Author Topic: Bow roller, Does this look right?  (Read 834 times)

Offline AJFishin

Bow roller, Does this look right?
« on: October 25, 2017, 06:26:58 PM »
I've been meaning to post this but haven't, because I keep forgetting to, till today when I was putting my new bow eye chain on.

What I'm asking is, is the bow eye supposed to be above the roller? It's been like this since I bought the boat and there's been no issues, knock on wood. But to me it looks wrong, since on all of my boats the roller has been above the eye. Also the winch strap seems incorrect.
Not sure if it matters or not.
What's your thoughts?

« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 06:41:30 PM by AJFishin »
1996 Arima Sea Chaser 1511
96' Yamaha 70HP - 2 stroke
Poachers = zero tolerance

! Go Kings Go !

Online Croaker Stroker

Re: Does this look right?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 06:32:38 PM »

No. It doesn’t look right. There is nothing to prevent the boat moving up on the roller if you slam on the brakes.....and I don’t see a safety chain or cable.
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"If a fish will, he will… if he won't, he won't… and that's about it… except… he may take this when he won't take that."

Offline Wiley

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 06:36:28 PM »
Agree with c.s. Nope the eyebolt goes under the roller see if you can see it in the picture of mine  under “should have listened to Gary”
96 sea explorer 15'-11" new 90 etec named (wutz wuzn cuzn)
10' Don Hill Pram
 Respectfully, Build, Buy, Be American

Offline Holoholo808

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 06:40:51 PM »
Can you change the angle of the arm that the winch is mounted to?  As others have mentioned, you want the roller above the eye and the winch strap should be as horizontal as possible to the bow eye.
1611 SC Honda BF90D

For easier searching go to Google and type "site:www.arimaowners.com (search term)"

Offline AJFishin

Re: Bow roller, Does this look right?
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 06:45:57 PM »
Agree with what your saying.

Just so I do this correct, the winch should go under, and not sit on top, right?

! Go Kings Go !

Offline La-Z-Buoy

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 07:06:59 PM »
Some time ago I called a trailer manuf. for advice and among other things we discussed the bow eye/roller positioning. Correct, the bow eye should come up under the bow roller. This "locks" the bow in a position so as not to move up or down. Currently, as others have said, your bow could lift up quite a ways. Not pretty when you look in your rear view mirror and the boat is bobbing around like a boxer getting ready for a fight    :bigshock: .

It looks like you can adjust the height of the winch post. I'd bring it up so the roller would fit down on the bow eye when the boat is situated correctly loaded on the trailer. With your setup the angle of the strap at that point would be pretty severe. Not sure how you would remedy that without further modification.
Richard

1991 19' Sea Ranger HT
DF 140 Suzuki, Honda 8

Offline Peddler

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2017, 07:13:05 PM »
Agree with what your saying.

Just so I do this correct, the winch should go under, and not sit on top, right?

Some winches can be reversed, and the strap wound the other way, coming off the bottom of the drum vs the top. I think this would be your best option, assuming you can raise the tower height to get the roller above the eye.

If the winch cannot be reversed, you can install it "backwards," which will accomplish the goal of having the strap come off the bottom of the spool, but it's a bit inconvenient to have the winch handle on the other side of the trailer tongue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Online Croaker Stroker

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2017, 07:25:54 PM »

Except bounce strap and “M” bow-eye, this is how it came from Pacific trailer.

"If a fish will, he will… if he won't, he won't… and that's about it… except… he may take this when he won't take that."

Offline StreamFixer

• Administrator
  • Fisherman
  • Have Rod, Will Travel
  • View Gallery
    • StreamFix
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2017, 08:22:42 PM »
Winch appears to be bolted on top of the arm.  If you can, simply bolt the winch to the bottom and your issue should be solved.

StreamFixer
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top
'03 Yamaha 115 EFI
'05 Yamaha T8 Solas 4 blade prop

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu'

Offline AJFishin

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2017, 08:56:44 PM »
Thank you everyone for helping me straighten this out and thanks CS for the picture.
 :beerchug:

I just flipped the wench.

But then I noticed the previous owner must have at one time moved the tower back, don't know why? :hoboy:

BUT now it explains why my boat hangs off of the trailer.

Can't move the boat tonight, so this weekend when I come back in from fishing, it looks like I have some work to do at the ramp. Move back the tower and adjust everything. Glad I'm fishing solo this weekend so I don't feel rushed.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 09:03:06 PM by AJFishin »

! Go Kings Go !

