News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

UPDATE: new PowerTech prop

Started by Fisherdv, November 05, 2017, 08:47:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fisherdv

This is an update to the "Another prop question thread" from about 3-4 weeks ago. I had to wait for the prop to be built at the factory. I finally got to try the new PowerTech SCD3, 13in diameter, 14 pitch SS prop. First impressions? I like it! It's a semi-cleaver, stern lifting prop and i did notice that with reduced porpoising and also from looking at the spray from the sides of the boat, it appeared that less boat was in the water on plane. The conditions I tested in were only myself on board, about 10 gallons of gas, lightly loaded. It was raining and about 60 degrees, no wind, flat water, freshwater river with tidal influence. It seems I gained approximately 2 mph at all RPM. I was able to reach 6000 even 6200 max rpm trimmed up. About 5600-5800 max rpm trimmed down. Cruise speed also improved. So here's the numbers; 4000 rpm@18 mph, 4500@20.2, 5000@22.5, 5500@25, 6000@26.5 and max trimmed up all the way 6200@28 mph. With the old prop very max top end speed was about 25.  I did runs in both directions to compensate for tide influence. Trolling speed seems to be acceptable, I was able to get down to 1.8 mph with troll control switch ingaged.  It does slip a bit in a sharp turn possibly due to the increased stern lift and prop running higher in the water. My old 13.75X13, big earred prop held its grip better in sharp turns probably due to the larger diameter of the prop. No big deal. Overall I gotta say I'm very pleased with the performance of the PowerTech SS prop. My goal was higher cruise speed and a bit higher top end speed and it seems this prop has achieved that. I know I tested it very lightly loaded with only myself so we'll see how it performs with the boat loaded up a bit more. I tend to run 90 percent of my trips fairly light anyway. I think the PowerTech SCD props are a good match for Arima boats. About $314 so not cheap, but I think it's well worth it. I also wanted to mention that the motor while trolling actually has less vibration. I noticed when installing the prop the tolerances were much tighter fit to the shaft splines. I almost thought they sent me the wrong prop. So I think with less "slop" on the shaft that related to less vibration. Clunk going into gear also seems to be less. I thought it would be the opposite due to the heavier weight of the SS prop. Thanks to Yat for recommending this prop and to all you guys for your help.
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

Yachter Yat

Fisher, thanks for that report.  To say the least, I was more than curious as to how that prop was going to perform.  As I suspected, it appears the 14" pitch is the place to be with this motor/hull combination.   Looks like you've got some good overall numbers there.  Being very lightly loaded (as you tested) should naturally push you slightly over the max RPM of that motor.  Mine goes to 6100 with two people on board and a little more fuel.  As I've mentioned in the past, being slightly above max RPM is like being "downshifted"....... a place you actually want to be with a light load.  Given that, I believe adding a few hundred pounds will still result in a respectable performance.   

Have fun,  Yat
History is not the past; it's the present, as we all carry it with us......James Baldwin    
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Markshoreline

Sounds like a great match for your boat.  When you put all your gear in there and fill the tank it will be right on.  Yat is our small boat expert!
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Yachter Yat

Sometimes I think it's like building Frankenstein.........you know.........trial and error.  (haha)

Yat
History is not the past; it's the present, as we all carry it with us......James Baldwin    
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Fisherdv

The chart that Grizzle posted a few years ago was a big help as well. I found out how useful the windshield wiper was too. Wouldn't have been able to see without it.  Next project; installing the 27 gallon Inca fuel tank. Showed up at my door yesterday. What's next? Does it ever end?  :doh:

Yachter Yat

You'll like that tank.  When I swapped motors, I had to remove my tank.  Replaced the hoses and discovered, getting the bend in the new fuel fill hose was the toughest part.   Here's a tip:  Don't tighten the tank straps until the fill hose is connected.  Temporarily keeping a small amount of front-to-back movement of the tank makes getting the fill hose connected a lot easier.  That said, it might be that placing the fuel fill cap where the port cup holder is could prove to be a viable alternative.  GregE once had a Sea Hunter with a fuel fill in that location.  You might want to research that. 

