Author Topic: Larger Gas Tank Options for 17' SC  (Read 1238 times)

Offline Arimadrifter

Larger Gas Tank Options for 17' SC
« on: October 14, 2017, 08:00:24 AM »
I'm curious what others have done to increase the range on 17' Sea Chasers. I have the 23 gal option and don't have the space to upgrade to the larger tank. I have a 90 Yamaha 4 Stroke and would like to carry additional fuel to extend the range and would rather not carry extra fuel in portable 5 gallon tanks.
All ideas and pictures are welcome!

Thank you.
17' Arima SC with 2017 90hp Yamaha
21' Kiwanda Klipper Dory with 90 HP Honda
18' Hewescraft Sportsman -Sold, 22' Bayrunner Cuddy - Sold
17' North River Revenge - Sold, 17' Whaler Montauk - Sold
24' Skipjack FB - Sold,  18' Seacraft CC - Sold

Offline Markshoreline

Re: Larger Gas Tank Options for 17' SC
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2017, 08:21:23 AM »
A couple of guys have cut out the bottom of the fish box and inserted a long, low tank and screwed the box cover back in place.  Those hold 27 gallons.
Another idea is to find some narrow tanks called saddle tanks that will fit on each side along the shelf to the captain’s right and passenger’s left.  The existing starboard would have to be removed and new cabinetry installed.  These tanks hold 10 gallons each, but Arima doesn’t sell them anymore due to epa issues.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 12:18:31 PM by Markshoreline »
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Offline Arimadrifter

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2017, 09:18:53 PM »
Thanks Mark. So do they have to be custome made or does someone else already make them for Arimas?

Offline Yachter Yat

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2017, 06:11:30 AM »
   Drifter;  Maybe check with Chief of the Boat.  Or perhaps call Arima directly.

Yat
Dear Arima:  Please "square-off" the Hunter transom.  Make it like my old 77 Silverline.  Thank you.  Oh yeah...please hurry; I'm getting old.

16 SC/Honda 60

Offline blindmonkey

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2017, 07:54:25 AM »
If you are interested in a belly tank perhaps contact Mardog for information. http://www.arimaowners.com/index.php?topic=10279.0

Lorne
2013 17' Sea Chaser, Honda 90, Yamaha F8
1994 Sea Explorer, Mercury 60, SOLD

Offline Arimadrifter

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2017, 09:42:01 AM »
Good stuff, thank you.

Offline Rokefin

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2017, 10:25:38 AM »
I really like the idea of a belly tank, and would look into this if I did not already have a 20 gallon custom aluminum tank in the cuddy. I rarely use the cuddy tank though, I keep roughly 8 gallons in there for weight distribution and for emergency but never have used it. Most my trips are day trips and the most fuel I use is maybe 10 to 12 gallons. I refresh the fuel every year.
1989 17ft Arima Sea Chaser 2010 115 Yamaha 1995 9.9 Yamaha kicker - Bodega mostly

Offline gar143

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.

Offline Markshoreline

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2017, 12:16:35 PM »
The saddles were made by someone else for Arima.  I've never been able to find them aftermarket.  I was fortunate to buy a pair that were new old stock that had originally come from Arima.

Offline Arimadrifter

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2017, 01:25:37 PM »
Rokefin,
I was considering doing the same thing with a second tank in the cabin. Is your tank custom or standard? Any pics?
Thanks to all for the ideas!

Offline corky12

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2017, 04:45:42 PM »
http://moellermarine.com/moeller-marine/fuel-containment/19-gallon-permanent-below-deck-boat-fuel-tank-032819/
.  I think the company was Inca moulding/plastcs.    I actually called them up and bought one of the saddle tanks.  This was about 20 years ago. Not sure if they would have any more or not but they are online.

Offline Arimadrifter

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2017, 05:02:19 PM »
Gar,
That Moeller tank looks perfect. Obviously, it wouldn't be a great idea to have the batteries in the same enclosed area (i.e. Sparks). Are there any other potential issues with putting a tank like this in the cabin?

