News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Should have listened to Gary.

Started by croaker stroker, October 07, 2017, 12:00:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fisherdv

I noticed on my last trip on the river that I was getting a bit of spray on my windshield while running in relatively flat water with only a hint of a ripple. I don't know what was causing that? No wind either. I haven't got it out on the bay yet cause I've been fishing salmon in the river but in the bay chop am I gonna get soaked without the rails? :shrug9:
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

Wiley

Thanks C.S. Definitely followed your advice, much appreciated, probably wouldn't have attempted without
86 c Dory 22' new 90 hp etec (sold)
96 sea explorer 15'-11" new 90 etec named (wutz wuzn cuzn)
10' Don Hill Pram
Respectfully, Build, Buy, Be American
Please bring back logging, we can't afford to keep burning up our country!!!

Salmon King

Quote from: Fisherdv on October 23, 2017, 09:22:34 PM
I noticed on my last trip on the river that I was getting a bit of spray on my windshield while running in relatively flat water with only a hint of a ripple. I don't know what was causing that? No wind either. I haven't got it out on the bay yet cause I've been fishing salmon in the river but in the bay chop am I gonna get soaked without the rails? :shrug9:

Unless you run with the bow trimmed up a bit yeah...you're gonna get wet some.
PLEASE...Fly your flag Proudly, and remember to thank a Vet!
2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

croaker stroker

Quote from: Salmon King on October 24, 2017, 10:37:02 AM
Quote from: Fisherdv on October 23, 2017, 09:22:34 PM

Unless you run with the bow trimmed up a bit yeah...you're gonna get wet some.

A little water hits my bow-eye now and then. ....but that's just a spritz. Nothing like the buckets that use to come over the windshield before.
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Fisherdv

Thx guys, I guess I'll see when I get it out in the bay and ocean. I hate getting my eyes burnt with saltwater  :doh:
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

Hydroman

I thought the spray rails were normally installed lower on the hull at the chine.

Jim
17 Sea Chaser (sold)
21 Skip Tower (sold)
27 Thunder Jet OS (sold)
22 Thunder Jet OS

croaker stroker

I added it to the knuckle for two reasons. 1) Gary (Canvasguy) added his there and had good results. 2) Arima chose to increase the size of the knuckle on later models.

Previous to adding my spray rails, the water would slide up the hull past the knuckle and hit the Rub-Rail. The water was deflected by the rub-rail outward instead of downward. Then the wind would throw the water up and over the boat. Now, with the Spray-Rail installed, the water is deflected downward and only a small amount of errant spray makes it up to my windshield.

I am not making recommendations. Just sharing my experience. Use your own judgement. If you are not handy and familiar with boat/fiberglass repair, I suggest consulting a professional boat builder/mechanic or "Taco Marine" for a professional opinion.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Holoholo808

[emoji1426]Gary nailed the placement. They helped to keep most of the spray down this past weekend.

For easier searching go to Google and type "site:www.arimaowners.com (search term)"

CanvasGuy

Thanks guys for the pixs and the good memories of the FBG,,,Miss her i do .yoda.. :yeahthat:
Gary Smart
boatless  now
http://www.smartcustomcanvas.com
"Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying." Arthur C. Clarke

GregE

Wow!!  color coded and all......   :applause:

We need some more pics of that set up   :arms: 
Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

tc808

Quote from: Holoholo808 on October 24, 2017, 03:42:29 PM
[emoji1426]Gary nailed the placement. They helped to keep most of the spray down this past weekend.

Nice pic Holo, any luck?

Holoholo808

Quote from: GregE on October 25, 2017, 11:44:26 AM
Wow!!  color coded and all......   :applause:

We need some more pics of that set up   :arms:

I'll try to get a pic of the whole rear deck setup next time I'm at the dock and will post on a separate thread.

Quote from: tc808 on October 25, 2017, 01:40:02 PM
Nice pic Holo, any luck?

Just a barracuda outside the kayakers by Kahala; big enough to have ciguatera to I let it go. One more knockdown on the 40 outside Sandys but it didn't stick. This weekend is looking good. Heard there's action if you drag small lures (4"-5").
For easier searching go to Google and type "site:www.arimaowners.com (search term)"

tc808

Ooh tempting I was thinking of getting out on Friday if weather and work  schedule works out, just finished changing the impeller in the main and drilling out and tapping a busted bolt on the trim fin that I didn't need to take off  :shrug9:

GregE

The picture thread looks great and that set up will fish.  Keep taking us along.   :arms:

One day I'll be back there and hope to visit.  This Ono hit hard for it's size

Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

Wiley

Should have left the screws in and sanded the rails..
10' Don Hill Pram

Markshoreline

2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Wiley

10' Don Hill Pram

croaker stroker

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Rokefin

Quote from: Croaker Stroker on October 27, 2017, 08:56:45 PM

http://tacomarine.com/ccp51/media/images/instruction_manuals/Taco-Marine_Installation-Instructions_V21-0874_Spray-Rail.pdf

Side note - step 10 states to use alcohol on final clean, if you are using 3M 5200 their instructions state no alcohol products to be used - I would recommend no alcohol.

Rokefin

Quote from: Wiley on October 26, 2017, 05:37:33 PM
Should have left the screws in and sanded the rails..

Yes Wiley, I didn't see any harm with leaving the screws in. Mine are still on solid as well as croakers.
Bummer to see them come loose.

Arimadrifter

Wiley, did you use 5200 on the install?
17' Arima SC with 2017 90hp Yamaha

Wiley

10' Don Hill Pram

croaker stroker

I was dreaming about Steiger Craft boats and noticed that many owners have added these spray rails....

They must also be a wet ride ??

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Wiley

So they were used in varying conditions last week with good results I'd say they definitely help quite a bit
10' Don Hill Pram

croaker stroker

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