Author Topic: Stereo/Speakers  (Read 540 times)

Offline PugetScott

Stereo/Speakers
« on: October 18, 2017, 08:09:19 AM »
Another thing on my list...  Tunes!   

I have noticed a number of hard tops with speakers in the inside corners.  Is this a factory option or are people cutting into the interior of the hardtop to mount speakers?

To anyone that may have cut into the hardtop - any concerns or gotchas I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance, y'all!   :bowdown: :beerchug:
1990 Sea Ranger 19 Hardtop
1995 Yamaha 115 two stroke
2001 Yamaha 9.9 four stroke

Offline Dhil12

Re: Stereo/Speakers
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 10:25:42 AM »
Puget scott. I have a set of speakers exactly where you are saying. The hardtops come with covers in the holes in these spots and also 2 up front. They are access ports for running wiring, but with the cover removed, makes a great place for mounting speakers in the holes.

Darrell
Darrell
2018 Sea Legend ht with bulkhead
2018 Yamaha 200
9.9 yamaha kicker

Offline Threeweight

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 10:32:28 AM »
IMO, these days "marine" stereos are a waste of money.  Even the best ones just don't hold up in a saltwater environment, with the constant pounding and abuse of a boat.  Invest in a good quality Bluetooth speaker, and use it to stream tunes from your phone.  Sound won't be as great as nice "marine" car stereo speakers (usually just a coat of white paint), but then again you probably won't be able to hear the difference in a boat that is cruising. 

I have a cheap Cambridge Soundworks speaker I used all year that still sounds great.  I crank up the music on long Tuna! runs with it, and use it to listen to audiobooks when I'm tinkering on projects.  I think I paid all of $30 for it.  Batteries hold a charge for about 8 hours, and it can play while plugged in and charging.  Uses a standard USB cord.

Higher end models have better sound quality and more power (mine is plenty loud for music to be enjoyed over the noise of my Honda 225 at cruising speeds).  Some are even water proof.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Wild Card, Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220, Honda 225 and 9.9

“Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed.”
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Offline J Chaser

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 10:49:25 AM »
I'm not sure if they still sell it, but I have the Lowrance SonicHub that runs through my HDS sounder.

Works really well actually.

John
Sea Chaser 1511, Yamaha F70, Yamaha F6 kicker

Offline Kimbrey

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 11:03:11 AM »
I have the Fusion brand of stuff on my Duck which has worked well for the past 3 or 4 years (I forget how long I've had the boat).  The speakers are mounted outside the house under the overhang so basically somewhat in the weather.   To tell you the truth I just don't use it that often as I find it distracting and or irritating trying to listen to the vhf and carry on conversations with the engine running.  Maybe my age is popping through regarding always wanting music blaring.

Regarding bluetooth speakers.  Fugoo makes a good/great speaker that sounds great and is waterproof.  They also have a long battery life of well over a day.  You could just velcro it down.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 04:25:16 PM by Kimbrey »
2005 Sea Legend --Sold--replaced with 26' Duckworth

Offline BruceL2_Fish

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2017, 11:08:03 AM »
I also have the Fusion brand in my boat. The speakers have been good for 5 years.  I mostly feed music through an iPod touch or iPhone.  My speakers are mounted in bulkhead. 
2012 Sea Ranger 19 (M. LaDeane)
Suzuki 115 Four Stroke
Honda 9.9 Kicker

Offline Fisherdv

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2017, 11:45:16 AM »
As 3wt, i also just use a Bluetooth speaker. Sounds really good, I only use it rarely because I think I’m going to scare the fish away or the fish may not like my music  :rimshot:
2018, Sea Chaser 16, Honda 60HP

Offline Rokefin

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2017, 12:21:23 PM »
I have a Bluetooth speaker but rarely use it, I'm with Kimbrey, I find that I just don't need the music out there while fishing. I enjoy the sound of wind, motor, and downrigger cables singing to me.  If I did a lot of cruising or long runs I would use it more but 90% of the time I leave the speaker at home.
1989 17ft Arima Sea Chaser 2010 115 Yamaha 1995 9.9 Yamaha kicker - Bodega mostly

Offline Yachter Yat

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2017, 12:57:01 PM »
    Music on the water?  I don't think so.  I would never want to interfere with the sound of Mother Nature's own melody.  But.........to each his own, I guess.

Yat
Dear Arima:  Please "square-off" the Hunter transom.  Make it like my old 77 Silverline.  Thank you.  Oh yeah...please hurry; I'm getting old.

16 SC/Honda 60

Offline Fisherdv

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2017, 01:01:24 PM »
If I get really bored I might listen softly, but I like the silence of being out there away from all the people, noise, and traffic of the city

Offline PugetScott

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2017, 11:33:54 AM »
Puget scott. I have a set of speakers exactly where you are saying. The hardtops come with covers in the holes in these spots and also 2 up front. They are access ports for running wiring, but with the cover removed, makes a great place for mounting speakers in the holes.