Offline Rokefin

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2017, 09:07:15 PM »
Rokefin,
I was considering doing the same thing with a second tank in the cabin. Is your tank custom or standard? Any pics?
Thanks to all for the ideas!

It was a custom made tank that was formed to fit at the very front of the cuddy so I still have plenty of storage room. I'll try to get by and get a pic of it tomorrow evening.
1989 17ft Arima Sea Chaser 2010 115 Yamaha 1995 9.9 Yamaha kicker - Bodega mostly

Offline Threeweight

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2017, 10:53:07 AM »
I just used a Moeller 12 gallon above deck tank, with an added valve + hoses to make it easy to swap back and forth between it and the main tank.  With the Suzi on my old boat, even with a worst-case 3.5 mpg that was another 40+ miles of range
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Wild Card, Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220, Honda 225 and 9.9

“Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed.”
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Holoholo808

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2017, 11:14:12 AM »
The tank Mardog installed is a Moeller model 32535 - 35 gallon below deck (this pic is of his install)

You'll need to cut off the factory fill and replace with a plate and flush fill/vent. He used steel, I used HDPE.

You'll also have to grind out some material from the bottom of the covers for clearance for your vent and pickup lines.

In practice I'm able to get around 32 gallons filled in the tank with the boat on a trailer with the trailer jack near max height.

Running the vent line takes a little effort but overall it's a worthwhile modification.

As a plus side you'll also have direct access to the bilge when you cut the bottom of the fishbox out; it makes working on bilge pumps and cleaning a lot easier.

1611 SC Honda BF90D

For easier searching go to Google and type "site:www.arimaowners.com (search term)"

Offline BurnsieBabe

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2017, 01:57:02 PM »
The reason we stopped doing the saddle tanks is that Inca destroyed molds after we did not buy them for a few years (had stock and then boat business took a nosedive) so they thought they were obsolete. We cannot get them reasonably now as new molds would have to be made. Also, on a side note,Inca has sold the fuel tank business to Moeller now.

Belinda

Offline Fisherdv

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2017, 02:13:31 PM »
The reason we stopped doing the saddle tanks is that Inca destroyed molds after we did not buy them for a few years (had stock and then boat business took a nosedive) so they thought they were obsolete. We cannot get them reasonably now as new molds would have to be made. Also, on a side note,Inca has sold the fuel tank business to Moeller now.

Belinda
Not to get off the original topic but do you know if the 27 gallon tanks are still available for a new 16 SC?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 02:22:28 PM by Fisherdv »
2018, Sea Chaser 16, Honda 60HP

Offline J Chaser

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2017, 02:26:31 PM »
It was mentioned in an earlier thread that the 27 gallon tank is still available.

I put one in my SC1511 in 2013.

J.
Sea Chaser 1511, Yamaha F70, Yamaha F6 kicker

Offline Fisherdv

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2017, 02:31:04 PM »
J, I do remember that being mentioned. I’m wondering if they have them available to sell on its own or if they only have stock for what their using for the 17 SC they build.

Offline PugetScott

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2017, 10:34:44 AM »

You'll need to cut off the factory fill and replace with a plate and flush fill/vent. He used steel, I used HDPE.

You'll also have to grind out some material from the bottom of the covers for clearance for your vent and pickup lines.

Sir - thank you for this info.  I'm curious if the flush fill setup was something you bought or something you made.  I understand why it is needed; I'm just trying to understand how you went about getting it that way.
1990 Sea Ranger 19 Hardtop
1995 Yamaha 115 two stroke
2001 Yamaha 9.9 four stroke

Offline Markshoreline

« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2017, 02:38:13 PM »
Belinda- Thank you for solving the saddle tank mystery! 

Offline Holoholo808

« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2017, 05:47:13 PM »
Sir - thank you for this info.  I'm curious if the flush fill setup was something you bought or something you made.  I understand why it is needed; I'm just trying to understand how you went about getting it that way.

