News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Looking at boats again...

Started by EggLoop, December 27, 2011, 02:38:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

strokersquid

Nice looking, not very old, Honda, what's not to like ? Oh, ANOTHER PNWer stealing an Arima from my state. Don't you guys have enough up there already ?

EggLoop

Late update: had a chance on Saturday to go for a test drive.  Initially the Honda ran a little rough at low RPMs (stalled after the first WOT run) but ran successively better.  The dealer (Brad) was hoping that pumping the old gas out and putting in conditioner would be enough (boat sat for close to a year), but he's decided to clean the carbs.  Planning on seeing the boat again next Saturday.  Also took another measurement and the trailer+boat will fit into our garage.
2001 Sea Explorer 16'

LvrWurst 21 SR Skip

EggLoop....Sounds like you and your Dad are almost there with that purchase.  As for bigger boats and garage door clearances, I didn't hear anyone suggest taking air out of the tires or knocking the tires off and using a dolly to get it into the garage. Yuk Yuk...Sounds like your having some fun. Best of luck! JW
19' Jetcraft  Like new 115 Yami 4 Stroke 
SOLD  16 Sea Explorer - 17 SR Skip -19 SR Skip - 21 SR Skip

German Sausages are the WURST!

Salmon King

EL...

There's a Guy on the YUKU site selling a 94 16'SE outfit...$8000.

You might want to check it out.  He's in Vancouver B.C.

http://arimaboatownersgroup.yuku.com/topic/2113/1994-16-Sea-Explorer-For-Sale

Terry B.
PLEASE...Fly your flag Proudly, and remember to thank a Vet!
2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

Vancouvertechie

Quote from: Salmon King on January 09, 2012, 09:26:30 PM
EL...

There's a Guy on the YUKU site selling a 94 16'SE outfit...$8000.

You might want to check it out.  He's in Vancouver B.C.

http://arimaboatownersgroup.yuku.com/topic/2113/1994-16-Sea-Explorer-For-Sale

Terry B.

I email the guy and he emailed back then blew me off when I asked for photos.  I think he prefers a local buyer, but it is only a 6 hour drive up there. Which is no problem for me.  I flew to Phoenix last year to drive a boat back with a friend to Carnation, WA in 24 hours. 

What do you do?

VT
2003 15' SeaHunter 50HP Suzuki (FI4Strk)
1991 16' SeaChaser 50HP Johnson (Keith)
1995 19' SeaRanger 115 Yamaha (FI4Strk)
1992 Zodiac Hurricane Honda 135HP
1987 44' Tollycraft Motoryacht

Salmon King

VT...I'd try again...

Post a public reply to his ad AND PM, If he lists an email...email him too.  
Sure looks like a good deal.

Try calling him...He's in Surrey B.C.......778-246-1820

Terry B.
2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

EggLoop

Late update again: ended up buying the Explorer!  The owner ended up dropping the price a bit more to help sweeten the deal as well.  No pictures yet as the snow started coming down heavy about halfway home.  Currently the boat is in the garage (squeezed in) getting cleaned up and awaiting some parts.

I do have a question for any 16' owners: any input on kickers?  We have been searching craigslist without too much luck.  Currently looking at Suzkuki, Tohatsu, and Yamaha 6hp outboards to try and keep the weight down and use the factory Garelick bracket. 
- Do the single cylinder outboards vibrate as much as people say they do?  It will be used for trolling mainly and as a backup in case the main goes down
- How significant is the weight difference?  I'm seeing high 50/low 60 for 6hp, vs. 79 for the Classic 8 and mid 80s for the other 8hp kickers
2001 Sea Explorer 16'

GoodDays

Well Done !!!!!  You will not regret your decision to buy an Arima !!   