Yat
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Fisherdv

When I get to the tank install I'm sure a question or two will come up. I don't know if I need to rinse or clean the tank before installing even though it's new. It may have shavings from the manufacturing process :shrug9: If needed I'm not sure what I would use to rinse it out. J Chaser sent me a few pics of his install that was helpful. As he did, I think I will install a racor fuel filter as well. I'll start another thread about the tank if needed.

Threeweight

Looks like it is hitting the rev limiter lightly loaded, should be in the sweet spot when loaded heavy.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Fisherdv

Quote from: Threeweight on November 05, 2017, 05:08:25 PM
Looks like it is hitting the rev limiter lightly loaded, should be in the sweet spot when loaded heavy.
Im hitting 6200 rpm trimmed up as much as possible. Trimmed down max rpm is about 5600. Need more time with it to know for sure.

Chief of the Boat

The PowerTechs are IMO the best stainless props on the market and Made in America. 

Fisherdv

beancounter

Happy it seems to be working out for you. Load your boat up and let us know how it works.

Fisherdv

Quote from: beancounter on November 06, 2017, 12:56:44 PM
Happy it seems to be working out for you. Load your boat up and let us know how it works.
I hear ya Beancounter, I'm hoping I won't be lugging the motor loaded up. I usually run light anyway, maybe one more person, max two more people, a cooler and when I install my 27 gallon fuel tank. It may be a while before I get a kicker motor. The 14 pitch prop should work for at least 85-90 percent of my use and load. When I do get a kicker, and know I'll be running heavy I could just put my 13 pitch back on

AJFishin

Congrats on your new prop! Pretty good numbers too.
'96 Sea Ranger 19, 2016 Mercury 115 EFI CT (115F231D) 
'96 Sea Chaser 16, 2019 Suzuki DF60AV (Sold) 
'87 Sea Chaser 17, 1987 Johnson V4 90 (Sold)
My YouTube channel: youtube.com/socalseachaser

Fisherdv

Markshoreline

Chief do you know how they compare with Silas?  A couple of years ago they were most respected on our site.

Chief of the Boat

Mark,
The PowerTech replaced a Solas Titan 3 Blade Stainless 13.75" dia. X 13 pitch.  The Solas would only hit 5800 wot and could barely get on plane with three adults on board.  The PowerTech hit 6300 wot and no problem planing with three.   Side by side comparison of the two on a table the PowerTech blades are sharp with some rake the fit and finish is excellent.
When I am ordering props for twin engines PowerTech will build me a matched set, I don't know any other manufacture that does that.

AJFishin

Fisherdv

The PowerTech SCD props are sure nice! Would look real good under the Christmas tree 🎄! :biggrin:

Markshoreline

AJFishin

Quote from: Fisherdv on November 07, 2017, 04:42:58 PM
The PowerTech SCD props are sure nice! Would look real good under the Christmas tree 🎄! :biggrin:

I better mail my letter to Santa asap!  :jester:

Fisherdv

I wanted to correct some misinformation on the performance numbers on my 16 SC with the SS PowerTech 13x14 prop as described in the first post here. Today I was changing some settings on my FF/GPS and noticed that my SOG (speed over ground) was set to knots and not MPH :doh: :whistle:. It was set to MPH on my previous boat I took it off of and I never even thought about it on the new boat. Most of the settings stayed when the power was disconnected but it somehow changed over to a knots SOG and I didn't even notice it the whole time it's been on the Arima 16 SC. So that said whatever RPM and corresponding MPH stated here in the first post ADD approximately 3 MPH to the speeds listed or convert the speeds from knots to MPH accordingly. I'm glad I noticed that today :whistle:

Chief of the Boat

What was your top speed (mph) with the PT?

Fisherdv

Quote from: Chief of the Boat on January 03, 2018, 06:11:33 AM
What was your top speed (mph) with the PT?
That should put me at about 32 MPH loaded very lightly. I will test again in MPH next time out

Chief of the Boat