News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Salmon rods

Started by ATGEP, October 29, 2017, 06:43:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ATGEP

My $10 boat show rods are nearing the end of the road. I am looking for something better but dont want to break the bank either.  I have fished my friend's lamiglass and they are better in every regard. He also broke 2 of the lamiglass rods fighting chinook this year and that has me leaning against not buying them.  What is a good option in the $100 range?

Thanks everyone.

Tj805

Kinda out of your price range but seeker 196 in a 7 ft 15-25 is my favorite salmon rod.
If your on a budget it's hard to beat an old ugly stick .
Killed quite a few salmon on them.
2000 sea chaser 19
Honda 130
2014 yamaha f8

croaker stroker

Seekers are my favorite rods. (S-glass)
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

StreamFixer

Okuma Salmon Steelhead (SST), 9'6" rods are hard to beat.  Decent price and good actions.  Med to Med/heavy for trolling...  Nice tip action with good backbone...  Often on sale in the mid $60 range...

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

First Cabin

In that price range, I would go with the Berkley Air IM8.  You can get one for $70-80 on sale or on-line.  I fish Lamiglas and Loomis and the Berkley makes it hard to justify spending 2-4x more.

First:  1982 15' SeaHunter, Yamaha 70 2-stroke, Yamaha F6
Second:  1987 17' SeaRanger, Merc 90 2-stroke, Yamaha F8
Current:  2002 17' SeaChaser, Yamaha F100, Yamaha T8

Rokefin

Agree with the "ugly sticks" great rod for the money.

Personally, I find the 9 foot rods too long for our boats and use the 7 foot ugly sticks.

J Chaser

Sea Chaser 1511, Yamaha F70, Yamaha F6 kicker

croaker stroker

I use a 9 foot parabolic 15-30 Super Seeker to absorb head shakes.

The length is a bother. But worth the action.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Rokefin

Quote from: Croaker Stroker on October 30, 2017, 10:59:27 AM

I use a 9 foot parabolic 15-30 Super Seeker to absorb head shakes.

The length is a bother. But worth the action.

I have thought about using the longer lengths for that reason "head shakes" and feel but I keep a very loose drag to compensate. I used the long rods a couple years ago then opted for the shorter ones, I may give the longer ones another try next year.

croaker stroker

If you use Spectra, There is no stretch.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Markshoreline

For downriggers I use 8' ugly sticks.  Never broke one.  Otherwise I use Lamiglass or Fenwicks.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Threeweight

I run Okuma SST's on most of my salmon rods (fishing either lead or divers).  My down rigger rods are Lamiglass Classic Glass (around $70 if you catch them on sale).
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Tunacious

Quote from: First Cabin on October 29, 2017, 08:59:48 PM
In that price range, I would go with the Berkley Air IM8.  You can get one for $70-80 on sale or on-line.  I fish Lamiglas and Loomis and the Berkley makes it hard to justify spending 2-4x more.

I use the Berkley IM8 rods.  I have a couple of longer ones in two piece for bobber fishing in the river but I prefer the shorter one piece rods for the boat.

You can get them on sale at Bi-Mart for a good price.

Keel-er

I am with Russ and Steve on the Okuma rods.  Work great and catch fish.
1986 Sea Ranger 17 "Nancy Lyn"-Sold
2020 Yamaha F90
1995 Sea Ranger 19
2023 Tohatsu 140
2020 Yamaha 9.9

AlexB

I really like my Lamiglas "Classic Glass" rod for salmon trolling with a Deep 6 or downrigger.

Were the Lami's that broke fiberglass, or some kind of lightweight graphite/composite material?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ramblin' Rose - 2018 SC19 w/ Honda BF150 and BF8

Threeweight

For downrigger rods, I feel like old-school fiberglass makes a lot more sense than graphite.  And it's a lot harder to break.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Markshoreline

Yep, no sense in carbon fiber for downriggers, not looking for sensitive feel on the hookup.  Just tough fiberglass in the length you prefer.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

croaker stroker

Quote from: Threeweight on November 08, 2017, 02:02:28 PM
For downrigger rods, I feel like old-school fiberglass makes a lot more sense than graphite.  And it's a lot harder to break.

Graphite are lightning rods in a storm.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Fishin Machine

I use several different Rods, two of my favorites are the Loomis GL3 and GL2 Loomis. The other two rods I have are Shimano Tiagra trolling rods best bang for your money. Get them over a ugly stick.

The rods I use the most and have three of the are the Lamiglas Mark Wilson series. They only come in 7' or 7' 9" models. Mark Wilson is a known striper fisherman in the California Delta and had Lamiglas custom build rods for him. They like his design and started selling them. I own three of them and caught salmon stripers and a sturgeon using this rod.

https://www.fishermanswarehouse.com/shop/lamiglas-signature-mark-wilson-striper-trolling-rod/

Good luck
DT
DDT
2003 19' Sea Ranger