Author Topic: Advice Needed! Sea Ranger - 19 & 21ft  (Read 929 times)

Offline mariner

Advice Needed! Sea Ranger - 19 & 21ft
« on: October 30, 2017, 08:11:58 PM »
Hello everyone,

I'm in a bit of a dilemma and wanted to get feedback from seasoned Arima owners who have owned the Sea Ranger 19 or 21ft boats.   My previous boat was a 19.5 Bayliner 192 Cuddy Cabin.  Used it on the lakes and in the Georgia Straight fishing for Salmon around Vancouver BC.  Just sold the boat and want to get a pure fishing boat.  Was looking into either getting a 19-20ft Aluminum fishing boat such as a Hewescraft ProV or Searunner or a similar aluminum fishing boat such as a ThunderJet or RH(River Hawk).  I've researched and have been on a few aluminum boats and understand the Pros and Cons of aluminum.  Like the idea that it's easy to trailer and that you can use a smaller engine(as compared to a Deep V fibreglass fishing boat), easy to maintain and the large back stern area for fishing and fishing gear... However, the downside is the rough and hard ride you get when the waves and wind picks up and the light nature of the boat makes it hard to dock when the tides, waves, and wind push against the boat.   The other option would be a 20-21 ft Fibreglass Fishing boat such as a Trophy or a Striper.  I found that the 17-18ft Fibreglass fishing boat to be too cramped and small so decided the min size would be 20-21 ft for fibreglass.  However, 20-21 ft fibreglass fishing boats(ones with a cuddy, side and rear enclosure around the bimini to keep you dry and warm, and walk around access to the bow) like the Striper or Trophy are VERY heavy boats... they are between 3000-3500 pounds and require at a MIN 150HP and more likely a 175 or 200HP outboard to provide sufficient power.   The hull deadrise is steeper than aluminum boats and therefore rides nicer but because of the increase drag of it being lower in the water, it more than doubles the fuel burn rate as compared to aluminum boats and due to the size of the boat can be tougher to park and trailer around.

I recently came across a few postings for Arima 19 and 21ft Rangers.  I did some research online and found alot of very positive feedback from owners.  Seems to be a lot of happy customers... Especially when the customers also live in the pacific northwest which means they fish in similar waters and in similar conditions.  What I don't understand is, when I look at the deadrise at the transom, it looks very flat as compared to a fibreglass fishing and even aluminum boats.  The flatness of the deadrise is likely a reason why I constantly hear about how stable the boat is..   I am now intrigued about this boat as to me, from the research I have conducted, the Arima 19 and 21ft sea ranger looks like it has the benefits of both fibreglass fishing and aluminum fishing boats.  Kinda the best of both worlds.... SO here are my questions to Arima owners:

1) With the stern deadrise being very mild, how does the boat ride when the winds pick up and it starts to get choppy?  Is it a very bouncy ride?   
2) I see a 21 ft Ranger paired with a Suzuki 115 as the main... This seems like an underpowered engine size to me for a 21ft boat.  On the Arima website it states the max power on the 21ft ranger is 150 but it states that it "recommends" a 115hp outboard...  Would it struggle to get on plane if you had 4-5 adults, gear, and full gas in the boat? 
3) Can Arima 19 and 21 ft ranger owners tell me what they have their boats paired with for a main engine and the performance specs?  (eg, cruising speed and RPM, WOT speed and RPM)
4) The back transom height where the splash well for the main engine resides looks to be low compared to other boats... Do you ever get water in the boat when you are backing up in windy conditions or when trolling for fish?
5) Does anyone know what year the Sea Ranger 19 and 21ft went to a straight "NO WOOD USED" composite construction?  I am wondering if any of the used boats that I am looking at in the 2005-2010 years had the wood-less composite construction.
6) Any disadvantages or things you don't like about the boat?
7) The Arima website stated something along the lines that Arima boats steer straight and that you don't need an autopilot to maintain a straight heading when you are fishing.  One of the things I don't like about fishing alone is having to run back and forth from helm to stern while setting my downriggers and fishing gear in the water... The boats I've been in often get pushed off course from winds or current or waves and I have to run back and forth while setting up my fishing gear.  I find it hard to believe an Arima would hold straight while I fish alone but I don't know as I've never fished or been on an Arima.  If I can eliminate the need to buy an expensive autopilot(which means I would have to get a higher end FishFinder and hydraulic steering to make the autopilot system work) that would be amazing.
8) I've noticed Arimas aren't self bailing.  I also notice the sides and transom heights for the Ranger 19 and 21 ft are lower than the typical fishing boat in that size.  Likely a contributing factor to the lower weight this boat has compared to other.  Anyone ever get water in the boat due to the smaller side and transom heights? 
9) I plan on adding a 9.9 kicker motor..  Is this a stern heavy boat and would adding a kicker make a substantial difference to performance(stability, time to plane etc)?
10) I've seen some 21ft Rangers without trim tabs... I would never see a 21ft Trophy or Striper without trim tabs.  Is this required and a must have for both the 19 and 21ft Rangers?
11) Any other info you could provide would be helpful about the boat, pros, cons, setup etc...