Online Croaker Stroker

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2017, 09:06:06 PM »

Now you can slide the post up above the eye-bolt  :applause:

Online Fisherdv

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2017, 09:41:00 PM »
I had a Klamath aluminum boat that I put the roller under the bow eye so I could launch my boat from a pier. They had a crane that would lift the boat off of the trailer and into the water. The straps from the crane attached to the bow eye, and I put two eye bolts on the stern that the other straps attached to. Maybe that’s why the previous owner moved it? I did however put a strap like in CS pics to hold the bow eye down while trailering.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 09:46:06 PM by Fisherdv »
2018, 16 ft Arima Sea Chaser, Honda 60HP

Offline AJFishin

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2017, 10:58:15 PM »
Fisherdv you got me thinking.
I remembered when I was talking to the original owner, older man, and he said him and his friend only fished in local lakes. Growing up on our lakes down here, I've never seen a boat hoist at the lakes for launching.  So that got me thinking back when I first got the boat and I started to look at some pictures I took a couple years ago.
Then I remembered I had taken the boat into a shop the day after I got it to get the bunks adjusted because the boat sat right on the fenders of the trailer.
While I was looking at the pictures I noticed the wench was upside down and the tower appears to be in the correct position when I first got it.
So for some reason, the shop must have also adjusted the tower and flipped the wench. :bigshock: I don't see why they thought that was necessary?

I think the reason I didn't notice them flipping it, is that I hadn't even owned the boat for 48 hours and I didn't pay attention to the wench on this boat prior.

Boy I feel stupid :doh:

Here's a picture of when I first got the boat and you can see the wench is flipped.

:facepalm: :doh:

For myself, 2 things solved tonight, lol   :jester:
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 11:26:34 PM by AJFishin »

! Go Kings Go !

Online Croaker Stroker

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2017, 11:50:54 PM »

AJ,

What day are you going ?

Offline AJFishin

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2017, 09:16:04 AM »

AJ,

What day are you going ?

Saturday and possibly Sunday out of Davies around 630
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 09:42:46 AM by AJFishin »

! Go Kings Go !

Offline Old No7

• Coho
  • Arima Sea Ranger 19' ~ Honda BF130 4-Stroke
  • View Gallery
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2017, 11:52:49 AM »
...and I didn't pay attention to the wench on this boat...

That's one of the Top 10 Rule For Boaters...

Always pay attention to the WENCH!!!
You just might want her, um, "benefits", or you may need her help some time...  :yeahthat:

Old No7
"A bad day on an Arima, is better than a good day at work!"

Offline AJFishin

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2017, 08:52:03 PM »
I hear you Old No. 7

! Go Kings Go !

Offline AJFishin

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2017, 02:57:02 PM »
 I adjusted the winch stand/post and pushed it back, but I ran into an issue. The bow eye now rest just below, but on the roller. I pulled the winch stand extension up, but I can not go any further because there's not enough length to secure and tighten the stand extension to the set screw/bolt and keep it safe.

I reached out to Pacific Trailer and it looks like their suggestion is to buy a new longer winch stand.

You guys have any suggestions? Should the boat sit differently on the trailer, or what?

Thanks

! Go Kings Go !

Online Croaker Stroker

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2017, 03:08:26 PM »

Online Markshoreline

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2017, 03:44:37 PM »
Yes, the roller should snug up just under that top knuckle.  Does the height of that post adjust?
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Offline AJFishin

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2017, 04:08:19 PM »

Maybe you could just buy a taller winch post instead of the whole stand ??

https://www.pacifictrailers.com/collections/winch-post-mounts/products/straight-galvanized-boat-trailer-winch-post-base?variant=36463406026

The guy at PT said I should not get the straight one, wouldn't work with the set up I have. He sent me pictures of 2 different post at 15* angle (not listed on their site) and asked for some measurements. I sent the info to him and emailed him a second time but still have not heard back. Maybe he had to much candy last night  :jester:

Yes, the roller should snug up just under that top knuckle.  Does the height of that post adjust?

Yes the post does adjust, but I adjusted it as far as I can and still feel safe. It only can go up another 2 inches, maybe less, but then the bolt will be at the very bottom of the post.
I feel if I adjust that far up and if I have to step on the brakes hard, the boat is going to push the post forward and pop it off.

