News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

What do you put in the "lunch box"?

Started by AlaskaBill, December 24, 2011, 12:35:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlaskaBill

That squarish floor box in the deck forward of the fish hold and in front of the cuddly door. I have little use for ice and I forget the box is even there most of the time. But, I was pondering...(danger) since...(justification) it is lower than the transom...(visualize) how about pluming the bilge pump(s) and transdcer in a cutout in the box bottom?

E-Z access, use of an un-used space.  Maybe even hinge the lid so little chance of a stray downrigger ball finding it's way into the compartment? Why not?

Salmon King

Now I use it to hold my DR weights.
Before that I used it to hold my plastic lure boxes.

Terry B.
PLEASE...Fly your flag Proudly, and remember to thank a Vet!
2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

AlaskaBill

Terry, Do you see a problem with the builg and transducer location?

croaker stroker

The transducer should be nearer to the transom.
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

GoodDays

Mine is lined with a chunk of styrofoam insulation and holds all my spare downrigger weights ..

GoodDays Greg

StreamFixer

Down rigger weights and rod holders when on the road

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

Salmon King

I guess one could place a transducer there but...WHY would you?
That's too far forward for conventional way of thinking. 
I believe it's really designed to be just a storage bin for smaller items but then if you line it with styrofoam it would really be the cooler they call it (big enough for a six-pack).

2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

AlaskaBill

Quote from: Salmon King on December 24, 2011, 05:51:55 PM
I guess one could place a transducer there but...WHY would you?
That's too far forward for conventional way of thinking. 
I believe it's really designed to be just a storage bin for smaller items but then if you line it with styrofoam it would really be the cooler they call it (big enough for a six-pack).

I thought of cutting out the rear fishbox, but I USE the fishbox, for fish! Why put the transducer in the stern? Cavitation bubble distortion at high speed perhaps (?) but I use the sonar while trolling. It seems that putting the bilge pump at the lowest point would make sence. I was thinking of easy bilge pump service. and getting the pump out of that gopher hole in the stern...

fishorcrab

There has been earlier discussion about shoot through the hull mounting of sonar transducers.  The only place this can work is near the stern where it is a single thinkness of fiberglass rather than the fiberglass/foam/fiberglass sandwich.  The sandwich makes our boats mostly unsinkable but would absorb most of the sonar energy in the foam and material transitions. 

Maybe someone else will remember if the discussion was here or on one of the older sites. Belinda knows the facts here. Perhaps, she will chime in.

Paul
SC16 Yamaha 4s 90
SP17 Honda 4s 90  - Croaker made me do it. :)

theSaltyPuddle

I believe you want your bulge pump at the stern for those times you would need it working while under power.  For example in a trailing sea that is coming over the transom.  It's a bit of a holy @#$% situation, but that's when it would be most valuable imho.  Or, taking waves over the bow.  In either case, you aren't going to hang out on those type of seas for a beer, you're heading in, fast.
Sent from my HTC
1985 SC 17, 2017 Mercury 90Hp

AlaskaBill

Quote from: fishorcrab on December 24, 2011, 06:15:42 PM
There has been earlier discussion about shoot through the hull mounting of sonar transducers.  The only place this can work is near the stern where it is a single thinkness of fiberglass rather than the fiberglass/foam/fiberglass sandwich.  The sandwich makes our boats mostly unsinkable but would absorb most of the sonar energy in the foam and material transitions. 

Maybe someone else will remember if the discussion was here or on one of the older sites. Belinda knows the facts here. Perhaps, she will chime in.

Paul

BINGO! hole in the rear fishbox it is. Thanks, Bill

Salmon King

Pretty sure that was on the other site. I made more than 1 reply in that thread.
2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

PNW Pride

21' Sea Ranger/Honda 150HP

GoodDays

My styrofoam isnt for insulation... just to hold the downrigger balls from rolling and bouncing around  !!!

GoodDays Greg  :cha:

CanvasGuy

Fillet n Release I thought... :biggrin:
Gary Smart
boatless  now
http://www.smartcustomcanvas.com
"Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying." Arthur C. Clarke

croaker stroker

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

LvrWurst 21 SR Skip

Oh what the hay.....just cut out the small box bottom and mount your transducer there. That way you'll get to the fish faster than your tail end. And it sure beats marking an X on the side of the boat where you caught your last fish.
Just joking. The deepest part of your boat is at the engine/transom. That is the best place for it. (or near it) Good luck. JW
19' Jetcraft  Like new 115 Yami 4 Stroke 
SOLD  16 Sea Explorer - 17 SR Skip -19 SR Skip - 21 SR Skip

German Sausages are the WURST!

AlaskaBill

Just joking. The deepest part of your boat is at the engine/transom. That is the best place for it. (or near it) Good luck. JW
[/quote]

Why does the boat drain more when you RAISE the bow? I am to think that the deck level of our Arimas are about at the water line (at rest of course, not on step).
Just a casual look (use a stick if you are impaired) will tell anyone that the distance from deck to the transom @ the drain hole is shallower than the same measurement @ the fishbox drain hole.

I think the bilge is just a little deeper forward that at the stern.

No way to put the transducer under the lunch box if there is floatation laminated under the lunch box floor. (Is there?)

And the point of bilge drainage underway makes allot of sense. I was just thinking that location would be well protected and very accessable for repairs and maintenance. I may well put a second bilge pump in the fishbox... an automatic for times I keep in slip. 

Thanks All!

fishorcrab

SC16 Yamaha 4s 90
SP17 Honda 4s 90  - Croaker made me do it. :)

croaker stroker

I had to re-rout my transducer wires to the port side due to interference from the ignition. At least, if you mount in the lunch box, you would avoid a long wire run. You may get bubbles to far forward though.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

fishing eagle

I would not think that mounting a transducer in the "lunchbox" or helm area is a good idea. When at cruising speed you will see a lot of turbulence in that area as the bow bounces and may see a lot of air bubbles around the transducer. Also the logistics of mounting a transducer is a real problem because you have a V hull at that area, you would need to most likely use a through the hull transducer and not a shoot-thru-hull type. I doubt you can mount dead center or through the keel, so you would then end up with a large wedge mount or your sonar beam angled to port or starboard. If that all works... then you are mounting a transducer where it can easily be damaged as it is trailered.

I think you need to mount any transducer toward the stern unless it is a bow mount on an electric trolling motor which is not an Arima application.
(Reel Delight) a 2001 Sea Ranger 19, 2003 Honda 90, 2010 Yamaha T8 w/power tilt, Panther T4 steering system, Hummingbird electronics, & Scotty 1116 electric downriggers.
U.S. Navy Veteran, member of U.S. Power Squadron & Past President of Lake George Fishing Alliance (Retired & ready to fish!)