Sorry for asking so many questions but I am hoping I've found the perfect boat for my needs... I want a nice all rounder that I can mess around on a lake and also be in the straight(less than 15 knot winds) and feel safe and comfortable and if the winds kick up, will allow me to get back to the dock without being bashed and banged around jumping over waves like an aluminum boat does.

Thank you in advance for your help.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 08:20:19 PM by mariner »
'99 19 Sea Ranger HT: '98 Suzuki DT140: '03 Honda BF9.9

Offline GregE

Re: Advice Needed! Sea Ranger - 19 & 21ft
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 08:49:40 PM »
that's a pretty good list of questions-  and you've come to the right place.  You can probably tell many of us are Arima addicts.

The 21 hull is extended from the 19 mold.  Most feel it is the best riding model.

Engine size needs is not just length.  My SR 21 canvas had a Honda 130 that did well- put a hardtop on there and 150 would be better.  My SR 19 hardtop has a Yami 115 that does well also.

The splash well looks strange to first timers-  it does well as do the sponsons.  Mr Arima came up with a unique design.

2012 Defiance started using plastic filler panels to reinforce the seat mounts, transom core etc.  Up to then the plywood that was used to reinforce decks etc was encapsulated completely in fiberglass.  As you read about seat replacements ... you'll see that sealing the bolt holes is important.  Wood stringers went out in '84.

Check the Factory info for when models began and such
http://www.arimaowners.com/index.php?topic=109.0

Others will chime in-  good luck with your search.  If you're thinking about a SR 19 hard top.....  I'll have one listed soon.   :wink:

« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 09:41:54 PM by GregE »
Greg
Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT; SL 22 Honda 225
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:  Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat;
SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

Offline Markshoreline

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2017, 09:12:49 PM »
1. The boats ride great, but in increasing seas the larger boats are more comfortable. 
2. I think a 115 is fine with a 21 that is light and produces amazing mpg.  A heavier equipped boat with a larger crowd needs a 150, and uses a lot more fuel.
3. My 21 likes 3,400 rpm @ 3.7 mpg and about 21 mph with a 17" Yamaha 3 blade prop.
4. Yes, water comes into the splash well but I don't remember ever getting it into the deck.
5. There are always compromises with any boat- cuddy not large enough, deck not large enough, no self draining deck, sponsons limit space for transducers and trim tabs.  However, every boat is an amalgamation of benefits and disadvantages.  Arimas happen to be the best compromise for the Northwest inland waters, and work well off shore if you choose your days.
6. Yes, the non self draining deck causes you do use bilge pumps for draining. 
7. You don't need an autopilot though some guys use them but they are expensive and have issues.  If you have hydraulic steering the boat goes in a straight line.  I use a tiller and sit on the port sponson with my Scotty right beside me.  Outstanding way to fish for salmon.  You can rinse your hands in the salt, or rinse a bucket easily but no water ever comes in over the gunwales unless there is a still side wind.
8. The only source of water in my boats have been when I use buckets to clean the decks.  I just pump out he water.  You want to have two pumps and use gutter screens at the aft deck joints to keep seaweed and fish guts out of the pumps.
9. A 9.9 is a good match for a 21, but a 19 or 17 would do with an 8 or even a 6.  Yes, another 106 lbs on the port stern adds a list to the boat so it is good to have your batteries on the starboard as is customary.
10. All boats need trim tabs.  Passengers have differing weights, fuel supply lessens, folks move around.  Seas change.  You need to be able to trim your boat to maximize comfort and economy.
11. The guys here all feel that an Arima offers the best compromise of all the conditions our boats deal with in this environment.  Maybe in Florida you would want something different but up here we get waves, wind, cold and rain and having a protected front end with a cover over the captain and passengers and the ability to sleep over and even use the potty.  Arimas may not be the smoothest ride but they use less horsepower and are more stable in in seas, especially when drifting to fish.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 09:21:07 PM by Markshoreline »
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Online Fisherdv

