Author Topic: Advice needed for third seat removal.  (Read 361 times)

Offline Arimaway

Advice needed for third seat removal.
« on: October 17, 2017, 06:17:26 AM »
Old picture, but here is what I want to do.

I would like to remove the third seat to open up the deck space.  What should I expect to see when I undo the screws and pull the seat up and does someone make / sell some sort of blank that can be screwed down in its place with holes that line up.
Thanks
1987 Sea Ranger 17.
2016 Mercury 90 Command Thrust 4-STROKE

Offline Rokefin

Re: Advice needed for third seat removal.
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 08:17:33 AM »
There will be a hole in the middle with the screw holes surrounding it. That seat removal was the very first thing I did to the boat. I made a round aluminum plate with the same bolt pattern, removed the seat and threw it as far as I could, mounted the new plate in it's place. I rounded the outer edge of the plate to prevent tripping as this was a concern but it is like the plate isn't even there, tripping is not an issue.
Can't recall plate thickness, it may have been .250. I would like a seat right behind the drivers seat but that mounted seat your speaking of is in the way of most activities on the boat.

The seat I removed was not in the best shape so it went in the garbage....
1989 17ft Arima Sea Chaser 2010 115 Yamaha 1995 9.9 Yamaha kicker - Bodega mostly

Offline Arimaway

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 08:38:32 AM »
Interesting, I didn't give making a plate a though.  Will definitely look into making one.  Did you make a round plate or just a square?
1987 Sea Ranger 17.

Online Croaker Stroker

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 09:27:47 AM »

Be sure and treat the wood surrounding the hole with penetrating resin.
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"If a fish will, he will… if he won't, he won't… and that's about it… except… he may take this when he won't take that."

Offline Rokefin

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 09:47:09 AM »
Interesting, I didn't give making a plate a though.  Will definitely look into making one.  Did you make a round plate or just a square?

I made it round at the same diameter and bolt pattern as the seat base, beveled the holes and used the same mounting screws. I sealed the bottom of the plate and screw holes with 3M 5200.
1989 17ft Arima Sea Chaser 2010 115 Yamaha 1995 9.9 Yamaha kicker - Bodega mostly

Offline Arimaway

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2017, 01:07:00 PM »

While I was researching to see if there was some kind of Blank made to replace the seat stand. I discovered that many stands are actually two piece.  The base and the post.
I didn't realize the post can be pulled out and a plug for the post hole can be purchased.  That is I am assuming it is two pieces.  I quickly looked last night at the stand and base (it was dark), but they are so oxidized I couldn't tell if it is one piece or two. This weekend I'll try to see if I can pull the post out of the stand.  It probably has been in there since day one.  I'm guessing if it is two pieces it's going to be a real bear to pull the post out.
1987 Sea Ranger 17.

Offline Rokefin

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2017, 01:49:10 PM »
Mine was 2 piece but the post was stuck solid into the base (also severely oxidized), had to destroy the post to get it out of the base. The base sticks up too high if I remember right.....the flat plate is much lower to where you don't even notice it.

Offline Rokefin

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2017, 09:23:16 AM »
Here is a photo. The idea of having the seat removable was good thinking, but my post froze to the base. I found that for my uses the seat just took up too much room so I used the permanent cover.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 09:43:53 AM by Rokefin »

Offline Yachter Yat

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2017, 12:41:23 PM »
   Rokefin;  Great solution.  Nice job...........looks neat. 

Yat
Dear Arima:  Stretch the Hunter platform by 5. Next, stretch the Explorer by 9 and steal 2 or 3 from the cabin.  Please hurry, I'm getting old.

16 SC/Honda 60

Offline beancounter

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2017, 01:09:09 PM »
I would trip on that plate and bust my butt or fall overboard. Another thought is fill the holes in with thickened epoxy and paint or gelcoat it so it is flush.

Online Croaker Stroker

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2017, 01:25:22 PM »
My boat came with deck plates where pedestals used to be. When I re-gel coated the deck with sanded gelcoat, I painted over the old PVC Plates and thought I could just replace them after the gel coat job was finished. To my surprise, the sanded gel coat stuck to the PVC really well. I am still using the same deck plates and the gel coat is only showing normal wear. The deck plates were slippery before the gelcoat job. Now, they have really good traction with the sanded finish. They are not a trip hazard. You hardly notice them.

3M makes non-skid marine tape that comes in a couple of colors including clear that might work on those aluminum plates. You might even be able to paint the aluminum to match the deck before applying the clear non-skid..? :shrug9:

(The green tint is mold release)

« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 01:30:25 PM by Croaker Stroker »
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"If a fish will, he will… if he won't, he won't… and that's about it… except… he may take this when he won't take that."

Offline Arimaway

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2017, 12:35:17 PM »
All great solutions above, but I think I found what I am looking for.  An inexpensive and easy solution.

When I get home I'll measure the diameter, but I think this is it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TH-MARINE-10-SCREW-DOWN-DECK-PLATE-p-SDP-3T-/232408803934?hash=item361ca4ea5e:g:rVEAAOSw~oFXGQVV&vxp=mtr

Probably the same plate on Croaker's boat.  Except This one has eight screw holes like my seat stand plate.

Here is the link to the original supplier.

http://thmarine.com/screw-down-deck-plates#!prettyPhoto

« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 12:47:57 PM by Arimaway »
1987 Sea Ranger 17.

Offline Arimaway

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2017, 05:44:11 AM »
Too busy painting the garage and moving stuff around this past weekend to try to take out the seat post.  I did however get around to measuring the diameter of the base, only 8".  Darn, the one I found in my previous is too large.   I have a feeling an 8" - 8 hole deck plate is going to be hard to find.
1987 Sea Ranger 17.

Offline Rokefin

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2017, 07:47:33 AM »
I would trip on that plate and bust my butt or fall overboard. Another thought is fill the holes in with thickened epoxy and paint or gelcoat it so it is flush.

Tripping on the plate was a concern to me when I installed the plate but it has been 4 years and don't recall ever tripping on it, tripping is not an issue.  I would have filled just screw holes but I was surprised that there was a big hole in the floor in the middle of the plate to allow the base and post to go below the deck surface - a pretty big hole.

Offline birdman

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2017, 08:15:54 PM »
1/4" thick piece of starboard screwed down with caulk.  I've had this on my boat for 5 years and haven't tripped on it once. Only problem is I used black starboard cuz it was the only color in the scrap bin.  In hindsight I shoulda sported the extra $0.38 for the right color. Looks bad but works fine and looks better than a hole in the floor.
Terry; 17' Sea Ranger (1985); 90 HP Yamaha (2012)