News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Amazing how fast this boat sunk. .

Started by Arimaway, November 01, 2017, 05:59:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Markshoreline

That illustrates how boats sink in following seas.  The wave in back lifts the stern and buries the bow, fully deployed trim tabs make this event more likely.  Great kid to save the boat guy!
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Wiley

Ok I get the following seas . But something doesn't look right to me, why is the bow so low to begin with, kinda looks like it was full of water or something. ?
86 c Dory 22' new 90 hp etec (sold)
96 sea explorer 15'-11" new 90 etec named (wutz wuzn cuzn)
10' Don Hill Pram
Respectfully, Build, Buy, Be American
Please bring back logging, we can't afford to keep burning up our country!!!

StreamFixer

If you refuse to wear your PFD, it helps to have a 13 year old kid with a surf board handy...   :nono:

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

ATGEP

Foam.......Keeps boats from sinking when the operator makes a mistake!

Markshoreline

Foam filled boats won't sink but they will swamp and roll over...
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

croaker stroker

Quote from: Wiley on November 01, 2017, 06:59:12 PM
Ok I get the following seas . But something doesn't look right to me, why is the bow so low to begin with, kinda looks like it was full of water or something. ?

+1. 
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

GregE

It was definitely bow heavy- very little freeboard all around.

Close stacked waves made it worse.  At least it was Florida waters.
Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak II
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

Yachter Yat

Something similar to that happened to me some years ago while heading out the mouth of the Merrimack River in Newburyport.  My little Arima took a nose dive over a steep one.  The water came up over the bow (very unusual for this boat) and made it to about the windshield.  This little craft bounced right back up and shed-it-off like a short-haired lab. :biggrin:   Anyway, off we went; happily on our way. Never got a drop on us.  Oh, did I say............I LOVE my Arima.  Oh ya, almost forgot, anybody still want a center console? 

Yat
History is not the past; it's the present, as we all carry it with us......James Baldwin    
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Rokefin

No center console for me but not for that reason alone, covered bow would have helped him though.

So what is the lesson here - was he just too slow to throttle before the wave caught up to him?

AJFishin

I found a longer video from the person who recorded it.

The guy who recorded it said, "letting you know that he was Off-Throttle when the Following Wave pushed him into the next wave".

To me it looks like the boater was coming in to fast in following seas, and the swells piled up on him.
Maybe his boat was sinking, do to no plug in, and he was trying to get in the harbor?

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ba1j5TIHgNa/
'96 Sea Ranger 19, 2016 Mercury 115 EFI CT (115F231D) 
'96 Sea Chaser 16, 2019 Suzuki DF60AV (Sold) 
'87 Sea Chaser 17, 1987 Johnson V4 90 (Sold)
My YouTube channel: youtube.com/socalseachaser

Diablo

'98 19SR  '15 E Tec 115, '10 Honda 8
'67. 23 Tollycraft, 283 Chevy
'04  14' Western, '15 Tohatsu 10
'87  37 Roughwater two 8.2 Detroit diesels SOLD
'88 17SR  '90 Johnson 90, Honda 8, SOLD

Rokefin

Oh yes, that boat was already heavy in the water :doh:

HemiGTX

Certainly no heroic action on behalf of anyone standing on the jetty.

AKA: "The guy who fishes with Nicole"

croaker stroker

Remember the photos in the Arima "water trapped in the bilge" thread?. (I think posted by Salmon King)

There were baffles with drainage holes. Those baffles/floor supports would prevent water from running from stern to bow when decelerating.

Something to think about when buying a boat.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

AJFishin

Here's some extra info on the guy in the boat and it seems he's got into a little bit of trouble back in 2009 with FWC and was fined almost $52,000.
http://sportsmanstrail.com/palm-beach-co-commercial-fisherman-in-brevard-co-fined-50000/

I believe people change and learn lessons, so I hope this was just an unfortunate accident.

The talk on a couple of Florida forums is his boat and bow was over loaded with fish and ice and he was trying to out run the strong winds and make it to the safe harbor.
So it seems his boat was not taking on water, but was very bow heavy.
There's also a "go fund me" page set up for him to raise $20k to get a new boat.

