News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Starting In Hull Tranducer Install

Started by BruceL2_Fish, October 21, 2017, 03:58:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruceL2_Fish

Well, following HemiGTX down the in hull transducer route.   I have pulled the fuel tank on my boat and cut the access hole to install a new M265LH Chirp transducer.   It will be connected to a Raymarine CP470 CHIRP sonar processor that will connect to my Raymarine network switch. 

While I am at it I will be installing a second bilge pump.  I had picked up a Rule LoPro 950GPH low profile auto bilge pump (picture below).  England's had a sale last year so I picked it up.    I have seen some prefer the whale pumps but I will give this a try and see if it works OK.   I will add a second outlet on the port side of the boat for this pump.

I will post some pictures of the transducer install as I go, similar to what Hemi had posted.   As he said it is a tight fit for this big transducer.  I will try to capture any helpful steps or issues I come across. 
2012 Sea Ranger 19 (M. LaDeane)
Suzuki 115 Four Stroke
Honda 9.9 Kicker

GregE

Be gentle with M LaDeane

....... and doubly careful following Hemi   :bigshock:
Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak II
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

Markshoreline

After my Whale pump died, I've been using the Rule low profiles- the only way to go!  You can get powerful pumps in the 900-1000 gph rating but their low profile allows them to fit easily under the rear deck.  I used to agonize about how to fasten them to the thin bottom, but the low profiles are held in place by the bilge hose- just lay them there and they stay put!
I've also learned to leave the wires quite long so the pump can be disconnected from the hose then be lifted out of the bilge and onto the deck for servicing.
Good luck with your transducer project.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

BruceL2_Fish

Greg, I will be very careful, my wife has been keeping an eye on the project, she was not real keen on the idea of me opening up that hole in the liner.  The area I made the cut out in has plywood sandwiched in.   Once I discovered that it adds a step as I will need to seal the edges with resin mixed with glass fibers.   I am making sure to make nice radiuses on all of the corners as well to reduce any stress concentrations.   I talked to Terry (Chief of the boat) before starting the project to confirm from Arima that the liner in that area is not structural and he confirmed it is no problem.

Mark, thanks for the tips on the bilge pump install and nice to here someone has used this one before.

Bruce
Suzuki 115 Four Stroke
Honda 9.9 Kicker

BruceL2_Fish

Well, I have been out of town for work for a while in Japan.  Got back last night.  This morning got a little  more work done on the project and thought I would share some pictures off of progress. 
Suzuki 115 Four Stroke
Honda 9.9 Kicker

BruceL2_Fish

After the liner cut out was made I saw I will need to seal the edges of the cut out with fiberglass.   As you can see the liner on my 2012 hull still has plywood in it.  I want to make sure to encapsulate the wood and protect it from moisture.   One thing I did note is a path for moisture is the strap hold down bolts.   They are drilled through the liner on my boat.   I will remove all of the screws and reinstall with 5200 before reinstalling the tank.

Next is the work to get the tank cut and positioned level on the hull.   Here are some pictures of how I did that.

Suzuki 115 Four Stroke
Honda 9.9 Kicker

BruceL2_Fish

Tank takes a little tuning to get it level fore and aft as well as side to side.  the tank material is easy to work with.  I cut the tank on my band saw and then used a 4 inch grinder to bring the contour in to the lines.   One thing to note on my hull is, there is a slight difference in the hull shape in that area the tank sits on from the back to front so I had to make two templates.

Once the tank was level and nested I check fit with the transducer for clearances.   As Hemi had said, not a lot of room or options to make this transducer install.

Suzuki 115 Four Stroke
Honda 9.9 Kicker

First Cabin

Very nice job.  Thanks for sharing this! :applause:

I've been thinking of putting a thru-hull transducer in my 17' SeaChaser, but there isn't room in front of the fuel tank like you have on the 19'er so I'm contemplating how to best do it. 

