News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Batteries moving forward

Started by FishAddict, November 05, 2017, 07:47:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FishAddict

I have decided to go for it this winter, and move my batteries forward under my skippers chair.  I had a 16x16x12 aluminum seat box made and I'm now wondering what the best coating options are.  I'm considering having it powder coated or possibly zolatone.  Any advice???  I'm thinking of just going white.
21ft Sea Ranger w/Yamaha F150

croaker stroker

Coating?.....something that acid has no effect on. (Maybe truck bed coating, like LineX ??)
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

FishAddict

Yeah, I thought about linex.  Not sure if I can get it in a different color than black.  I'm planning on coating the inside of the box with rubber.

croaker stroker

Others have said that Home Depot has something similar. Not sure how it stands up to battery acid ?

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

FishAddict

I'm planning on AGM batteries so hopefully I never have to test the durability of the coating against acid.

croaker stroker

I have never spent the extra $$ for AGM batteries. From what I have read, they still vent. And they still require a vented compartment.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

FishAddict

I'm going to install a 2 inch rigging hose to run the wires from the box to under the gunnel.  There will be a bunch of extra space in that 2 inch hose so I'm thinking additional venting won't be necessary, but other opinions are welcome.

Tj805

I would have it powder coated white. And then have them do a clear powdercoat as well.
Looks nicely made box .
I think this year I'm going to gel batteries as well.
Might have to move them into the cuddy cabin.
2000 sea chaser 19
Honda 130
2014 yamaha f8

BruceL2_Fish

Couple of ideas.  One AGM's still need ventilation, you might want a second vent to promote cross flow. Another idea to consider is adding battery acid nuetralizing mat material.  This is popular in RV's.  Might need to put a piece of Starboard to raise it a little to avoid getting it wet all the time. 
I also think powder coat but make sure it is primed properly first.  Mr :twocents:
2012 Sea Ranger 19 (M. LaDeane)
Suzuki 115 Four Stroke
Honda 9.9 Kicker

FishAddict

Thanks guys.  Looks like I'll try powder coating.  Are there any vents on the market that are some what water proof like the ones used for fuel?  I'd really like to be able to keep water out of the box when my buddies help with the wash down hose. lol

Threeweight

Why coat it?

Painting or powder coating aluminum properly is a bit more complicated than it might first appear.  Needs an acid wash to remove oxidation, then an aluminum etching primer, then whatever coat you want on it. 

Aluminum oxide is the dull gray color that aluminum takes on when exposed to the air (the color of Coast Guard MLB's).  It's tough and self-heals, as long as it can get oxygen. 

Paint and powdercoat look great when new, but give them a few years and they will start flaking/bubbling if the job wasn't done 100% correct.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

StreamFixer

Quote from: FishAddict on November 06, 2017, 09:39:50 AM
Thanks guys.  Looks like I'll try powder coating.  Are there any vents on the market that are some what water proof like the ones used for fuel?  I'd really like to be able to keep water out of the box when my buddies help with the wash down hose. lol

That will be tough to do unless you want to go to the expense of having Louvre's punched into the side, or install plastic Louvre's...  Make sure the lid is not tight but bends down over all the sides a half inch or so,  (that will provide venting).  Put some holes in the bottom to facilitate drainage and you will be fine.  Put a latch on a couple sides if you deem that to be necessary.  Weight of the seat will likely keep things in place. 

I would not put on a hinge for a couple of reasons.  1) you would need to provide a place for the hinged lid and seat to swing when opened, 2) the hinge will take a hell of a beating when opened, 3) attaching with dis-similar metals will facilitate corrosion. 

Water is going to get in there, from condensation if nothing else. 

3WT is dead on with his recommendation.  Over time you will appreciate his suggestion.

But, it's your boat --  Do as you deem best.

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

FishAddict

It does have a hinge and will open fully towards the stern when I need access.  The lid does have a 1/2" overhang so I will probably just drill a couple small drain holes similar to the Arima fiberglass seat box.  Sounds like I need to ask the powder coating questions about the coating process prep before committing.  In the mean time I'm going to finish the install and re wire with it as bare aluminum.  Things are a tight fit with two group 27's, ARC, Add a Battery switch and buss bar, but I think I'll be able to make it work.