GoodDays Greg

Chief of the Boat

EggLoop,
Congratulations on your new boat.  Is the factory kicker bracket the stainless steel one?  If it is they say not for 4 strokes. I replaced the original (94 vintage) Garelick stainless with the exact same one (don't want to drill new holes) for the 94 6hp 2 stroke Yamaha kicker because it was torqued and hard to operate.  I had the same bracket on my Sea Hunter and it has a 9.9 hp Suzuki 4 stroke.  I was worried that my motor would fall off, I replaced it with a Fulton bracket.  I had to drill new holes and place falling wedges to compensate for the transom angle.
Good Luck,
Terry

Salmon King

...and the FUN begins!! :party: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

amazing grace

Congrats. You are going to ablsolutely love that Honda. Get her running right and there is none better.  :party:
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

1997 19' Sea Ranger hardtop with Alaskan bulkhead

fishing eagle

Yes after owning a Tohatsu 5 hp four stroke and a Suzuki 6 hp four stroke kicker(s) with single cylinders... they do vibrate much more than any twin cylinder including two strokes. I think if you investigate thing that you will find that Honda and Yamaha do manufacture a twin cylinder 6 hp four-stroke. They will just be more high end in price but you will be much happier.
(Reel Delight) a 2001 Sea Ranger 19, 2003 Honda 90, 2010 Yamaha T8 w/power tilt, Panther T4 steering system, Hummingbird electronics, & Scotty 1116 electric downriggers.
U.S. Navy Veteran, member of U.S. Power Squadron & Past President of Lake George Fishing Alliance (Retired & ready to fish!)

woody

Mer's older 6 hp is a twin in a two stroke.  On the market often and good running, easy to home care and a real nice runner.  Light.
Should run around $500-600 for a nice clean one.

Woody

LvrWurst 21 SR Skip

EggLoop....Good to hear you DONE-DOOD-IT. Now I can stop looking for you. When you can, please post some B4 or as is  pics. I am so excited for you. It feels so good to watch someone else spend their money. Welcome to Arima Boat Ownership!
19' Jetcraft  Like new 115 Yami 4 Stroke 
SOLD  16 Sea Explorer - 17 SR Skip -19 SR Skip - 21 SR Skip

German Sausages are the WURST!

Threeweight

Unless you are looking at two strokes, I'd skip the 6 hp jobs and look for an 8 hp.  And I am in the camp that really, really hates two stroke kickers.

Honda "Classic" 8 or a later model Merc 8.  The extra 20# you can offset by putting some downrigger balls or other weight forward in your boat.  Does your Explorer have a water tank in the cuddy?  If so, you can keep it full and offset the weight.

I'd just stay away from the big 100+ pound kickers.

Couple of promising leads in the PDX area...

http://portland.craigslist.org/nco/boa/2809809586.html

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/boa/2802082982.html

Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

EggLoop

Chief: yes, it is the stainless Garelick mount.  It also has the bottom reinforced, so it looks like it's the 71033 model(?).  I was a bit worried because I also saw that it was made for 2-strokes on Garelick's website, but the boat has a 2nd line plumbed into the fuel/water separator and I can see marks where a previous kicker was mounted.   If anyone has this bracket and can confirm that would be great.

FE: thanks for the info.  We have been going back and forth and it looks the better option is a 2cyl.

3wt: it has the water tank up front, although the pump has been disconnected (I'll probably have questions on that later).  Thanks for CL links, Portland is a little far (400 mile roundtrip) but I'll see what my dad thinks. 

On another note, how should I determine what a fair price is?  I've looked at NADA guides, but that's usually under what's on the market. 
For example, this Honda 8: http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/boa/2810995406.html.  I haven't seen too many of these, and the last one I saw was an '02 that sold for $950 in about a week.

Thank you ABOG, we're pretty excited about the Explorer and this forum has been great in our short time here  :applause:
2001 Sea Explorer 16'

fishing eagle

I had a 71033 SS Garelick on my last boat and a Suzuli 6 hp 4 stroke mounted on it. That mount woked okay for the 6HP as it was within the max. weight range but I would not suggest mounting a 8 hp four-stroke like a Honda or Yamaha on  the 71033 as I think you are asking for trouble.
(Reel Delight) a 2001 Sea Ranger 19, 2003 Honda 90, 2010 Yamaha T8 w/power tilt, Panther T4 steering system, Hummingbird electronics, & Scotty 1116 electric downriggers.
U.S. Navy Veteran, member of U.S. Power Squadron & Past President of Lake George Fishing Alliance (Retired & ready to fish!)

woody

Eggloop

Search motor mounts (kickers, etc) on this site, we posted by the model numbers weights loads, etc.