Looking forward to your performance reports of the in hull.
First:  1982 15' SeaHunter, Yamaha 70 2-stroke, Yamaha F6
Second:  1987 17' SeaRanger, Merc 90 2-stroke, Yamaha F8
Current:  2002 17' SeaChaser, Yamaha F100, Yamaha T8

Yachter Yat

Did you level your boat?   When I did my in-hull transducer, I leveled the boat side-to-side with a 4 foot level and straight edge across the sponsons.   Got it dead-on by releasing the air from one of the trailer tires.  Go ahead.......you can call me crazy all the way to the asylum............I don't care.  Me and my transducer are very happy.  :biggrin:

Yat
History is not the past; it's the present, as we all carry it with us......James Baldwin    
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

First Cabin

Quote from: Yachter Yat on October 28, 2017, 02:27:34 PM
   Did you level your boat?   When I did my in-hull transducer, I leveled the boat side-to-side with a 4 foot level and straight edge across the sponsons.   Got it dead-on by releasing the air from one of the trailer tires.  Go ahead.......you can call me crazy all the way to the asylum............I don't care.  Me and my transducer are very happy.  :biggrin:

Yat

How do you keep your boat level on the water?  Must keep you busy! :biggrin:
First:  1982 15' SeaHunter, Yamaha 70 2-stroke, Yamaha F6
Second:  1987 17' SeaRanger, Merc 90 2-stroke, Yamaha F8
Current:  2002 17' SeaChaser, Yamaha F100, Yamaha T8

BruceL2_Fish

I did level the boat on the trailer as well.   I also recognize it will not be level often on the water.   But wanted it set as level as possible. 
Suzuki 115 Four Stroke
Honda 9.9 Kicker

Markshoreline

Nice job as you always do on projects!
When it gets time to do the pumps I found that cutting the rear access hole larger (perhaps a rectangular plate rather than the little 6" existing) will result in less frustration by allowing easier access.  I have just left mine open.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

BruceL2_Fish

Making slow progress.   This week all I got done on the Transducer install was the sealing of the exposed Plywood where I made the cut out, installed the fitting in the hull for the bilge pump, routed the new hose and installed the bilge pump.  Here are a couple of picture of the sealing of the plywood in the liner.   I felt it was important to protect those edge so I used West System Resin and filler to make a heavy paste that would not slump and sealed the edges. 

I will post pictures of the bilge pump install when I get out there next.

Suzuki 115 Four Stroke
Honda 9.9 Kicker

croaker stroker

Seal those edges !

Good ! I was worried about that.  :beerchug:

Those screw holes too.
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

BruceL2_Fish

Those screw holes were not sealed at the factory and I see they are a path for water intrusion. I will seal them all before completing this project.  The factory drilled them through, so moisture can get into the wood from bottom if bilge fill or just moist wet air.
Suzuki 115 Four Stroke
Honda 9.9 Kicker

FishAddict

Looks great Bruce!  Your going to love the performance of that 1k chirp transducer.
21ft Sea Ranger w/Yamaha F150

BruceL2_Fish

thought I would give an update on the in hull Transducer install.  I have finally got the wiring and plumbing for new auto bilge pump finished.  Permanently mounted the transducer tank and leak checked it.  The fuel tank is back on place and the transducer are bolted down.   As HemiGTX has pointed out and I found out as well it is a snug installation.   I am hoping to button everything up this weekend and maybe next week go out on the water to test the transducer.   I will post some screen shots of the results as I get it dialed in.   
Suzuki 115 Four Stroke
Honda 9.9 Kicker

GregE

CS,  I can't tell from the 'ducer pic just where it is - forward of the fuel tank??   :shrug9:

Looking forward to some water tests   :biggrin:
Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak II
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

BruceL2_Fish

Greg, the transducer tank sits right in front of the fuel tank in my 19"SR.   About the only place it can go in this boat.   

Bruce
Suzuki 115 Four Stroke
Honda 9.9 Kicker

Marine40

Bruce, that looks like a very nice install. When you sealed the yellow housing down to the boat, did you put any kind of liquid in the housing before you added the ducer?  I have the same setup as you so I am taking notes. My memory is sketchy on the idea of having to have some kind of liquid between the ducer and the boat. I hope this make sense. 

Thank you for leading in this install.

Darren
Have -15' Hunter, Had - 2 each 17' Rangers, Had - 1 each 17 Skip Chaser, Had - 1 each 19' Skip Chaser, Have - 21' Skip Ranger.

BruceL2_Fish

The tank is filled with propylene glycol, per the directions that come with the transducer.  It has to have the liquid to transmit the sound waves through.
Suzuki 115 Four Stroke
Honda 9.9 Kicker