News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Circumnavigation of Whidbey, 2017

Started by Markshoreline, September 22, 2017, 07:43:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Markshoreline

Each year since we moved to Whidbey we have circled the island in our Arima at least once.  Due to competing priorities this year it didn't happen until late September which is a chancy proposition because of our weather.  However, today we had the blessing of sunshine, calm water and a free schedule so off we went to Everett to top off the tanks as we only had about 2 1/2 gallons on board.  After a $263 fill up for 63 gallons at 11:30 we headed North between Whidbey and Hat, then Camano islands. 
As we approached Penn Cove we were amazed at the plethora of fishing nets and crab pots strung all around the sound.  It was very difficult to navigate because they were so close to each other and you didn't know where they began and ended.  I was astonished because sportsmen were only allowed to stand and fish on two beaches on Whidbey Island this year- NO BOAT FISHING!!!  I'm actually a bit confused and mad about this remarkable disparity- are the coho at risk or not?

We pulled into Coupeville to have lunch at Toby's- the town only charges $5 for mooring for a few hours.  We had a great lunch of shrimp and fish and were on our way.

Heading North we continued to run the gauntlet of nets and crab traps (crabbing has been closed to sportsmen since labor day) making navigation difficult.

Soon we reached one of the most beautiful spots in Washington- Deception Pass. This tiny inlet receives and drains Puget Sound resulting in phenomenal current activity including the coriolis effect which can drop as much as 4-6 feet in this area. We dipped into one that was perhaps two to three feet deep and was pretty interesting to steer out of!

After the pass, we motored South along the length of Whidbey, past the naval base where some humongous fighter took off directly above us and along Ebey State Park were we saw one of our familiar hikes from the water view.

To the West was the Olympic Penninsula with it's consistent clouds which make for a dramatic backdrop.

Continuing down the West side of Whidbey we reached a point where we could make out Seattle's skyscrapers in the distance- perhaps 30 or 35 miles South.  On an iPhone, a little hard to capture!

After turning past Possession Point, we headed up North to our home point.  We traveled 102 miles in a bit over 4 hours for a 24.8 average moving mph.  We stopped for lunch for an hour or so.  The trip used 31 gallons of fuel.

We had a great adventure again this year- though went counter clockwise when we've always gone clockwise on previous years.  Highly recommend this trip weather depending.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Dhil12

Sounds like a great day! I would love to do that trip one day, but want to get a little more experience first. Glad you made it again this year!
Darrell
2018 Sea Legend ht with bulkhead
2018 Yamaha 200
9.9 yamaha kicker

Dbobby23

Sounds like a really cool trip. I spent some boat time near onamac point this summer and can't wait to get back up there. Thanks for the great recap of your trip.
1983 seahunter
2004 yamaha f8
2007 yamaha f60 efi

Biggmo808

Sounds like an amazing trip. Once I get my Arima I'll definitely do something like this. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yachter Yat

Nice report on a great cruise, Mark.  In the past few years I've pretty much given up on fishing.  Can't justify running 20 miles or so offshore for my one allowable Cod.  Result is we've been spending most of our time simply cruising the New England coast...........sightseeing, beaching and generally just enjoying our Arima on the water.  Looks like you had some nice sea conditions there.  BTW, as far as these nets and traps go, I don't think I'll ever come to understand the rationale behind these latest fishing regs.   :shrug9:   Oh well........have fun anyway. 

Yat
Being married, is when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Quote from: Markshoreline on September 22, 2017, 07:43:08 PM
Each year since we moved to Whidbey we have circled the island in our Arima at least once.  Due to competing priorities this year it didn't happen until late September which is a chancy proposition because of our weather.  However, today we had the blessing of sunshine, calm water and a free schedule so off we went to Everett to top off the tanks as we only had about 2 1/2 gallons on board.  After a $263 fill up for 63 gallons at 11:30 we headed North between Whidbey and Hat, then Camano islands. 
As we approached Penn Cove we were amazed at the plethora of fishing nets and crab pots strung all around the sound.  It was very difficult to navigate because they were so close to each other and you didn't know where they began and ended.  I was astonished because sportsmen were only allowed to stand and fish on two beaches on Whidbey Island this year- NO BOAT FISHING!!!  I'm actually a bit confused and mad about this remarkable disparity- are the coho at risk or not?

We pulled into Coupeville to have lunch at Toby's- the town only charges $5 for mooring for a few hours.  We had a great lunch of shrimp and fish and were on our way.

Heading North we continued to run the gauntlet of nets and crab traps (crabbing has been closed to sportsmen since labor day) making navigation difficult.

Soon we reached one of the most beautiful spots in Washington- Deception Pass. This tiny inlet receives and drains Puget Sound resulting in phenomenal current activity including the coriolis effect which can drop as much as 4-6 feet in this area. We dipped into one that was perhaps two to three feet deep and was pretty interesting to steer out of!

After the pass, we motored South along the length of Whidbey, past the naval base where some humongous fighter took off directly above us and along Ebey State Park were we saw one of our familiar hikes from the water view.

To the West was the Olympic Penninsula with it's consistent clouds which make for a dramatic backdrop.

Continuing down the West side of Whidbey we reached a point where we could make out Seattle's skyscrapers in the distance- perhaps 30 or 35 miles South.  On an iPhone, a little hard to capture!

In my long and grueling Search for my new to me arima, I currently own two, I've spoken to many sellers who no longer have their health to continue their time on the water and need to sell their beloved arimas.

I have to say in all honesty it was very emotional and sad for me to hear there storys.

Post like the one above allow the long time arima owners a chance to re-live past exprencises and fond memeroys of lost loved ones.

Please keep up the effort for those landlocked Arima vets.
Sincerely,Bob...aka..Top
:flag:
Live to ride and ride to Live

beancounter

Nice report there Mark. Didn't see any pictures of your blushing bride though. Better fix that before she reads this.

Markshoreline

Hey Jimmy I guess we were too busy enjoying our trip to do selfies but here's a pic from a previous summer:

By the way, 100 miles is easy- we get 200 mile days when we run round trip from here to the San Juans chasing shrimp.  The saddle tanks are the key in addition to the 48 gallon main.   However, my 19 had saddles and a 115 Yamaha and it got 5 mpg so was good for well over 300 miles on a fill up.

2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Yachter Yat

Love that photo, Mark.  You guys put a smile on my own face. 

Yat

Being married, is when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

BruceL2_Fish

Mark, great report.   It is interesting the disparity in the fishing regulations.    It is frustrating for sure.   Glad you and your bride had a great day on the water.   

Bruce
2012 Sea Ranger 19 (M. LaDeane)
Suzuki 115 Four Stroke
Honda 9.9 Kicker