Author Topic: "Losing Foam" from Hull Drain Plug  (Read 187 times)

Offline Old No7

• Coho
  • Arima Sea Ranger 19' ~ Honda BF130 4-Stroke
  • View Gallery
"Losing Foam" from Hull Drain Plug
« on: October 23, 2017, 07:48:36 AM »
This just might be:
(a) One of those things that's not worth worrying much about; but more likely, it's probably
(b) Something to worry about but you can't do anything to stop it from happening either...

Has anybody else noticed flecks of foam coming out of their Arima when draining the bilge???

Here's an image of what I found under the hull yesterday after draining the water from the bow water (ballast) tank before closing her up for winter storage...

It's not all that much I guess, but I had seen it once before too.

I'm not noting any soft spots in the deck and the boat is usually covered when stored; but was we all know, when we do a fresh water washdown at the lake or dock, all the water goes to the bilge where there is foam installed. And my hull does have a few years on her for sure.

I'm curious what you guys all think............................

Old No7
"A bad day on an Arima, is better than a good day at work!"

Offline BurnsieBabe

Re: "Losing Foam" from Hull Drain Plug
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 08:14:15 AM »
Although I cannot see the foam particles as clearly as I would like, it does not look like the spray and pour in foam we use. Those pieces seem to resemble how Styrofoam falls apart. Our foam is closed cell and hardens to a solid with air trapped in it. It could not just break away like that.

Belinda

Online Croaker Stroker

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 10:26:54 AM »

Maybe a “stow-away” is building a home for the winter between your double hull ?  🐭
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"If a fish will, he will… if he won't, he won't… and that's about it… except… he may take this when he won't take that."

Online AJFishin

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 10:53:15 AM »
It might be time to purchase a USB Borescope.
I think it was wryguy or maybe another member that mentioned these little cams. Maybe you might be able to attach it to wire coat hanger, probe around and see where it's coming from.
1996 Arima Sea Chaser 1511
96' Yamaha 70HP - 2 stroke
Poachers = zero tolerance

! Go Kings Go !

Online Yachter Yat

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 01:40:12 PM »
   Could be ants.  If it is, the way to get rid of them is to leave some dead fish in the boat. Cover the boat with a tarp and leave it in the hot sun for a couple days.  Trust me, if it's ants, they'll come out. 

I once had an old Silverline that became infested with ants from being stored outside.  During my time of ownership, I seem to recall seeing bits of loose  foam in the floor hatch.  I always kept the boat covered with a tarp.  Anyway, long story short;  one day, after being out fishing, it got late and I was tired.  As a result, I happen to leave a dirty fish cooler in the boat.  It sat in there for a couple of days.  When I finally went to remove the tarp and clean the boat, I couldn't believe the stench.   What really blew me away was the number of ants that had crawled-out.  Most of them had gathered-up along the area of the rub rails.  Sprayed-em' good and never had another problem.   

I guess even ants have their limits.  :jester:

Yat
Dear Arima:  Stretch the Hunter platform by 5. Next, stretch the Explorer by 9 and steal 2 or 3 from the cabin.  Please hurry, I'm getting old.

16 SC/Honda 60

Online Fisherdv

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2017, 02:20:30 PM »
You may be fishing solo for a while if you do that  :jester:
2018, 16 ft Arima Sea Chaser, Honda 60HP

Online AJFishin

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 03:33:02 PM »
Also don't leave Squid sitting in your back hatch for a week during a heatwave, WHOA ! :bigshock:  :redface:
1996 Arima Sea Chaser 1511
96' Yamaha 70HP - 2 stroke
Poachers = zero tolerance

! Go Kings Go !