It looks like I will have to get a longer post, but I feel like if I move something it will fit.  :shrug9:

! Go Kings Go !

Online Fisherdv

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2017, 04:20:19 PM »
Aj, is that a Pacific trailer? I had a Pacific trailer that I loved, but the winch never made sense to me no matter how I adjusted it.

Online Fisherdv

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2017, 04:54:28 PM »
I think the problem with that style winch post is that if you have the winch on the bottom like in your last pics the strap angle is to sharp. Cannot pull the boat up on the trailer like that it wants to pull the bow “down”. If the winch is on top, then the bow eye is above the roller. You may want to try a whole new post/winch set up.

Offline AJFishin

« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2017, 06:17:35 PM »
Fisherdv yes it's a Pacific Trailer.
On my last couple boats I had no issues with a Pacific Trailer, but for some reason, with this trailer, I feel like it doesn't sit properly.
Yeah looking at a new post/winch set up is something I was looking into.
But hopefully Pacific Trailer will get back to me and I'll see what they say about getting a new post and or adjusting it in a better position.
If I have to I'll bring it to them, they're about 30 minutes from me. :jester:

! Go Kings Go !

Online Fisherdv

« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2017, 06:25:14 PM »
With that style winch post I don’t think you’re going to get the strap to have a straight pull.  I’ll try to post some pictures later of the winch post I have now but it’s really hard to post pictures on this site either the file is too large or they always come out upside down :shrug9:

Offline Wiley

« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2017, 06:46:57 PM »
That’s how my Pacific is setup. And it pulls it up the bunks just fine, but then I did recarpet last year and occasionally hit them with some spray silicone... slides like butter then.
10' Don Hill Pram

Online Fisherdv

« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2017, 07:50:33 PM »
Here’s a pic from the EZ loader 2100# I have now. The strap goes through and under the roller. It may solve your problems if it will work on your trailer. You should be able to order from EZ loader. :shrug9: :twocents:

Offline StreamFixer

• Administrator
  • Fisherman
  • Have Rod, Will Travel
  • View Gallery
    • StreamFix
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2017, 09:11:03 PM »
Will the winch still work if you reverse the strap on to the drum?  Feed from the top instead of the bottom?

StreamFixer
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top
'03 Yamaha 115 EFI
'05 Yamaha T8 Solas 4 blade prop

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu'

Online Fisherdv

« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2017, 09:31:03 PM »
Will the winch still work if you reverse the strap on to the drum?  Feed from the top instead of the bottom?

StreamFixer
That may very well work for him. May have to turn the drum 180 degrees so the handles on the other side

Offline AJFishin

« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2017, 09:35:06 PM »
SF: no I tried and it doesn't work that way :facepalm:

Wiley I saw a picture of your boat and I noticed your trailer is wider than mine. My boat sits above the fenders as yours sits in-between. So I think your boat sits lower and the post on your trailer is correct for your set up.
I think on mine, the 12" post is a incorrect height for my set up. So if I can't figure out a fix, I think I'll just bite the bullet and get a new set up like Fisherdv or maybe Pacific Trailer will reply  back and I can get  a longer post from them.

Thanks for the help guys, appreciate it :beerchug:

This is a picture of the posts they sent me, but I have no idea what the heights are on them.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 10:25:31 PM by AJFishin »

! Go Kings Go !

Offline Rokefin

« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2017, 07:30:08 AM »
AJFishin
You are correct about the height, my boat also sits above the fenders and I know my post is taller than 12 inches.
1989 17ft Arima Sea Chaser 2010 115 Yamaha 1995 9.9 Yamaha kicker - Bodega mostly

Offline Wiley

« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2017, 07:57:45 PM »
Wow, above the fenders . I would have to back my truck down the ramp until the front tires were wet..   :facepalm:
10' Don Hill Pram

Offline AJFishin

« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2017, 09:20:42 PM »
Wow, above the fenders . I would have to back my truck down the ramp until the front tires were wet..   :facepalm:

If I didn't have an extended trailer tongue, I would probably have to do that, especially at the ramp I launch from. :jester:

! Go Kings Go !

Online Fisherdv

« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2017, 09:37:40 PM »
I just had a look at mine, the boat is almost even with the fenders on my new boat

Offline AJFishin

« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2017, 08:17:31 PM »
I talked with Hector at Pacific Trailer today and he has 26" post at a 15 degree angle for $65 that I'm going to go check out on Tuesday. He asked for me to bring my boat by so he can take a look at it and make sure everything is set up correctly.
We'll see how things go on Tuesday.