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2017, 09:14:35 PM »
I can only comment on a couple of things I have experienced in the short time I’ve owned my new 16 sea chaser. The other more seasoned Arima owners can answer your questions better than I. I also had a Bayliner like the one you mentioned and also wanted a strictly fishing boat as the Bayliner was more of a family boat. I sold it and got an Aluminum fishing boat, sold it and now have the Arima. As far as the ride in the chop the Bayliner with the deeper V did cut the chop a bit better than both the others. The aluminum boat slapped real hard in a chop and had to slow way down or my back would get slammed. The Arima even though only a 16 seems to be about right in the middle of the two as far as ride. Again, I haven’t had it long enough to experience all conditions in it I’m just purely giving first impressions. The ride is much smoother than the aluminum though. The Arima feels very stable while walking about the boat. The fishing room is amazing. It’s the perfect boat for me. Of course the deeper V will give the better ride but as you said at the cost of heavier boat, more fuel, more HP required, less stable at a stand still etc. I think the Arima is the happy medium. I love mine.  :twocents:
2018, Sea Chaser 16, Honda 60HP

Online Fisherdv

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2017, 09:18:50 PM »
And I should also mention like you I wanted the ability to drop lines in the water while trolling and not have to keep running to the wheel. I went with hydraulic steering and the boat stays where you point it with no steering feedback. Of course with waves and wind you will still have to grab the wheel.
2018, Sea Chaser 16, Honda 60HP

Offline mariner

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2017, 09:47:48 PM »
Thanks for the feedback!  I am looking forward to hearing from others if you happen to have the time to write down your experience and feedback.

Offline AustinB

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2017, 10:00:51 PM »
After one season with my 21' Skip top Sea Ranger (with Yamaha 150 4-stroke) I can offer less than many on this board, but here it is: I love my boat. I was advised to get the 21, and would do so again in a heartbeat (although I would have NO reservations buying GregE's boat) given the improved sea handling and extra space. the 150 is way more than enough power for that hull. I'm sure that a 115-140 would be fine as well. I don't know my fuel burn, but I like to cruise at 24-26 knots and 4500-4600 RPM and I use WAY less gas than I did with my 17' Montauk, which had a 90 HP Yamaha Saltwater series 2-stroke. I have never had water come over the transom or over the gunnels. In choppy conditions the boat rides better if you slow down, which is fine, as it planes at lower speeds than many hulls with greater deadrise... in any case, I don't want to go 30 knots in crappy conditions. The main downside that I have noticed about the hull design is that the boat doesn't like a following sea and tends to bury the bow in a rather jarring manner in those conditions. Some of this is probably operator related and trimming the motor helps, trim tabs would probably help more. This one negative aspect is eclipsed by the Arima's many, many positives and I would buy this boat again. And again. And again.

Offline mariner

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2017, 10:15:31 PM »
Austin,

So you think a 21ft Arima Sea Ranger soft top would do fine with a 115 even if it was loaded with gas and gear and had 4-5 adults onboard?  Thanks

Offline GregE

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2017, 10:19:49 PM »
Are you fishing lakes- it could do OK.  Off shore with following seas you want to be able to run up hill when needed.

Where are you and what are your boating plans?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 10:23:32 PM by GregE »
Greg
Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT; SL 22 Honda 225
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:  Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat;
SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

Offline mariner

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2017, 10:29:35 PM »
GregE,  I live around Vancouver BC and would be using the boat for lazy days on the lake and salmon fishing along the Vancouver coastline.

Offline Dhil12

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2017, 10:39:00 PM »
Have you considered a Sea Legend? I'm the proud new owner of one and I can tell you it rides great and is a super stable fishing platform. I love my boat and would buy it again.

Darrell
2018 Sea Legend ht with bulkhead
2018 Yamaha 200
9.9 yamaha kicker

Offline mariner

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2017, 10:40:30 PM »
I would love a sea legend!  Just the pricepoint is out of my budget range.  I am looking at a used 19 or 21ft Sea Ranger.

Offline Markshoreline

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2017, 10:49:34 PM »
Yes a lighty loaded 21 with a 115 would be a very happy boat!  There are a number of 21 owners here who love that power range.

Offline rasslingref

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2017, 10:55:54 PM »
Buy a 21’.  The 19’ works for me and my 2 sons for all we do in Puget Sound and Neah Bay. But if you ever want to going tuna fishing 21’ or Sea Legend are the answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1998 19' SR HT 1999 Honda 90 Yamaha 9.9
Kitsap County, WA

Offline mariner

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2017, 10:59:49 PM »
Has any 19ft or 21ft owners had a scenario where the boat would not go on plane due to an overloaded boat?  I understand these boats are powered with smaller engines but wondering if anyone ever had a situation where they had too many people onboard along with full tank of gas and gear and had difficulties getting on plane.

Online beancounter

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2017, 12:27:37 AM »
I have a 19 sea chaser skip tower model with a Honda 90. Recently I was out fishing with full gas tank 48 gal, 850 lbs of fishermen,their gear plus 2 coolers with ice,6hp kicker motor and 2 batteries. Surprised me it jumped right up on plane no problem. I thought it would struggle but no problem. Key is having the correct prop to get good performance from the motor. 19 with a 90 is fine and a 115 on a 21 is also. Top speed will be slower with the smaller engines obviously. My top speed is about 24 knots but my cruise at 4500 rpm is 19-20 knots and I can live with that. Most days I only want to run 15-16 knots due to rough seas. These aren't speed boats.

Offline Rokefin

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2017, 08:35:33 AM »
Mariner, I have been over all your questions in my mind already and you are right on track on what you want. I think the 19 or 21 Arima's are in general a "perfect" boat for your needs, you could construct a boat from scratch with all your wants but in the end product I doubt it would be "perfect". I fish a 17 foot Chaser and a perfect boat for me would be a 21 Chaser or would maybe settle for a 19 foot - must have skip top and canvas protection. We all have different needs for our fishing/boating vessels, I'm sure you will be overjoyed with either Arima 19 or 21...
Boatless
Gone - 1989 17ft Arima Sea Chaser 2010 115 Yamaha 1995 9.9 Yamaha kicker - Bodega mostly

Offline Croaker Stroker

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2017, 11:43:56 AM »

If you don’t like the water coming through the splash-well drain, you could add a small scupper valve or duck-bill garboard.
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"If a fish will, he will… if he won't, he won't… and that's about it… except… he may take this when he won't take that."

Offline Rokefin

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2017, 12:33:09 PM »
Also, get the largest engine you can. I have a 115 on the 17 and wouldn't want anything less....I don't think you will ever hear anybody complain about their motor having too much horsepower.
Boatless
Gone - 1989 17ft Arima Sea Chaser 2010 115 Yamaha 1995 9.9 Yamaha kicker - Bodega mostly

Offline mariner

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2017, 12:49:01 PM »
thanks for all the comments and info guys.... I am starting to become convinced that Arimas are the boat for me... Before finding this forum I was struggling with the idea that I had to choose between Aluminum Fishing boat and the traditional deep V and super heavy Fibreglass Fishing boat that required a 150-200HP engine with very poor fuel economy and a pain to trailer and launch at the docks.   I liked the idea and benefits of the aluminum boat but I find them to be too RAW, loud and harsh in terms of a ride and not very stable size to size when drift fishing or slow trolling.  Also, when the wind kicks up it moves that boat like a sailboat.   Fibreglass fishing boats like the striper and trophy were poorly constructed for layout and fishable room in the stern for anything under 20ft.  You really need to be in a 21 or 22ft Trophy or Striper to have adequate room based on how they design the transom and rear fishing deck.  A 21 or 22ft Striper or Trophy is not only long and bulky, it's also very high and is overkill for me in terms of size, space and wasted features that I won't use. 

It seems to me like I can get the fuel economy and benefits of an aluminum boat in terms of weight(not quite as light as aluminum) while I get the stability and ride comforts of fibreglass.  I won't go out in wind conditions greater than 15 knots so I don't require high sides or a high transom.  You can't really take a 22ft trophy boat to some of the lakes that I'd like to visit. 

I am really getting pumped about this... now.. only if I can find a reasonably priced 19 or 20 ft Arima that is properly equiped and has an engine that is in good shape.  Anyone interested in selling or know of anyone selling a 19 or 21 ft sea ranger?

Offline First Cabin

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2017, 01:18:22 PM »

I am really getting pumped about this... now.. only if I can find a reasonably priced 19 or 20 ft Arima that is properly equiped and has an engine that is in good shape?

LOL.  You and everyone else!  If you find one, you had better jump.  The sharks here will beat you to it!

:shark:

You are going to find that the 19 and 21’ers in good shape, sell quickly for top dollar and for good reason as they are excellent!  Save up your cash and be ready to pounce....you won’t have days to decide to buy...more like minutes.

Based on what you describe, you want a 21’er with a 130-150hp, skip tower and trim tabs... $20k minimum in good shape.   What’s your budget?
First:  1982 15' SeaHunter, Yamaha 70 2-stroke, Yamaha F6
Second:  1987 17' SeaRanger, Merc 90 2-stroke, Yamaha F8
Current:  2002 17' SeaChaser, Yamaha F100, Yamaha T8

Offline mariner

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2017, 01:22:53 PM »
I am willing to pay market value and have cash and hope I can pounce fast enough.. :beerchug:

Online BruceL2_Fish

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2017, 01:56:58 PM »
I have a 19SR, and have owned a striper and Olympic boats.   The Arima is by far the most Flexible boat I have owned.  As others have said, motor well and splashing onto deck not a problem.  My 19 with skip tower, 115 Suzuki four stroke and 9.9 Honda XLS work great even when heavily loaded. 
2012 Sea Ranger 19 (M. LaDeane)
Suzuki 115 Four Stroke
Honda 9.9 Kicker

Offline Markshoreline

« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2017, 02:07:15 PM »
You don't hear people complaining of too much horsepower but you do hear complaints about too much weight in the aft.  21 convertibles are not in as much demand as the hardtops and skip tops so they cost less, but are an ideal boat.  The convertible top when folded creates a ton of room but you can lift the top and snap on the windows and hopefully back curtain and be snug inside when its cold and rainy.  Being lighter they would be fine with lower horsepower, such as a 115.  Also the smaller motor is less in demand, lowering cost.  FWilliams here is one of the owners of a 21 HT with a 115 and I'm sure he'd answer a PM about his boat's excellent performance.

Offline mariner

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2017, 04:57:06 PM »
thanks for the info.  I called an Arima dealer today and he said that he would never pair a 21ft Arima with a 115.  He would do 135-150 at a minimum.  I would rather get advice from folks who own the boat and have had countless hours of experience from them than someone who sells them and may have been on one for a few hours a few years back during a customer demo ride.