Woody

woody

Eggloop

Just looked it up, it's my post 368 in Arima Forum, Tips and Tricks. Subject Re: Kicker Bracket Recommendations.

Pretty much gives the numbers and motor, weight and size for all Garlick mounts.

369   Arima Forum / Tips & Tricks / Re: Kicker Bracket Recommendations  on: June 20, 2011, 02:13:09 PM

PM me if I can help.

Woody

woody

Loopy:

The search engine on this site is not very good and unless you know how to scam this site past postings are some times difficult to find.  I copied and pasted the meat of the posts (started by Grizzle) and this is part of my post.  Hope it helps.

Listed 4 Stroke                       Listed 2 Stroke

71095    148#                         71040      59#        71074       82#       71056     115#      *71091      175#
71091    175#                         71037      59#        71075       75#       71057     115#        71044      135#
71092    175#                         71042      82#        71078       75#       71033     118#      *71090      169#
71090    169#                         71039      82#        71075       75#      *71095     148#       71096      248#

Woody

Threeweight

Pricing kickers seems to be more art than science.  In general, I'd say $800-1000 is ok for a 4 stroke 8 hp in good shape without power tilt and elec start.  For one with all the bells and whistles, I'd expect to pay more like 1200-1500.  Of course, the bells and whistles add weight.

The Honda BF8A is kind of an odd ball.  Honda mechanics recommend it very highly for durability, and a ton were sold as either kickers or sail boat motors.  On the other hand, the throttle on them is very finicky (I added a Trollmaster remote to mine), and they need a little tinkering to work well as a kicker (hotter plugs and thermostat to get them to run at the correct temperature at low RPM's, and a hi-thrust prop helps). 

While I love mine, I got it for a song.  I'd say less than $800 is what I'd shoot for for one in good shape.  $1000 would be too much for me, especially with used Merc's of much newer vintage running $1000-1200.  This is the time of year to buy.

Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

fishing eagle

I am sure you must be speaking about prices on a used kicker and then that really depends on the age of the kicker and the hours the previous owner has on it. Or maybe on how bad he seller needs to sell it. Prices for a new 8hp 4 stroke is another story. Heck I sold my 6 hp Suzuki for $1350 after using it for 4 seasons. Maybe it is east coast prices but good kickers are hard to find.

My Yamaha T8 with elec. start, power tilt. and remote controls retailed for $3600.00. I did get a good deal on it when I purchased it 2 years ago and saved almost $1000 with a good dealer sale and factory rebate program. I think you will find that a fairly basic 8 hp four stroke will run at least $2000 at a decent deal price. I paid $1650 for a Suzuki 6 hp 4-stroke manual start with no generator or any frills in 2006.

EggLoop

Hmm...more things to think about.  Thanks for the info FE and woody.  Putting an 8hp kicker on the existing bracket was one of our concerns, which led me to do research some beefier brackets like the AL garelick and some fixed brackets.  After talking with Brad at King Salmon he thought the BF8A would be the max for the existing bracket, as long as it's secured during transport.  But hearing FE's experience with just a 6 makes me hesitant to keep the garelick

3wt: I've read about the t-stat/plugs a few times here and another board, doesn't seem like too hard of a fix.  Looked up the Trollmaster earlier, that looks pretty useful.  Right now we're still looking for a used Honda and hoping to nab one at a good price.

btw woody, here's a good way to search through the forum (and any others).  Go to google and type in the following and it should list the thread:
site:arimaboatownersgroup.com Kicker Bracket Recommendations
2001 Sea Explorer 16'

GoodDays

I ran my 8 hp Honda on the stock bracket for about a year after buying the boat... Then I noticed the huge crack in the bracket...... I guess it just wasnt up to the weight.... It is on my list of projects to get it welded up... but I will be taking the kicker off to trailer the boat from now on !...

GoodDays Greg

StreamFixer

An 8 hp 4s Johnson (85 Lbs) ran on a Graelich for 11 years with no problem.  Running Yamaha T-8 (115 lb) there now, with no apparent problem.  Bracket rated at 135 lb.  Heavier motor a lot easier to put down.

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu