News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

I finally learned how to make a little money commercial fishing.

Started by Tunacious, October 13, 2017, 07:34:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tunacious

After three years of commercial fishing, I finally learned how to make a little money commercial fishing.

To make a little money commercial fishing, you have to start off with a lot of money.    :bigshock: :jester:

Tomorrow morning Im leaving for Port Orford to be there for the opener of the commercial salmon season.

Wish me luck.

My wife keeps telling, me she doesn't thing this commercial fishing gig is working out.   :shark:

This year I'm taking my wall tent and stove.  Going to camp in Blanco State Park.

Trying to keep my expenses down.  Last year I stayed in a motel.

Im hoping to stay at least a couple of weeks if the fish are there and biting.

If things go really well I am prepared to stay there until Thanksgiving.   :food: :lowdown:

I'll try and give a report once in a while.

Walt

Arimadrifter

17' Arima SC with 2017 90hp Yamaha

Tom Mac

Good luck with your salmon season, think you need a RV! but that is even more money!
1991 Sea Ranger 17, 2014 F90 Yamaha, 2008 T8 Yamaha

Live to ride and ride to Live

La-Z-Buoy

Good luck Walt. I think you've got the busiest little Arima in the world. Hope the seas calm down for you. Surf report says 10 to 16 foot surf Thursday and Friday here.
Richard

2001 21' Sea Ranger HT
2017 DF 140 Suzuki, Honda 8

Wiley

Living vicariously through you. Calm seas and good fishing to ya  :bowdown:
86 c Dory 22' new 90 hp etec (sold)
96 sea explorer 15'-11" new 90 etec named (wutz wuzn cuzn)
10' Don Hill Pram
Respectfully, Build, Buy, Be American
Please bring back logging, we can't afford to keep burning up our country!!!

Markshoreline

All the best, Walt.  That sounds like quite an adventure!
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

First Cabin

Curious what run of salmon that commercial season targets.  What's the quota?  Interesting.  Our season ends and yours starts!  Good luck.  I've never been there, but I hear the weather down there is fantastic even in winter.  Called the banana belt?
First:  1982 15' SeaHunter, Yamaha 70 2-stroke, Yamaha F6
Second:  1987 17' SeaRanger, Merc 90 2-stroke, Yamaha F8
Current:  2002 17' SeaChaser, Yamaha F100, Yamaha T8

BestBoats

Let the blood letting begin!
Remind your wife how much money you would be spending if you were just fishing and not selling the fish. If you can break even and pay to keep the boat running and gear that's worth a lot!
As we all know the fishing addiction is expensive. But at least it's good for you!  :beerchug:
2007 21' Sea Ranger Hardtop "THE A-TEAM"
150 Evinrude Etec
9.9 Susuki EFI

Tunacious

Quote from: First Cabin on October 14, 2017, 06:32:11 AM
Curious what run of salmon that commercial season targets.  What's the quota?  Interesting.  Our season ends and yours starts!  Good luck.  I've never been there, but I hear the weather down there is fantastic even in winter.  Called the banana belt?

They call this a bubble fishery.  Just a small bubble of area that they allow the commercial fisherman into to keep some fresh salmon on the market.

The area we are fishing is right off the beach just north of Port Orford.

Most of us fish in front of the Elk River.  The Elk River does not have an estuary so the salmon lay in the ocean waiting to go up the river.  If it rains a lot the fish keep entering the river and the commercial season is not as good.

A little further up the coast is the Sixes River.  I have never gone up there but some of he guys will venture up there on occasion.

There is a daily quota of 20 fish per boat.  I am not sure if there is a overall group quota for the year.

The fishery is somewhat limited because there is no boat launch and Port Orford Port only has a crane to lift the boats into and out of the water.  A person has to have his boat set up with straps and lifting points.

Below is a couple of photos from last years trip. 

The guy holding up the fish is a friend of mine that wanted to be a deck hand for a couple of days.  He must have gotten the fish bug because he went from being a first time ever deck had on my boat to finding a boat on Bristol Bay that took him on as a deck hand all last summer.  He came home from Bristol Bay talking about buying a boat for the Bristol Bay fishery.   :hoboy: :doh:
I told him to stay in nursing school and get a part time or seasonal job fishing.   :yeahthat:

GregE

Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak II
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

Kimbrey

Wall tent......Hmmmmm I have a nice Eagle Cap slide in truck camper that I'll sell.  Generator, microwave, refer et cetera. 
2005 Sea Legend --Sold--replaced with 26' Duckworth—Sold—replaced with 28' Farallon Walkaround

Tunacious

On my way.
I had to stop at Home Depot and pick up a couple of things I forgot
Regarding those locking gas caps, I brought along my new Keltech PMR 30.
It's a 22 Magnum semi auto that holds 31 rounds

GregE

Greg
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

Tunacious

Rolled into Cape Blanco State Park about 5:30 pm today.

The spot I wanted was opened. I wanted the spot right across from the park host so he could keep an eye on my camp.

I got my tent squared away well after it got dark.

Got my little chest freezer inside the tent to keep my 2 cases of herring frozen.

My fridge is running and has a few beers along with some grub.

A couple of weeks ago I picked up a gravity feed pellet stove on Craig's list for $200.

I got the stove going and I'm going to have to open a window. This stove should work great for drying my clothes out. 

I like to hang an American flag when I'm camping. I'll get the flag up tomorrow.

I attached a few photos of my Port Orford fish camp 2017.

wedocq

Looks like a sweet fish camp Walt! I checked out that handgun. It says it's just 13.6 ounces, wow! What's it weigh with the 30 rounds? Haha
-Shawn
2002 21' Arima Sea Ranger HT  Suzuki [glow=red,2,300]DF175 [/glow] 4-stroke.
WEDOCQ= WE DO SEKIU! It pays homage to my Uncle Jay who died of cancer.

Arimadrifter

17' Arima SC with 2017 90hp Yamaha

rasslingref

Good luck Walt. Wrestling season is just around the corner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1998 19' SR HT 2019 Yamaha 115 2017 Yamaha 9.9
Kitsap County, WA

Tunacious

Wrestling season is upon us for sure.
Only one in the box. There is a couple guys out here who just slay the fish.
I'm not one of them. If this was my only pay check I'd starve.
I look good doing it in my Arima though.

GregE

Greg

Tunacious

BestBoats

I know a guy who sells Tuna bellies. I could hook you up with him then you could put them in the Brads cut plug lure and slay them :biggrin:
150 Evinrude Etec
9.9 Susuki EFI

Markshoreline

That must have been a huge fish!

Walt, you may want to put a tarp over your tent if your area will be getting the weather we will for the next week or so...
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

BestBoats

150 Evinrude Etec
9.9 Susuki EFI