'96 Sea Ranger 19, 2016 Mercury 115 EFI CT (115F231D) 
'96 Sea Chaser 16, 2019 Suzuki DF60AV (Sold) 
'87 Sea Chaser 17, 1987 Johnson V4 90 (Sold)
My YouTube channel: youtube.com/socalseachaser

Threeweight

Irony is if he had waited 2 hours the bar would likely have calmed down significantly.  Those look like standing waves on an outgoing tide, not big breakers from swells.  Winds would have to be pretty darn strong to make me want to cross in conditions like that.  :bigshock:

Also highlights why boats designed for rough water and bar crossings in the PNW tend to have big, buoyant bows.  If you bury the nose, you want it to pop back up as quickly as possible.  I love the fishing space on those center consoles, but hate the potential to swamp like this.

I have a love-hate relationship with the open bow on my tin can.  I love the bow access, but I don't like the potential to hold a few hundred pounds of water up there if I bury the nose.  Mine is at least double walled... a lot of tin cans are single walled, and have anchor lockers up there that drain into the bilge.

Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

croaker stroker

I like having something to brace my knees against.  :wink:

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Rokefin

Very observant 3weight, I watched the video again. I cross a bar every time I go fishing, twice, but I pick my days. I need to start paying attention to more detail because one of these days I will be caught down south when the north wind sheer decides to move in quickly.

I also feel that love/hate relationship with the center councils and fish on one once in a while, as much as I like the room to move around, mainly rock fishing, I would never buy one. I also dislike the lack of protection from the elements. Same with the tin cans they are also very roomy, light, and have their pluses, but would never see myself buying one. I love the cuddy with the covered bow, like the fiberglass with the skip top and canvas so I am very well protected.

Old No7

Quote from: Yachter Yat on November 02, 2017, 05:42:16 AM
   Something similar to that happened to me some years ago while heading out the mouth of the Merrimack River in Newburyport...

NASTY stretch of water there Yat!

I've had a few hair-raising trips through there, made a couple of rescues (back in 70s-80s) and also turned many a boat back too -- mine included, a few times.

Oh, and one time a USCG boat passed us -- and they all looked scared and seasick!!  We wondered if we'd be rescuing them that day...

Old No7
"A bad day on an Arima, is better than a good day at work!"

Cannon

The guy was probably carrying an overload of illegal fish, he has history!
http://archive.tcpalm.com/news/palm-beach-co-commercial-fisherman-in-brevard-co-fined-50000-ep-383553388-343810082.html/ :shark:
Started a gofund me account too:
https://www.gofundme.com/replace-dave-sanders-boat
Remember, the ark was built by amateurs; while the Titanic was built by professionals.

Yachter Yat

WHAT?   This person broke the law, now wants to be funded?   This reminds me of a story about a guy who tried to sue a homeowner for assaulting him while he was breaking into his house.   :hoboy:

Yat
History is not the past; it's the present, as we all carry it with us......James Baldwin    
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Sparhawk

Make that +2. It was either full of water or he had WAY too much stuff in the bow. I wonder what position his trim tabs were in too though.
"God put me on this Earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Right now I am so far behind I will never die" - Calvin and Hobbes

Sparhawk:
1983 Tiderunner 150 Cuddy
1991 Mercury 60 2-stroke

AlexB

I was thinking the same thing about the trim tabs. Notice how the big coolers/boxes float high in the water once they're free from the boat. I guess they could have already lost their contents, but I don't see a big pile of dead fish or ice floating next to them...

Maybe those boxes were serving as livewells? That sure would be heavy...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ramblin' Rose - 2018 SC19 w/ Honda BF150 and BF8

Threeweight

Boxes may have been full when the boat flipped.  There is a gap in video about 11 seconds in... notice when you see the boxes bobbing at 12 seconds the boat has gone down and the boxes are all missing their lids.  Indicates to me something was in them and it sank.

From what I have read, his in-floor fish boxes were most likely packed with fish and ice, which is why he was riding so low. 
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson