Author Topic: Good and bad on trim tabs  (Read 382 times)

Offline rockknocker

Good and bad on trim tabs
« on: October 28, 2017, 09:53:05 PM »
My neighbor has some trim tabs for sale. Came off his 17ft sea chaser. The ones you put a pin in for adjustment. He said he didnt like them for the way the boat handled on a plane. Felt very unstable. Take off was great.  Anyone have any input. Thanks in advance.

Offline Markshoreline

Re: Good and bad on trim tabs
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 10:03:12 PM »
They sound like smart tabs which are good for the price.  Downside is you can’t adjust side to side while running but if your boat has a list to one side you can set them up accordingly.  Other issue is beaching the boat can damage them.  Since I beached my 19 a lot while boat camping I made quick releases that allowed me to lift them from inside the boat and they worked great.
Also in following seas such as coming back in over a bar, the smart tabs will continue to press the bow down at the bottom of a wave- that can be dangerous.
Otherwise they help a lot for the price.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Offline mariner

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2017, 11:36:42 AM »
It had a pair of them on my prior boat, a 19.5 ft fibreglass cuddy.  They worked very well.  Prior to installation, even the deep hull design on my cuddy took a pounding in a few areas that I frequent due to the areas having a combined effect with winds/current and tides.  The ride was night and day after installation.  I found the bow wondering that I had before with my I/O engine was greatly reduced.  Much quicker time to plane and it kept the nose down to cut through chop.  It also acted like a suspension in the transom so when you do bounce over waves the landing is not as hard as they have a cushioning effect.  I also noticed that when I turned the boat the lean angle side to side wasn't as steep.   Made the ride much much better and for the price point it was the best add-on that anyone can get for the small price.

Downsides: 
1) If you happen to have any hydrofoils on your outboard or outdrive they must be taken off.  The smart tabs counter-act the effects of the hydrofoils and does not perform well when both are on the boat.
2) If found it difficult to properly trim my boat in calm waters to maximize speed and fuel burn.  Because the nose was push down by the lifting action of the smart tabs, I had a very limited trim angle on the outdrive and could not get the optimal trim angle to get me max speed and fuel efficiency due to the increase drag on a large portion of the hull being in the water.  However, I didn't mind as the benefits of improved ride and handling greatly outweight the minor difference in not getting max fuel economy.
3) As indicated by the prior post, you can't adjust side to side. 
4) I also found the adjustments in the different hole positions to be very minor to the point I couldn't tell the difference between lowest and highest position.
5) I never beached my boat but can't imagine it would be a big issue with the smart tabs.  They don't hang that much lower than the hull bottom and when you beach your boat, you aren't likely going to have the entire bottom hull touching bottom or else you will not likely be able to get the boat out.   
1999 19 Sea Ranger HT
1998 Suzuki DT140
2003 Honda BF9.9

Offline Rokefin

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2017, 12:35:55 PM »
I've read many threads on trim tabs and have concluded for the price the Lenco electric (adjustable) is a good buy. The smart tabs work for some but I would not recommend a non-adjustable trim tab. Bennets are pricey but very good.
1989 17ft Arima Sea Chaser 2010 115 Yamaha 1995 9.9 Yamaha kicker - Bodega mostly

Offline J Chaser

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2017, 12:39:44 PM »
I have Lencos and they are excellent.

John
Sea Chaser 1511, Yamaha F70, Yamaha F6 kicker

Offline Salmon Hobo

• Coho
  • “Genius: the ability to prolong one's childhood.”
  • View Gallery
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2017, 11:29:19 PM »
Had a set on a deep V 18' boat I used to own and they were great.  once you get going the pressure kind of lifts them up but when you slow down they drop down and help get on plane fast...

Offline Diablo

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2017, 10:04:16 AM »
My neighbor has some trim tabs for sale. Came off his 17ft sea chaser. The ones you put a pin in for adjustment. He said he didnt like them for the way the boat handled on a plane. Felt very unstable. Take off was great.  Anyone have any input. Thanks in advance.

Your neighbor had them adjusted for the hole shot and not helpful on plane. If he had tabs that could be adjusted underway he wouldn’t have taken them off. I would pass on those an spend the extra $ on electric or hydraulic tabs. I adjust my trim every time I am out on the boat. I just can’t stand running with a list.  :twocents: 
'98 19SR  '15 E Tec 115, '10 Honda 8
'88 17SR  '90 Johnson 90, Honda 8, SOLD