News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Larger Gas Tank Options for 17' SC

Started by Arimadrifter, October 14, 2017, 08:00:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holoholo808

Quote from: Fishin Machine on October 20, 2017, 06:09:14 AM
Holo, I'm not trying to steal someone's thread., buuut I would like to add a different pump and hose to my fresh water tank. I am not sure how to drill a new hole in the plastic tank and add a threaded connection. Is there a kit?  :shrug9:

Sent you a PM so we don't derail this thread. Maybe start a separate thread if you want to hear from others who have more experience than me?
For easier searching go to Google and type "site:www.arimaowners.com (search term)"

croaker stroker

1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Rokefin

Sorry for the late photo but here is the cuddy fuel tank   

Holoholo808

Since a couple people have asked...

Here's what I did. Mardog was the first to do this that I'm aware of and I think he did a better job than me.

Adding the fuel tank is a worthwhile investment. In order to do so you will need to cut out the bottom of the fish box and the storage well in front of it.

I used a oscillating tool as it minimizes dust. I also made a jig and marked a line with a sharpie about 5-1/2" down from the deck to keep the cut edge straight.

I also cut out the front of the small storage hatch to run a vent line up to the cuddy and out the side.

The most time consuming part is making the plate that takes the place of the filler. I made mine with HDPE and tee nuts/cork gaskets but if I had to do it again I'd go with metal and liquid gasket.

In practice I get about 30-33 gallons in the tank before it's overfilled/bulging (XLPE tanks will swell about 3% anyway) so I added a 3 way valve and keep a small (12 gallon) tank in the original location as my 1/3 emergency reserve. I'll run this occasionally to cycle through and keep the fuel fresh. I added an 8" clear deck plate to the center trim panel so I can see what tank is in service and switch without taking the whole panel off (there's a usually an on-deck) fishbox in the way.

Hope this helps. Be prepared to make a lot of fiberglass dust [emoji12]
For easier searching go to Google and type "site:www.arimaowners.com (search term)"

Humboldtfisher

For offshore tuna trips in my Sea Chaser 17, I have a 12-gallon deck tank and use that fuel on the run out - then stow the empty tank in the cuddy cabin when it's empty.
2000 SC17 with 2018 Yamaha 90 hp.
Home port = Trinidad, CA.

Yachter Yat

Sorry guys, but I think Humboldt and Rokefin might have the right idea with respect to carrying auxiliary fuel.  I'd be very reluctant to cut-out all that glass from the floor of my Arima.  I'd be afraid of the potential loss of structural rigidity; to the extent that (in time) it could lead to some major stress cracking.  I'd be particularly concerned about those cracks beginning at the corners of the hatches.......the obvious weak points.  My 2.

Yat

P.S.  Just reading back on this thread, I see Threeweight was using an above-deck auxiliary tank as well.  A better idea than cutting all that glass, I think. 
History is not the past; it's the present, as we all carry it with us......James Baldwin    
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Ssericz

I did a 27 gallon belly tank without any real removal or difficult work

Yachter Yat

Ssericz:

If I'm not mistaken, (looking at your picture) it appears there are stress cracks at the corners of those hatches.  As I suggested in my previous post, the downside of this alteration could be to compromise the rigidity of this hull.  At least that's what it looks like to me.  Now, maybe those cracks are just cosmetic, but who knows where it goes in time.  Since this is a modification that a number of our members have seemingly contemplated in the past, it would be interesting to hear what Donny Gross has to offer about this.  Perhaps we could get Belinda to report back from him??

Yat
History is not the past; it's the present, as we all carry it with us......James Baldwin    
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

croaker stroker

Quote from: Rokefin on October 15, 2017, 10:25:38 AM
I really like the idea of a belly tank, and would look into this if I did not already have a 20 gallon custom aluminum tank in the cuddy. I rarely use the cuddy tank though, I keep roughly 8 gallons in there for weight distribution and for emergency but never have used it. Most my trips are day trips and the most fuel I use is maybe 10 to 12 gallons. I refresh the fuel every year.

I removed my 30 gallon factory aluminum bow tank and stored it in my garage attic because I knew I would never need more than the stock 23 gallon tank.  My body can't take a 100 mile ride anymore.   :hoboy:

If I do, I'll carry jerry jugs.   :shrug9:

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Yachter Yat

I've got several of those "no spill" plastic gas jugs.  I never need or carry extra fuel on my boat, but it seems like those would serve quite well for the job. 

Yat
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

croaker stroker

Quote from: Yachter Yat on December 24, 2017, 10:16:18 AM
   I've got several of those "no spill" plastic gas jugs.  I never need or carry extra fuel on my boat, but it seems like those would serve quite well for the job. 

Yat

They have already outlawed the ones I have.  :shrug9:

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

jamaica

Any gas cans that work well are illegal in California, they don't allow vents. I know people who have bought their tanks in Nevada.
1994 19' Sea Ranger 150hp Merc 2stk 9.9hp Yam

Fisherdv

Quote from: jamaica on December 24, 2017, 11:21:53 AM
Any gas cans that work well are illegal in California, they don't allow vents. I know people who have bought their tanks in Nevada.
Just put a vented cap on. That's what I had to do with my EPA portable tanks I had. Might not be legal, but a lot better than a tank that swells like a ballon  :hoboy:
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

Ssericz

Quote from: Yachter Yat on December 24, 2017, 05:39:10 AM
   Ssericz:

If I'm not mistaken, (looking at your picture) it appears there are stress cracks at the corners of those hatches.  As I suggested in my previous post, the downside of this alteration could be to compromise the rigidity of this hull.  At least that's what it looks like to me.  Now, maybe those cracks are just cosmetic, but who knows where it goes in time.  Since this is a modification that a number of our members have seemingly contemplated in the past, it would be interesting to hear what Donny Gross has to offer about this.  Perhaps we could get Belinda to report back from him??

Yat

Funny thing is those spider cracks were there prior to fuel tank and the never expanded or anything after the install... even after 700hours of abuse so I don't think it's too big of a worry