Any modification to the tank will void the warranty so you'll need to fabricate the plate yourself. I'd suggest metal as the polyethylene was easy to work with but harder to seal around the vent tap (nothing really sticks to PE). I had to make my own gaskets using fuel-resistant material (available from an auto parts store). Secure the plate using tee nuts or by having nuts tacked/welded to the plate (metal).

Let me know if you have more questions.
1611 SC Honda BF90D

For easier searching go to Google and type "site:www.arimaowners.com (search term)"

Offline troll4fish

« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2017, 10:49:37 PM »
I wanted the same thing you are looking for, more range and backup fuel quantity so I looked around and found an 11-1/2 gallon Moeller tank on craigslist here in the Denver area that was out of a salvage boat that had fallen off the trailer on the highway and only paid $30 for it which included a 18' new fuel line so I cleaned it thoroughly and mounted it in the cuddy. Now with 34 gallons I feel better going on longer trips.
92 Sea Chaser 17
2004 (2015 total rebuild) Mercury 90 EFI 4 stroke
2014 Honda 8hp full remote power tilt!

Offline Arimadrifter

« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2017, 06:43:13 AM »
Thanks Troll,
Do you happen to have a pic of the install?

Offline Fishin Machine

« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2017, 06:09:14 AM »
Holo, I'm not trying to steal someone's thread., buuut I would like to add a different pump and hose to my fresh water tank. I am not sure how to drill a new hole in the plastic tank and add a threaded connection. Is there a kit?  :shrug9:
DDT
2003 19' Sea Ranger

Offline Holoholo808

« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2017, 10:43:03 AM »
Holo, I'm not trying to steal someone's thread., buuut I would like to add a different pump and hose to my fresh water tank. I am not sure how to drill a new hole in the plastic tank and add a threaded connection. Is there a kit?  :shrug9:

Sent you a PM so we don't derail this thread. Maybe start a separate thread if you want to hear from others who have more experience than me?
1611 SC Honda BF90D

Offline Croaker Stroker

1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"If a fish will, he will… if he won't, he won't… and that's about it… except… he may take this when he won't take that."

Offline Rokefin

« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2017, 01:26:06 PM »
Sorry for the late photo but here is the cuddy fuel tank   

Offline Holoholo808

« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2017, 12:00:39 PM »
Since a couple people have asked...

Here's what I did. Mardog was the first to do this that I'm aware of and I think he did a better job than me.

Adding the fuel tank is a worthwhile investment. In order to do so you will need to cut out the bottom of the fish box and the storage well in front of it.

I used a oscillating tool as it minimizes dust. I also made a jig and marked a line with a sharpie about 5-1/2" down from the deck to keep the cut edge straight.

I also cut out the front of the small storage hatch to run a vent line up to the cuddy and out the side.

The most time consuming part is making the plate that takes the place of the filler. I made mine with HDPE and tee nuts/cork gaskets but if I had to do it again I'd go with metal and liquid gasket.

In practice I get about 30-33 gallons in the tank before it's overfilled/bulging (XLPE tanks will swell about 3% anyway) so I added a 3 way valve and keep a small (12 gallon) tank in the original location as my 1/3 emergency reserve. I'll run this occasionally to cycle through and keep the fuel fresh. I added an 8" clear deck plate to the center trim panel so I can see what tank is in service and switch without taking the whole panel off (there's a usually an on-deck) fishbox in the way.

Hope this helps. Be prepared to make a lot of fiberglass dust
1611 SC Honda BF90D

« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2017, 08:14:01 AM »
For offshore tuna trips in my Sea Chaser 17, I have a 12-gallon deck tank and use that fuel on the run out - then stow the empty tank in the cuddy cabin when it's empty.
2000 SC17 with 2018 Yamaha 90 hp.
Home port = Trinidad, CA.

