News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Bilge draining problems

Started by Neal, October 09, 2017, 04:40:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neal

Bilge will not drain completely with plug out.  I will drive up hills with plug out and water will drain out but not completely.  After I stop and boat is level there is still water in bilge.  Thanks for help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GregE

Place a cloth strip in the drain hole so it reaches the bilge.  It will help wick the residual water
Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

Fisherdv

I also noticed I can't get all the water to drain after washing. I parked my boat on a steep driveway and washed it down and gave it time till I didn't see anymore water coming out the drain hole. Put the boat away in the garage and looked inside the in floor cooler (between the two pedestal seats) and I could see water through the drain hole in the in floor cooler. Bilge Area looked dry but somehow the water is pooling towards the middle/bow area
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

darci

The low spot is below the "lunch box" someone once called it...
I am fitting my next (second) bilge pump there. Some folks put downrigger weights there, rod holders, and what have you.
I have mine empty most of the time, so no loss to fit a hatch and pump there, ( how handy) when I do, I will post a how to.

AJFishin

Put a rag in the drain hole, lift the bow of the boat and call it a day, that's what I do.
'96 Sea Ranger 19, 2016 Mercury 115 EFI CT (115F231D) 
'96 Sea Chaser 16, 2019 Suzuki DF60AV (Sold) 
'87 Sea Chaser 17, 1987 Johnson V4 90 (Sold)
My YouTube channel: youtube.com/socalseachaser

Fisherdv

The rag in the drain hole worked great on my previous boats, but the water builds up towards the bow. Even on a steep driveway it wouldn't all drain. I just looked at it tonight and the water under the "lunch box" is all dried up. It's been a week and a half so maybe there wasn't as much water as I thought was in there
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

First Cabin

Quote from: darci on October 09, 2017, 06:26:36 PM
The low spot is below the "lunch box" someone once called it...
I am fitting my next (second) bilge pump there. Some folks put downrigger weights there, rod holders, and what have you.
I have mine empty most of the time, so no loss to fit a hatch and pump there, ( how handy) when I do, I will post a how to.

I'd recommend against this idea.  A lot of work..cut out the bottom...where are the wires and tubes going to go?  Have you studied bilge pump capacity and lift?  If you have to run the hose out from there, you'll be disappointed by the pump efficiency.  Just how much water do you think is going to get held up in the front?  A gallon?  That's not going to sink you.....

I don't like that water is held up in the front of the boat....I've learned to drain it as best I can and forget about the few ounces up there.
First:  1982 15' SeaHunter, Yamaha 70 2-stroke, Yamaha F6
Second:  1987 17' SeaRanger, Merc 90 2-stroke, Yamaha F8
Current:  2002 17' SeaChaser, Yamaha F100, Yamaha T8

Markshoreline

I always run my bilge pumps under power with the bow up so the water runs aft when on the water.  When trailering Indrive up steep hills and even park if possible to let water run out.  At home when resting on the  the trailer I raise the jack as high as possible on blocks and drain the bilge by stuffing in the drain hole strips from the side of an old towels to remove by capillary action the remaining water.  Really amazing how much water that will drain!
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Rokefin

If it is a real concern a guy could rig up an air blower and blow air up into the bilge area to help evaporate what little water is left in the cavities....It's why I like a used boat - with a new boat things like trapped water would drive me crazy. For now, I do what I can to drain it....no worries.

Markshoreline

If there is some debris stacked up in the inside of the drain hole I bend about 1/4" of the end of a piece of coat hanger to reach in and clear it out.   This works well when the bow is raised and there's plenty of water to flush it out.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Yachter Yat

It just seems like most trailer jacks don't lift quite high enough to drain these Arimas.  As Darci said, there is a low spot in this hull. The way to see this is by putting a level on the gunwale and then placing it on the keel.  You'll see what I'm talking about.  Not a bad thing.........it's just the way it is.   In the past I've blocked the trailer wheels and put another block under the jack in order to get it high enough.  What I do now is remove the bilge plug right after hauling-out.  The water seems to be pretty well drained-out after my one hour trip home from the marina.   

Yat
Being married, is when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

darci

Hey there...just a minute !
   If not for silly non issue "problems" to "fix" what would we do when not actually using our boats?
   There are dozens of ways to deal with a little water up front, usually gravity or just some sunshine cures the issue.

It would be a big deal if any of us actually carried out any of these strange ideas. I just spent two hours checking a non working bilge pump...my mechanic who installed new steering bashed the top of the fuse switch thingie on the dash, Knocked off a terminal...I re-connected now no bilge or anchor lites.

'Good thing the river is low and the salmon few! Not that a bilge pump is even used for trailer day trips on a calm body of water.

Just something to talk about until "next time".

Too much time on our hands not enough fishing partners....

dbhazjack

Draining the bilge, piece of cake, my problem, towing to Neah is a PITA!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2013 17' Sea Chaser, 90 hp Honda, 8 hp Honda Kicker. SOLD

croaker stroker

I don't worry much about a little water in the bilge.

Occasionally, I'll add some bleach so it smells pretty.
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