News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Any tips for Mexico?

Started by Crackerbox, October 24, 2017, 09:08:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crackerbox

Starting to pack for the Salt Patrol Bill fishing tournament on the Sea of Cortez.  I have never fished down there and was wondering other than sunscreen what I should pack.  I know they will have the essentials on the boat, but anything else I should bring or packing tips?

Thanks,

Joe

StreamFixer

Tipo:  Don't drink the water   :doh:

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

AJFishin

Sandals, sunglasses, a nice brim hat, and a beer koozie, then you should be fine. :biggrin:
'96 Sea Ranger 19, 2016 Mercury 115 EFI CT (115F231D) 
'96 Sea Chaser 16, 2019 Suzuki DF60AV (Sold) 
'87 Sea Chaser 17, 1987 Johnson V4 90 (Sold)
My YouTube channel: youtube.com/socalseachaser

croaker stroker

1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Kimbrey

I haven't fished Mexico but have fished the tropics in Belize & Hawaii. 
I felt it necessary or important to wear
--Long sleeved shirts and long pants. 
--Sun gloves....I think Simms makes some but maybe Columbia also. 
--Wide brimmed hat.
--Buff is probably smart but they always seem too small for my fat head.

The sun is way more direct when in the tropics regardless of temperature.

Kim
2005 Sea Legend --Sold--replaced with 26' Duckworth—Sold—replaced with 28' Farallon Walkaround

Wiley

Lots of personal protection, if ya catch my drift  :flag:
86 c Dory 22' new 90 hp etec (sold)
96 sea explorer 15'-11" new 90 etec named (wutz wuzn cuzn)
10' Don Hill Pram
Respectfully, Build, Buy, Be American
Please bring back logging, we can't afford to keep burning up our country!!!

croaker stroker

I like the Buff gloves. They do fit tight, but after wearing them a while they stretch out.

I have tried most of the other brands of glove and have settled on the Buffs. They are durable and have outlasted all of the others. They have non-slip coating on the palms that works well with the Arima stainless steel steering wheel.

My hands are seriously sun damaged from fishing and I am surviving metastatic melanoma to the lymph nodes. Wish I would have been more careful when I was younger.
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Threeweight

PM John Burleigh/Vancouver Techie.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Crackerbox

Thanks for the info guys!  It will be weird not fishing in my Grundens and long sleeved shirts to stay warm.

Joe

CanvasGuy

50+spf sunscreen applied heavy in the am should save your but from burnning,, a wide brim hat and a scarf if you forget to put sunscreen on your face. :doh: a total redress from alaska.
Gary Smart
boatless  now
http://www.smartcustomcanvas.com
"Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying." Arthur C. Clarke

First Cabin

Packing tips?  Think about how much you really need to bring and what you are going to have to bring home.  Every year I go to Mexico, I bring less and less and I still bring stuff I don't need.  What will you really need?  Flip flops, shorts and a couple shirts?  If you need to check a bag, you've got too much crap.

The real issue is coming home.  Are you packing fish home?  The airlines require that it is completely frozen so how will that be handled?  Most airlines limit a bag to 50 pounds.  Found out this year that it is more expensive to pay overweight charges(10 pounds over = $50) than it is to pay to check another 50 pound bag ($26).  Are you checking a cooler there and back?  What size?  50 pounds of fillets is not a very large cooler.  Buying boxes to bring home?  Where are you buying?  You'd better clarify how this is going to happen.

Have fun and enjoy the heat!
First:  1982 15' SeaHunter, Yamaha 70 2-stroke, Yamaha F6
Second:  1987 17' SeaRanger, Merc 90 2-stroke, Yamaha F8
Current:  2002 17' SeaChaser, Yamaha F100, Yamaha T8

Kimbrey

Oh yeah I forgot.
Goldbond......for the boys.
2005 Sea Legend --Sold--replaced with 26' Duckworth—Sold—replaced with 28' Farallon Walkaround

Fisherdv

A good back support belt for all those big marlin or tuna!  :gone_fishing:
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

Markshoreline

There's a nearby Walmart that has a great food section and everything you need because you forgot to bring it!
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Crackerbox

First Cabin,

I am bringing a 72 quart cooler with my clothes and extra bag inside.  On the way home, it will have my fish in it and the extra bag will carry my clothes.  The resort freezes the fillets for you and whatever doesn't fit I will donate to someone.  I am a light packer already, but plan on wearing the same clothes on the boat each day because I do that here already (my wife doesn't come near me after a trip to Neah).

Joe

First Cabin

Quote from: Crackerbox on October 25, 2017, 08:31:52 AM
First Cabin,

I am bringing a 72 quart cooler with my clothes and extra bag inside.  On the way home, it will have my fish in it and the extra bag will carry my clothes.  The resort freezes the fillets for you and whatever doesn't fit I will donate to someone.  I am a light packer already, but plan on wearing the same clothes on the boat each day because I do that here already (my wife doesn't come near me after a trip to Neah).

Joe

A 72 quart cooler will hold a lot more than 50 pounds.  Be prepared for overweight charges.

StreamFixer

1 Qt = 2 pints, 1 pint = 2-8 oz cups ergo 1 qt = 2 lb.  72 qts = 144 lbs.  Frozen fish runs about 80% the weight of water, figure another 20% (at most) air and dry ice space, a 72 qt cooler will run about 92# of fish plus the weight of the cooler.

As First Cabin suggests, you will have a hefty over weight charge if you fill a 72 qt cooler with frozen fish.  You might wish to consider using a 30qt cooler instead...

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

Crackerbox

Just looked it up and its $200 for luggage 70-100 pds.  Might have to bring 2 smaller coolers and have the wife check one, then we should be under 50 pds each.

Joe

First Cabin

Quote from: Crackerbox on October 25, 2017, 12:28:10 PM
Just looked it up and its $200 for luggage 70-100 pds.  Might have to bring 2 smaller coolers and have the wife check one, then we should be under 50 pds each.

Joe

I bring a soft sided cooler that I fold up and put in my carryon for the trip down and then put fish in it for the return trip.

sfever

We are flying down to Cabo airport on the 2nd around 2pm and renting a car so for a beer or 3 there is room for a couple of people. The hotel transfer price I saw looked pretty pricey so we decided to just rent a car.

First Cabin

Quote from: sfever on October 27, 2017, 01:34:51 PM
We are flying down to Cabo airport on the 2nd around 2pm and renting a car so for a beer or 3 there is room for a couple of people. The hotel transfer price I saw looked pretty pricey so we decided to just rent a car.

Have you rented a car there before.  I've heard that they advertise low prices and then when you go to pick up there are tons of fees and very expensive insurance required so it ends up being $100/day.

I'd like to rent a car there next year if it's reasonable.

sfever

First-
You are exactly right and the rate per day was something stupid like $4 but as you said the taxes and insurance added up way more. I have never rented a car out of the Cabo airport before but have many times other places in Mexico and haven't had any problems. Usually the rental people are nice and we take pics with them and the car before we leave so there is no debate about damage.

jamaica

Quote from: sfever on October 27, 2017, 11:46:32 PM
First-
You are exactly right and the rate per day was something stupid like $4 but as you said the taxes and insurance added up way more. I have never rented a car out of the Cabo airport before but have many times other places in Mexico and haven't had any problems. Usually the rental people are nice and we take pics with them and the car before we leave so there is no debate about damage.
The pics are a great idea! We usually fish out of Loreto and do really well. We try not to catch any more billfish.
1994 19' Sea Ranger 150hp Merc 2stk 9.9hp Yam