News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Ken Burns Vietnam on PBS

Started by Yachter Yat, September 21, 2017, 06:04:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yachter Yat

Anybody watching this latest Ken Burns documentary?  Pretty interesting.  One of my older brothers, who passed away a few years ago, served there in 68/69.  Ken is from N.H.  My wife and I actually ran into him in a gift shop up North some years ago.  Probably one of the nicest guys you'd ever meet. 

Yat
History is not the past; it's the present, as we all carry it with us......James Baldwin    
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Danno

Just started watching it. DVR'ing it.
2015 19' Sea Chaser (2019 to current)
1998 19' Sea Ranger (2003 to 2008)

Lures are designed to catch fishermen not fish.

StreamFixer

Missed it, but would like to watch if anyone has a link...

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

GregE

I had it programmed to record, but the first one is The End starting in 1968....
  this is Newsmax  British program.

Going to do another search

Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak II
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

GregE

OK got it it's on episode 5 right now but I am able to record the earlier ones too.

Sf, check your local PBS station  it continues into Oct 3
Greg
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

croaker stroker

1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Markshoreline

I saw the introductory program and got the idea the actual series would begin next week.  Glad you mentioned it Yat.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Danno

Quote from: Yachter Yat on September 21, 2017, 06:04:06 AM
    Anybody watching this latest Ken Burns documentary?  Pretty interesting.  One of my older brothers, who passed away a few years ago, served there in 68/69.  Ken is from N.H.  My wife and I actually ran into him in a gift shop up North some years ago.  Probably one of the nicest guys you'd ever meet. 

Yat

done

StreamFixer

My bride of 44 years is still smarter than I (not an overly difficult achievement).  She found the program and has recorded it from the series start...   :redface:

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade

Markshoreline

When we were having lunch on Friday the waitress named all eleven beers on tap from memory.  When I mentioned how impressive that was and I could never do that she replied, "Of course, you're male!"

wedocq

I have heard its really well done. I plan on watching!
2002 21' Arima Sea Ranger HT  Suzuki [glow=red,2,300]DF175 [/glow] 4-stroke.
WEDOCQ= WE DO SEKIU! It pays homage to my Uncle Jay who died of cancer.

headduck

Think I saw it for sale at costco.
2003 19' Sea Ranger Skip Top 2015 Mercury 115 2012 Evinrude 9.8

1987 17' Sea Ranger 90 Honda (sold)

Yachter Yat

Danno:

Thanks for correcting those dates for me.  Really appreciate it. 

All the best,  Yat

History is not the past; it's the present, as we all carry it with us......James Baldwin    
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Danno

Just finished the LBJ episode. The first episode was great. I learned so much. I had no clue about the history of the French in Vietnam before the USA was involved.

They pretty much through Kennedy and Johnson under the bus but I do remember the concern that was highlighted over and over again in the 2nd and 3rd episodes that almost everybody was concerned about spreading communism and what the Vietnam people wanted had nothing to do with why we were there. Their viewpoint that Russia wanted to lower their cold war stance but I'm sure once Russian weapons reached the North Vietnamese, the USA was not going to allow for any of a reduction in the cold war tension.

Can't wait to watch more.

Yachter Yat

Actually, that all started with Truman after WW2.   The French were crying in their Champagne.  The Japanese had kicked them out and they wanted their Colony back.  Problem is they had come to learn that they couldn't do it alone. All the people of Vietnam wanted was to finally be independent.  We should have told the French to take a hike.  Maybe someday we'll learn to stop sticking our nose where it doesn't belong. 

Yat
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

StreamFixer

Yat

And why did we help the French in the late '40's,  The reasons are not related to nationalism...  All that is necessary to explain our involvement in any conflict since WW2 is to FOLLOW THE MONEY, and now I am getting on the edge of the verboten area of politics.

Ken Burns production is well worth watching as well as being instructive.  Of course he has an agenda in this work so I would recommend we each do further investigation/research into the matter before becoming settled in our understanding of the why's and wherefores...

At this point, let's curtail further thread discussion and call the matter closed. 

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade

Yachter Yat

Yeah.........Danno..........cut it out!  :jester:

Yat
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Danno

Quote from: Yachter Yat on September 27, 2017, 08:35:30 AM
   Yeah.........Danno..........cut it out!  :jester:

Yat

Yes, I know!  I did not comment on Kennedy and Johnson to be political. I was only 8 in 1965 so I was clueless to these events when it started. Even when I graduated high school in 1975, I wasn't really paying attention. Both of my older brothers had high draft numbers so they were not talking much about it. They graduated in '70 and '72.

Markshoreline

In the late 60's I lived in a military community off base and was required to take "Americanism vs. Communism" in high school.  Pretty much a study of the domino theory and how communism will take over the world if we didn't stop it then and there.  We couldn't stop them but they didn't take over...

StreamFixer

I was a bit more involved.  As a radioman, I deciphered the action message launching the first attack missions across the DMZ, Aug 4, 1964 -- USS Ticonderoga

And yes, I am really that old... :hoboy:

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade

Markshoreline

That was my birthday!!!  I was 12... 

Salmon King

I tried watching a similar series to this once several years ago.
I ended up back in therapy because it reinitiated my flashbacks.
I have trouble watching any war movies ever since I came home from Vietnam.
Seems like just when I go a couple of years with only a minor occurrence or two something triggers them again.

PLEASE...Fly your flag Proudly, and remember to thank a Vet!
2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

jamaica

Quote from: Salmon King on September 27, 2017, 07:58:59 PM
I tried watching a similar series to this once several years ago.
I ended up back in therapy because it reinitiated my flashbacks.
I have trouble watching any war movies ever since I came home from Vietnam.
Seems like just when I go a couple of years with only a minor occurrence or two something triggers them again.
Thanks for your service, I'm glad you're with us.
1994 19' Sea Ranger 150hp Merc 2stk 9.9hp Yam

GregE

SF, Let this thread run

67- 69;  70- 71

G

Greg

Yachter Yat

Greg;   Thank  you and.......thank you.   BTW, an old acquaintance of mine spent 2 tours over there flying choppers.  When he got back this is what he said:   "I must have been out of my  'effing' mind."  You must surely have an idea of how he felt. 

Yat
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)