fuel gauge.  One experience with a friend's boat that ran out of fuel (when the gauge said otherwise) is all it took for me to lose total confidence in those things.  Checking the fuel level in these little Arimas by simply looking at the tank is easy enough........and (IMO) a lot more comforting.  In fact, I'd be willing to bet, you'll find yourself looking at that tank just to be sure the gauge is correct. :jester: 

Yat
History is not the past; it's the present, as we all carry it with us......James Baldwin    
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Fisherdv

Your right, even if I had the gauge I would still look at the tank to be sure. I was thinking the gauge would give me a ballpark estimate. I have a 3-rod holder, knife, plyers, and sometimes lures and fishing poles on that back panel so it's kind of a pain to take it off frequently. I would like to eventually get an NMEA 2000 compatible ff/gps so I can network my motor and see real time data and fuel burn.

Rokefin

Agree on the fuel gauges, I don't bother to even look at them. Its easy to gauge by sight on the Arimas, most my fishing trips use about 1/4 to 1/2 a tank  so I fill up with Chevron after every outing. My second tank in the cuddy is aluminum and does have a gauge but I rarely use the cuddy tank.

This past year I was out on a boat with a 100 gallon tank that read we had  at least 1/4 tank, we wisely decided we had better fill up for our short planned trip rather than push it. It took over 95 gallons of fuel meaning at a 1/4 tank that gauge was off by 20 gallons - never trust a gauge :doh:

Markshoreline

Starting with an empty tank- preferably at a marina with the boat in the water, add five gallons and mark the level on the tank and then repeat for wash 5 gallons as you fill it up.  You'll always have a reliable fuel measure.

Fisherdv

My tank came pre-marked in 5 gallon increments. I would still like to have the NMEA 2000 fuel burn data. I would really like to see the fuel burn for different engine rpms

croaker stroker

That is cool !  Premarked !!   :clap:

The rest of us have to use a sharpie.  :jester:

BTW....Does your metal sender have a ground wire ? 
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Fisherdv

Yes the sender does have a ground wire I hooked it up to the negative side of the battery I do not have a gauge yet though

Fisherdv

So I filled the tank for the first time today and I could not get the gas to flow. It kept on spilling out the neck. I  could only pump at a trickle. I have the vent and everything. It is the factory tank. What could be the problem?  Took about 10 minutes just to pump 10 gallons of gas

J Chaser

I wonder if the vent is somehow stuck?

Not normal.

J.
Sea Chaser 1511, Yamaha F70, Yamaha F6 kicker

Fisherdv

I even unsrewed that vent cap????? Very frustrating, I spilled a lot of gas in my splash well. The gas just would not go down for some reason :shrug9:

Fisherdv

Here's some pics. The vent is in the same spot as lots of pics I've seen of a factory install. JC, I couldn't put the vent in the same spot as you because I have a flush mount rod holder there. I even took off the cap for the vent and still gas will not go down fast enough

Hydroman

Can  you blow freely thru the vent line with the filler cap off? Also check the vent to make sure it is free from any obstructions, some of them have a check valve to prevent any fuel from leaking out.

Jim
17 Sea Chaser (sold)
21 Skip Tower (sold)
27 Thunder Jet OS (sold)
22 Thunder Jet OS

Rokefin

That is a bummer, does not sound right. With a stock tank I don't recall any problems - no issues with your old tank? I am guessing not.
In your photo the vent hose looks like it is collapsing? Could be an optical illusion. Your filler neck is short but I don't see that being a problem. Did it get easier after so many gallons were pumped in? Or was it stubborn the whole way?

Fisherdv

It was stubborn the whole way. The vent hose is not collapsed, no kinks. I had to use lower quality pics so I could post them. It is a trap style vent so maybe it has a check valve as Hydroman mentioned that could be stuck. I guess one way to know for sure would be to disconnect the vent hose at the tank and only fill it halfway so it doesn't overflow out the tank vent hole. The filler neck from the tank has a lip where the hose connects to the tank so I wonder if the gas gets caught up on that lip? I ran the boat for about 10 miles or so and it ran fine. If the tank was not venting wouldn't that restrict the flow to the motor? Also, I opened the cap slowly and did not here any hiss or pressure build up in the tank, the tank was not sunkin either