Darrell

I'm starting to wonder if this is only in the newer models; perhaps even only the Sea Legends?  My hardtop Sea Ranger, a 1990, does not have these openings by default.
1990 Sea Ranger 19 Hardtop
1995 Yamaha 115 two stroke
2001 Yamaha 9.9 four stroke

Offline Fisherdv

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2017, 11:57:30 AM »
If you want a fixed stereo you may have to get creative and find a good spot to mount speakers. You could fabricate your own little speaker boxes, by ones premade, or find a wood or starboard panel and cut holes to mount speakers. Just plan out where you would run all the wiring and try to minimize locations that will see a lot of water be it rain, wave splash or wash down

Offline Threeweight

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2017, 12:00:21 PM »
On a 60 mile/2.5 hour long run to and from the fishing spot, with the only noise being the drone of the engine, the smack of waves, and the snoring of your crew, having some tunes to listen to can be quite a relief  :doh:
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Wild Card, Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220, Honda 225 and 9.9

“Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed.”
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Yachter Yat

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2017, 12:36:02 PM »
   On a run that far, I might even want a television.   :jester:

Yat
Dear Arima:  Please "square-off" the Hunter transom.  Make it like my old 77 Silverline.  Thank you.  Oh yeah...please hurry; I'm getting old.

16 SC/Honda 60

Offline Dhil12

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2017, 12:49:13 PM »
I dont know. They were a perfect spot to mount speaker for us. If you dont have them, I would look at enclosed speakers and mount them, or go bluetooth like other mentioned. I have a small Bose that I use on the patio and in my shop that sounds great.Only problem is battery life, unless you can plug it in on the boat to run/ recharge.
Darrell
2018 Yamaha 200
9.9 yamaha kicker

Offline Markshoreline

Stereo/Speakers
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2017, 03:48:58 PM »
I installed a dashmount JBL marine Bluetooth/radio that will also accept cable input, but I only listen through Bluetooth.  I cut into the starboard where a previous owner had left a hole.  I figure if the unit is done for I can replace the starboard easily enough.  Also mounted a pair of Bose marine speakers and like the way they sound.  It’s nice not to have something else on the dash.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 09:15:07 AM by Markshoreline »
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Offline BestBoats

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2017, 08:30:03 AM »
I went a little different rout. Search Bluetooth Amplifier Install for my old post.
2007 21' Sea Ranger Hardtop "THE A-TEAM"
150 Evinrude Etec
9.9 Susuki EFI

Offline Markshoreline

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2017, 09:16:35 AM »
BB that search just takes us back to your post above, but searching for bluetooth amplifier works.  Unfortunately your pics have gone away but it must be an awesome system.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Offline BruceL2_Fish

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2017, 03:44:35 PM »
Don't listen a lot when fishing but every once in a while you get a moment when tunes just add to the day.   We also use the stereo when we are just cruising.
2012 Sea Ranger 19 (M. LaDeane)
Suzuki 115 Four Stroke
Honda 9.9 Kicker

Offline Wiley

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2017, 07:04:17 PM »
Simple,simple here.. ryobi cordless tool kit with am,fm,and Bluetooth that I’ve never used. Sometimes while drowning bait for sturgeon,striper,halibut in the bay and delta I like to listen to nascar,or baseball,football, or even some good ol country. Oh yea it’s portable and recharchable.
86 c Dory 22’ new 90 hp etec
96 sea explorer 15'-11" new 90 etec named (wutz wuzn cuzn)
10' Don Hill Pram
 Respectfully, Build, Buy, Be American

Offline AJFishin

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2017, 10:32:54 PM »
I have a decent Bluetooth speaker, plays loud enough for me when cruising and sits nicely on my helm dash or wherever I want it to be, but I rarely use it. It pretty much sits in the cabin with a dead battery :jester:
Like a few other's, I enjoy not hearing anything else besides mother nature. Cruising in my boat on the ocean reminds me of riding my motorcycle with only the sound of the motor and wind...relaxing. :biggrin:
But in my truck that's whole nother story with my system in there, it's set up to block out the stress. :bigshock:
'96 Sea Chaser 16 - Yamaha 70HP - 2 smoke

! Go Kings Go !

Offline Dhil12

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2017, 10:59:40 PM »
I have a nice sounding fusion stereo, but use it mainly when in moorage cleaning/ working on the boat, not too much when out because we re always talking and want to hear the conversation /vhf and the surroundings. when out only use it on  cruise, but low volume, still want to hear the motor,vhf and other things. Kind of like drinking, I drink and listen to music at home. Not on the boat.
Darrell
2018 Yamaha 200
9.9 yamaha kicker

Offline wedocq

« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2017, 06:50:38 AM »
IMO, these days "marine" stereos are a waste of money.  Even the best ones just don't hold up in a saltwater environment, with the constant pounding and abuse of a boat.  Invest in a good quality Bluetooth speaker, and use it to stream tunes from your phone.  Sound won't be as great as nice "marine" car stereo speakers (usually just a coat of white paint), but then again you probably won't be able to hear the difference in a boat that is cruising. 

Umm, ya. :yeahthat: I think I spend about as much time maintaining my stupid stereo and speakers as I do the rest of the boat. But, tunes are a must have on that 2 hour run to the tuna grounds. (3 hours this year :doh:)
-Shawn
2002 21' Arima Sea Ranger HT  Suzuki DF175 4-stroke.
WEDOCQ= WE DO SEKIU! It pays homage to my Uncle Jay who died of cancer.

Offline SeaPacer

« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2017, 06:56:53 PM »
I made speaker boxes for 6.5” speakers that mount under my hardtop, using 6” pvc pipe and 2 caps. Everybody thinks their factory but they cost $20 dollars to make. I like my tunes… I have six speakers and a sub on my fishing boat. But I have a knob that lets me turn off the sub when I’m fishing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tiderunner 18 - sold | Sea Pacer 17 - sold | Pro-Line 20' Walk - Yamaha F150