FishAddict

I also thought about wrapping the box in thin Sea Foam colored starboard...Purely cosmetic

Diablo

Quote from: FishAddict on November 06, 2017, 01:08:50 PM
I also thought about wrapping the box in thin Sea Foam colored starboard...Purely cosmetic

One more coating suggestion, SeaDek.

http://www.seadek.com/c-5-sheet-material.aspx
'98 19SR  '15 E Tec 115, '10 Honda 8
'67. 23 Tollycraft, 283 Chevy
'04  14' Western, '15 Tohatsu 10
'87  37 Roughwater two 8.2 Detroit diesels SOLD
'88 17SR  '90 Johnson 90, Honda 8, SOLD

StreamFixer

Sea Dek will be 50% off on black Friday.  I am squeezing the nickles in preparation.

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

Tunacious

I had some aluminum seat boxes cerakoted.
It's a process the use to coat guns to keep them impervious to the elimants.
It's been two years and the boxes look like the day I installed them in the boat.
I took a chance doing the cerekote but I would do it again.

FishAddict

Well two years on your boat is equivalent to ten on most so cerakote sounds like another good option.  Is it available in multiple colors?  Do most places that do powder coating also do cerakote?

Tunacious

Quote from: FishAddict on November 06, 2017, 07:23:49 PM
Well two years on your boat is equivalent to ten on most so cerakote sounds like another good option.  Is it available in multiple colors?  Do most places that do powder coating also do cerakote?

Cerakote comes in lots of different colors.

People who do cerekote are all in the firearms industry as far as I know.

Ive been told you can cerakote a firearm and throw it in the ocean and it won't rust.

I found a guy who was a local police officer who had been shot in the line of duty. 

While he was rehabilitating to be able to come back to work he started a cerekote business.

I was in the same line of work at the time but a different agency than him but I knew him.

People like to use the process to customize their firearms with all different kinds of colors. 

The process does use a oven and my boxes barely fit into his oven.

The finish on my boxes are not as smooth as powder coat but as far as I can tell it does not chip like powder coat can.

I went with a standard gray color because he had a lot of it in stock and it was cheaper for me to use the color he had.

Below is a link to a cerekote business I googled.

My crekote has not chipped, corroded or changed at all.

Like I said I was taking a chance when I went with the cerekote.  I have never heard of anyone else using cerekote in their boat.

https://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com

Tunacious

This is not a great photo but I did find it in my gallery.

It doesn't show much other than a grey box.

But just in case you wanted to see what it look like.

FishAddict

Thanks.  I'll start checking around with friends that are into guns to see who does it my area.

BestBoats

Quote from: Tunacious on November 06, 2017, 07:18:17 PM
I had some aluminum seat boxes cerakoted.
It's a process the use to coat guns to keep them impervious to the elimants.
It's been two years and the boxes look like the day I installed them in the boat.
I took a chance doing the cerekote but I would do it again.
X2
The gunsmith I use has a big oven...they are doing motorcycle frames and other items as well. Brimstone Gunsmithing in Camas, WA. They can do anything you can imagine with cerakote.
2007 21' Sea Ranger Hardtop "THE A-TEAM"
150 Evinrude Etec
9.9 Susuki EFI

BruceL2_Fish

2012 Sea Ranger 19 (M. LaDeane)
Suzuki 115 Four Stroke
Honda 9.9 Kicker

FishAddict

I'm finally getting back to this project and thought I would share a diagram that I was able to get from Blue Sea tech support after looking for different ways to prevent draw on the batteries in the off position.  The normal diagram puts a draw on the batteries due to the ACR unless you add an additional switch on the relay to ground wire.  The attached drawing solves this problem.  For those of you who have done the install on your boats you may want to check it out and see as I'm told AGM batteries life will be hurt by the constant draw of the ACR.  I'll post some pics once I complete the work.

diodon

2007 21 Sea Explorer.   2007 Suzuki DF140.        2011 Honda 9.9