Thanks guys for all the input. :beerchug:

! Go Kings Go !

Online Fisherdv

« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2017, 08:49:29 PM »
 Hope they get it worked out for you. Give an update on the results  :beerchug:

Online Croaker Stroker

« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2017, 09:03:59 PM »

They are pretty good at customer service. My boat was missing the spare tire and the owner brought it to me on his way home.

Offline AJFishin

« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2017, 11:45:34 AM »
Just got back from Pacific Trailer and talked to Hector, good guy. He brought out 2 different post and attached the correct size for my set up. Then I was surprised, he installed it for me and did a once over on the trailer and said everything was good. Great customer service at Pacific Trailer.

Also while I was there I met a fellow Arima owner (sorry forgot his name) who just recently purchased an early model 17 foot Sea Chaser. He has been looking around on here, so hope to see him start posting soon. He said since he purchased his Arima him and his wife have been out hooping and, like us, loves his Arima.

Here's a few pictures:

Can you spot the Arima in the aerial photo?

Here's my NEW and old post; I still need to re-adjust the strap to the correct position. :dance:
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 12:09:16 PM by AJFishin »

! Go Kings Go !

Online Fisherdv

« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2017, 12:29:36 PM »
Glad you got it worked out  :beerchug:

Offline Sparhawk

« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2017, 01:07:43 PM »
Looks good! I have always run the cable over the top of the roller and put the safety changes below. Happy you got it solved though!
"God put me on this Earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Right now I am so far behind I will never die" - Calvin and Hobbes

1983 Tiderunner 150 Cuddy
70 Horsepower Evinrude

Offline AJFishin

« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2017, 04:35:12 PM »
Thanks guys and thanks for all the input too, appreciated :beerchug:

! Go Kings Go !

Offline Tom Mac

« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2017, 05:31:10 PM »
I think the strap should be on the top of the winch. Are you able to unwind the strap and crank it back on the other way. The roller looks to be the correct height but I can't see how it would pull the boat up tight it looks to be pulling down.
1991 Sea Ranger 17, 2014 F90 Yamaha, 2008 T8 Yamaha

Online Fisherdv

« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2017, 05:54:27 PM »
I think the strap should be on the top of the winch. Are you able to unwind the strap and crank it back on the other way. The roller looks to be the correct height but I can't see how it would pull the boat up tight it looks to be pulling down.
I agree, I had a boat with a strap angle like that and all it did was pull the boat down. It would not pull the boat up on the trailer

Online Fisherdv

« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2017, 06:25:31 PM »
AJ, you might want to try to turn the winch around 180 degrees so the handle is on the other side  and see if you can have the strap pulling from the top. I would also move the post down a bit so the roller sits under the notch on the hull and right on top of the bow eye. “Right in between the two”

Online Fisherdv

« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2017, 06:32:40 PM »
Looking at the picture again I don’t think you’re going to be able to turn the roller 180° it looks like it would hit the post. If there’s no way to have the strap pull from the top of the winch  then you should be OK as long as you can drive the boat all the way up on the trailer or pull it all the way up to the bow roller By hand
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 06:37:22 PM by Fisherdv »

Offline AJFishin

« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2017, 07:59:07 PM »
Thanks Fisher and Tom for the heads-up.

Yeah I'll definitely unwind it and have the strap come off of the top of the roll so it goes straight across, I get what you guys are saying.
Fisherdv, after looking at it, yes I agree the roller needs to come down some and under the notch. Right now the way the boat sits is a couple inches back so the boat will need to come off and be reposition. So this weekend I'll have some adjusting to do at the ramp after fishing :smile1:

! Go Kings Go !

Online Croaker Stroker

« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2017, 09:34:51 PM »

The new post looks much stronger.  👍🏻

Offline AJFishin

« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2017, 09:24:13 AM »

The new post looks much stronger.  👍🏻

Yes it definitely looks and feels stronger and $65 wasn't a bad price.
You were right, they have good customer service.

! Go Kings Go !

Offline La-Z-Buoy

« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2018, 07:55:02 PM »
I have resurrected this thread because I came across an EZ Loader "Owner's Operation Manual" in my Arima file while going through it to weed it out. Here it is straight from the trailer manufacturer.

Richard

1991 19' Sea Ranger HT
DF 140 Suzuki, Honda 8