News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

17SC Yamaha 115 prop

Started by Rokefin, October 01, 2017, 10:07:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rokefin

My turn for prop help.....I have read past posts but am still uncertain/confused.
I have (use, I am not the owner) a 17 foot chaser with a 2010 Yami 115, I believe it has the stock aluminum prop on it 13 1/4 X 17 3 blade.
Here are my numbers of mph-rpm
15 mph  3300 rpm
20 mph  3800 rpm
22 mph  4500 rpm
30-32 mph  5500-5700 rpm
These numbers vary a little at times depending on conditions. I've always thought this set-up was ok and just used the boat as it is....the owner caught some rocks last week in a lake and the blade ends are dinged. He commented that he thought the boat was sluggish on the lower end and was slow to get on plane. (Trim tabs are coming this off season).

So since I need to buy a prop ASAP - do you feel this prop 13 1/4 X 17 3 blade aluminum is fine for our set up or by experience do you have a better suggestion. There seems to be many options blades-pitch-diameter- metal.....
Maybe less high end speed for more lower midrange thrust?
Should I have higher rpm's on top end?
Or stay where we're at with the stock style prop?

Markshoreline

Weight in the stern will cause shorter boats to squat and that creates a bit more work for the motor to lift the boat up out of the water.  My 19 had the same issue with the 115 and the solution was Smart Tabs replaced by trim tabs a year later, and a 4 blade 15" Solas propeller.  The other advantage of that combo is being able to stay on plane at 8-9 mph which allows you to keep the hull up in rough conditions so the boat handles much better.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Rokefin

Yes I agree the trim tabs are a must...I ran out of time this past spring so am waiting for the off season. I only ocean fish and it has been tough when I can only plane at around 14 mph.

I see the solas 4 blade aluminum props are affordable, that 4 blade 15 inch comes in 13, 13 3/8, and 13 1/2 diameter - do you recall the diameter? Also do you have a estimation of top rpm with your 4 blade prop?

Thanks for the help.

Rokefin

Mark
After investigating the Solas I see that it is only a 13" diameter - 15" pitch - is this correct? I am ready to order it just want to be certain it is the one to purchase....

Rokefin

Ordered the Solas 3413-130-15. After more investigation I believe I will be satisfied with this 4 blade 13" X 15"

dbhazjack

Quote from: Rokefin on October 02, 2017, 03:44:47 PM
Ordered the Solas 3413-130-15. After more investigation I believe I will be satisfied with this 4 blade 13" X 15"

I run that prop on my 90 Honda and absolutely love it. Better hole shot, more stable, seems like the engine works less, insignificant loss of top end. I was also running the 13.25 X 17\3 blade before this one. Think you'll be happy.
2013 17' Sea Chaser, 90 hp Honda, 8 hp Honda Kicker. SOLD

Markshoreline

Rokefin Sorry I was on the boat today and didn't get your posts.  Yes, I ordered whatever 15" 4 blade prop Solas has available.  The rpms were right at 6k and she got up and went!
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Rokefin

No worries Mark, I was trying to get the prop ordered asap so that I can hopefully give salmon and Cali Hali one last shot on Thursday - it should be here tomorrow.

dbhazjack, thanks for the confirmation. I feel confident now that this is the prop for my boat.

I'll post rpm's and speed if I can find good water in Tamales Bay on departure or return...my earlier rpm/mph readings may have come from 2 different conditions but I am pretty confident of the top speed numbers of 30-32 mph at 5500-5700 rpm's.

Fisherdv

Curious how much more did that 4 blade you got increase your trolling speed? I would have thought it would have went down but probably has to do with that 4th blade. (Referring to you comments on the other thread)
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

Rokefin

Looking at my notes I see where I wrote down 2.0 kts at 600 rpm and 2.2kts at 700 rpm, which is just off idle.  The 3 blade would have the rpm's at 1000 for speeds of 2.2 to 2.8 or so. I would throttle my main to 1000 rpm's when trolling for salmon with the 3 blade and this would usually have my gps speed any where from 2.2 to to 2.8 and at times  over 3.0 depending on the wind and current. I'm going off of memory trolling stats with the 3 blade but the numbers should be close, I think now I will try to document these speeds when on the salty lumpy water.

My GPS speed is on the kts setting.

Fisherdv

I also do a lot of trolling for salmon and halibut and like to be able to troll as slow as possible. I may even swap props back and forth depending on what or how I'm fishing. That would also be a good time to grease up the prop shaft.  :biggrin:
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

Rokefin

Good idea on the prop swap, I did order a new prop kit so I now have a spare complete prop set up, spare fasteners and all just in case. I may start using the kicker to troll with.