Offline Yachter Yat

« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2017, 10:12:17 AM »
   Sorry guys, but I think Humboldt and Rokefin might have the right idea with respect to carrying auxiliary fuel.  I'd be very reluctant to cut-out all that glass from the floor of my Arima.  I'd be afraid of the potential loss of structural rigidity; to the extent that (in time) it could lead to some major stress cracking.  I'd be particularly concerned about those cracks beginning at the corners of the hatches.......the obvious weak points.  My 2.

Yat

P.S.  Just reading back on this thread, I see Threeweight was using an above-deck auxiliary tank as well.  A better idea than cutting all that glass, I think. 
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 10:20:16 AM by Yachter Yat »
Dear Arima:  Please "square-off" the Hunter transom.  Make it like my old 77 Silverline.  Thank you.  Oh yeah...please hurry; I'm getting old.

16 SC/Honda 60

Offline Ssericz

« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2017, 10:59:50 PM »
I did a 27 gallon belly tank without any real removal or difficult work

Offline Yachter Yat

« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2017, 05:39:10 AM »
   Ssericz:

If I'm not mistaken, (looking at your picture) it appears there are stress cracks at the corners of those hatches.  As I suggested in my previous post, the downside of this alteration could be to compromise the rigidity of this hull.  At least that's what it looks like to me.  Now, maybe those cracks are just cosmetic, but who knows where it goes in time.  Since this is a modification that a number of our members have seemingly contemplated in the past, it would be interesting to hear what Donny Gross has to offer about this.  Perhaps we could get Belinda to report back from him??

Yat

16 SC/Honda 60

Offline Croaker Stroker

« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2017, 10:09:39 AM »
I really like the idea of a belly tank, and would look into this if I did not already have a 20 gallon custom aluminum tank in the cuddy. I rarely use the cuddy tank though, I keep roughly 8 gallons in there for weight distribution and for emergency but never have used it. Most my trips are day trips and the most fuel I use is maybe 10 to 12 gallons. I refresh the fuel every year.

I removed my 30 gallon factory aluminum bow tank and stored it in my garage attic because I knew I would never need more than the stock 23 gallon tank.  My body can’t take a 100 mile ride anymore.   :hoboy:

If I do, I’ll carry jerry jugs.   :shrug9:

"If a fish will, he will… if he won't, he won't… and that's about it… except… he may take this when he won't take that."

Offline Yachter Yat

« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2017, 10:16:18 AM »
   I've got several of those "no spill" plastic gas jugs.  I never need or carry extra fuel on my boat, but it seems like those would serve quite well for the job. 

Yat

16 SC/Honda 60

Offline Croaker Stroker

« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2017, 10:32:23 AM »
   I've got several of those "no spill" plastic gas jugs.  I never need or carry extra fuel on my boat, but it seems like those would serve quite well for the job. 

Yat

They have already outlawed the ones I have.  :shrug9:

Offline jamaica

« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2017, 11:21:53 AM »
Any gas cans that work well are illegal in California, they don't allow vents. I know people who have bought their tanks in Nevada.
1994 19' Sea Ranger 150hp Merc 2stk 9.9hp Yam

Offline Fisherdv

« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2017, 11:52:28 AM »
Any gas cans that work well are illegal in California, they don't allow vents. I know people who have bought their tanks in Nevada.
Just put a vented cap on. That’s what I had to do with my EPA portable tanks I had. Might not be legal, but a lot better than a tank that swells like a ballon  :hoboy:

Offline Ssericz

« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2017, 03:53:49 PM »
   Ssericz:

If I'm not mistaken, (looking at your picture) it appears there are stress cracks at the corners of those hatches.  As I suggested in my previous post, the downside of this alteration could be to compromise the rigidity of this hull.  At least that's what it looks like to me.  Now, maybe those cracks are just cosmetic, but who knows where it goes in time.  Since this is a modification that a number of our members have seemingly contemplated in the past, it would be interesting to hear what Donny Gross has to offer about this.  Perhaps we could get Belinda to report back from him??

Yat

Funny thing is those spider cracks were there prior to fuel tank and the never expanded or anything after the install... even after 700hours of abuse so I don’t think it’s too big of a worry