News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Larger Gas Tank Options for 17' SC

Started by Arimadrifter, October 14, 2017, 08:00:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arimadrifter

I'm curious what others have done to increase the range on 17' Sea Chasers. I have the 23 gal option and don't have the space to upgrade to the larger tank. I have a 90 Yamaha 4 Stroke and would like to carry additional fuel to extend the range and would rather not carry extra fuel in portable 5 gallon tanks.
All ideas and pictures are welcome!

Thank you.
17' Arima SC with 2017 90hp Yamaha

Markshoreline

A couple of guys have cut out the bottom of the fish box and inserted a long, low tank and screwed the box cover back in place.  Those hold 27 gallons.
Another idea is to find some narrow tanks called saddle tanks that will fit on each side along the shelf to the captain's right and passenger's left.  The existing starboard would have to be removed and new cabinetry installed.  These tanks hold 10 gallons each, but Arima doesn't sell them anymore due to epa issues.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Arimadrifter

Thanks Mark. So do they have to be custome made or does someone else already make them for Arimas?

Yachter Yat

Drifter;  Maybe check with Chief of the Boat.  Or perhaps call Arima directly.

Yat
Being married, is when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

blindmonkey

If you are interested in a belly tank perhaps contact Mardog for information. http://www.arimaowners.com/index.php?topic=10279.0

Lorne
2013 17' Sea Chaser, Honda 90, Yamaha F8 SOLD
1994 Sea Explorer, Mercury 60, SOLD

Arimadrifter

Rokefin

I really like the idea of a belly tank, and would look into this if I did not already have a 20 gallon custom aluminum tank in the cuddy. I rarely use the cuddy tank though, I keep roughly 8 gallons in there for weight distribution and for emergency but never have used it. Most my trips are day trips and the most fuel I use is maybe 10 to 12 gallons. I refresh the fuel every year.

gar143

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.
19SC 2000 - 2015 115 Suz & 9.9 Suz 4 strokes
17SC 1988 - Sold

Markshoreline

The saddles were made by someone else for Arima.  I've never been able to find them aftermarket.  I was fortunate to buy a pair that were new old stock that had originally come from Arima.

Arimadrifter

Rokefin,
I was considering doing the same thing with a second tank in the cabin. Is your tank custom or standard? Any pics?
Thanks to all for the ideas!

corky12

Quote from: gar143 on October 15, 2017, 10:35:19 AM
http://moellermarine.com/moeller-marine/fuel-containment/19-gallon-permanent-below-deck-boat-fuel-tank-032819/
.  I think the company was Inca moulding/plastcs.    I actually called them up and bought one of the saddle tanks.  This was about 20 years ago. Not sure if they would have any more or not but they are online.

Arimadrifter

Gar,
That Moeller tank looks perfect. Obviously, it wouldn't be a great idea to have the batteries in the same enclosed area (i.e. Sparks). Are there any other potential issues with putting a tank like this in the cabin?

Rokefin

Quote from: Arimadrifter on October 15, 2017, 01:25:37 PM
Rokefin,
I was considering doing the same thing with a second tank in the cabin. Is your tank custom or standard? Any pics?
Thanks to all for the ideas!

It was a custom made tank that was formed to fit at the very front of the cuddy so I still have plenty of storage room. I'll try to get by and get a pic of it tomorrow evening.

Threeweight

I just used a Moeller 12 gallon above deck tank, with an added valve + hoses to make it easy to swap back and forth between it and the main tank.  With the Suzi on my old boat, even with a worst-case 3.5 mpg that was another 40+ miles of range
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Holoholo808

The tank Mardog installed is a Moeller model 32535 - 35 gallon below deck (this pic is of his install)

You'll need to cut off the factory fill and replace with a plate and flush fill/vent. He used steel, I used HDPE.

You'll also have to grind out some material from the bottom of the covers for clearance for your vent and pickup lines.

