News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Flooded Cars

Started by croaker stroker, October 18, 2017, 06:47:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

croaker stroker

I just saw this on the news. Hurricane flooded cars 635,000 of them. This only checks the insured ones.

I imagine there will be a lot of boats too.

https://www.nicb.org
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Markshoreline

2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Yachter Yat

A word of advice:  Avoid any vehicle that has been immersed in saltwater.  I used to get a good laugh at seeing commercials showing cars running through the shallow surf.   :hoboy:

Yat
History is not the past; it's the present, as we all carry it with us......James Baldwin    
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

StreamFixer

You can bet a lot of those cars will be showing up as 'great deals' in the northern states, much like what occurred after Katrina...

Many will be brand new off the lot, never licensed....  Caveat Emptor if you are in the market...

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

Markshoreline

Yes, a redo of the car deals that were available after Katrina... but how would you know?  Probably not reported to Carfax.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

StreamFixer

First question out of my mouth would be:  Where is this car from?  Then:  has it been flooded...  Get that in writing so you can claim misrepresentation or fraud if you later find it has been flooded...  State attorney general will be very helpful if you run into that sort of issue.

First place I would check is under floor mats and carpets...  Mold, mud, musty small, stains in the underlayment...   Then back seat (usually easy to lift, under trunk mat, in nooks and crannies every where.  Running a finger behind exposed metal looking for dust or mud.  Use you nose if you can.  Really hard to hide moldy smell..  If car has 'heavy' new car smell, probably from a can and hiding something...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimgorzelany/2017/08/30/how-to-avoid-getting-stuck-with-a-flood-damaged-used-car/#71c7f1386b89

If a deal is too good to be true, it usually is..  As I said, buyer beware...  Purchasing "as is" moves a lot of responsibility onto the buyer...  Get all your questions answered in writing as that generally supersedes the 'as is' nonsense...  If the seller will not give you that,  walk away, you will be money ahead if you do.

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade

Diablo

If a claim was filed for insurance the vin will indicate flood damage. The vin should also tell ownership registration location trail.
I think there could still be some deals out of over 650,000 cars on classic or exotics if you had the skills to completely rebuild one. I don't
'98 19SR  '15 E Tec 115, '10 Honda 8
'67. 23 Tollycraft, 283 Chevy
'04  14' Western, '15 Tohatsu 10
'87  37 Roughwater two 8.2 Detroit diesels SOLD
'88 17SR  '90 Johnson 90, Honda 8, SOLD

croaker stroker

A lot of "good deals" will be coming up for boats too....newer outboards sunk and reconditioned.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

StreamFixer

Skills?  More or less..  I restored a shot '58 GMC to pretty decent condition

Time and desire --- Not so much.  Rather be fishing   :jester:

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade

Yachter Yat

Okay..........from my way of thinking it's a question of simplicity vs. complexity.     See......it's like this:   You can rebuild a 1934 Ford that's been flooded with saltwater.  Your just not going to even "think" about rebuilding a 2017 Mercedes that's been flooded with saltwater.   You understand......right? 

Yat
History is not the past; it's the present, as we all carry it with us......James Baldwin    
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

croaker stroker

Recently serviced outboards...anyone?...anyone?...

Buyer beware.   :doh:

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

HemiGTX

Flood cars are packed with silt in areas you can't get in, like frame rails and pinch welds.  Which results in unholy, unstoppable rust.  There is no difference between a 1934 Ford, a 1970 Hemicuda, or a 2017 Mercedes.  Once a car is flooded, that's all she wrote.
AKA: "The guy who fishes with Nicole"

Yachter Yat

Hemi........WHAT?   There's no difference between a 34 Ford, 70 Cuda and a new Mercedes?  You mean I spent all that money on the Mercedes for nothing?    NOW you tell me.  :doh:

:jester:  Yat
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Diablo

There are plenty to choose from.

'98 19SR  '15 E Tec 115, '10 Honda 8
'67. 23 Tollycraft, 283 Chevy
'04  14' Western, '15 Tohatsu 10
'87  37 Roughwater two 8.2 Detroit diesels SOLD
'88 17SR  '90 Johnson 90, Honda 8, SOLD

BestBoats

Was looking at a Defiance Admiral 250ex on Craigslist. Guy just repowered it with Twin Yamaha's from Florida with 1,100....had them shipped up. First thing I thought was cleaned up hurricane motors....no thanks.
2007 21' Sea Ranger Hardtop "THE A-TEAM"
150 Evinrude Etec
9.9 Susuki EFI

croaker stroker

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