In practice I'm able to get around 32 gallons filled in the tank with the boat on a trailer with the trailer jack near max height.

Running the vent line takes a little effort but overall it's a worthwhile modification.

As a plus side you'll also have direct access to the bilge when you cut the bottom of the fishbox out; it makes working on bilge pumps and cleaning a lot easier.

For easier searching go to Google and type "site:www.arimaowners.com (search term)"

BurnsieBabe

The reason we stopped doing the saddle tanks is that Inca destroyed molds after we did not buy them for a few years (had stock and then boat business took a nosedive) so they thought they were obsolete. We cannot get them reasonably now as new molds would have to be made. Also, on a side note,Inca has sold the fuel tank business to Moeller now.

Belinda
Belinda Burns
Arima Marine International Inc from 1997
Defiance Marine LLC from 2013 (since Arima purchase)

Fisherdv

Quote from: BurnsieBabe on October 16, 2017, 01:57:02 PM
The reason we stopped doing the saddle tanks is that Inca destroyed molds after we did not buy them for a few years (had stock and then boat business took a nosedive) so they thought they were obsolete. We cannot get them reasonably now as new molds would have to be made. Also, on a side note,Inca has sold the fuel tank business to Moeller now.

Belinda
Not to get off the original topic but do you know if the 27 gallon tanks are still available for a new 16 SC?
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

J Chaser

It was mentioned in an earlier thread that the 27 gallon tank is still available.

I put one in my SC1511 in 2013.

J.
Sea Chaser 1511, Yamaha F70, Yamaha F6 kicker

Fisherdv

J, I do remember that being mentioned. I'm wondering if they have them available to sell on its own or if they only have stock for what their using for the 17 SC they build.
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

PugetScott

Quote from: Holoholo808 on October 16, 2017, 11:14:12 AM

You'll need to cut off the factory fill and replace with a plate and flush fill/vent. He used steel, I used HDPE.

You'll also have to grind out some material from the bottom of the covers for clearance for your vent and pickup lines.

Sir - thank you for this info.  I'm curious if the flush fill setup was something you bought or something you made.  I understand why it is needed; I'm just trying to understand how you went about getting it that way.
1990 Sea Ranger 19 Hardtop
1995 Yamaha 115 two stroke
2001 Yamaha 9.9 four stroke

Markshoreline

Belinda- Thank you for solving the saddle tank mystery! 

Holoholo808

Quote from: PugetScott on October 17, 2017, 10:34:44 AM
Sir - thank you for this info.  I'm curious if the flush fill setup was something you bought or something you made.  I understand why it is needed; I'm just trying to understand how you went about getting it that way.

Any modification to the tank will void the warranty so you'll need to fabricate the plate yourself. I'd suggest metal as the polyethylene was easy to work with but harder to seal around the vent tap (nothing really sticks to PE). I had to make my own gaskets using fuel-resistant material (available from an auto parts store). Secure the plate using tee nuts or by having nuts tacked/welded to the plate (metal).

Let me know if you have more questions.
For easier searching go to Google and type "site:www.arimaowners.com (search term)"

troll4fish

I wanted the same thing you are looking for, more range and backup fuel quantity so I looked around and found an 11-1/2 gallon Moeller tank on craigslist here in the Denver area that was out of a salvage boat that had fallen off the trailer on the highway and only paid $30 for it which included a 18' new fuel line so I cleaned it thoroughly and mounted it in the cuddy. Now with 34 gallons I feel better going on longer trips.
92 Sea Chaser 17
2004 (2015 total rebuild) Mercury 90 EFI 4 stroke
2014 Honda 8hp full remote power tilt!

Arimadrifter

Thanks Troll,
Do you happen to have a pic of the install?

Fishin Machine

Holo, I'm not trying to steal someone's thread., buuut I would like to add a different pump and hose to my fresh water tank. I am not sure how to drill a new hole in the plastic tank and add a threaded connection. Is there a kit?  :shrug9:
DDT
2003 19' Sea Ranger