News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Heat

Started by Sean, September 19, 2017, 07:26:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sean

What's the best way to heat 19ft ranger (canvass top) for the wife? I'm thinking electric will draw slot from the batteries, but propane will emit CO2. Wondering what others do?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

lloyds

wallas 1300 forced air. 

1997 sea explorer

Chief of the Boat

Tom Mac

1991 Sea Ranger 17, 2014 F90 Yamaha, 2008 T8 Yamaha

Fishin Machine

DDT
2003 19' Sea Ranger

Markshoreline

Little Buddy costs about $100 and uses disposable propane bottles or you can attach an adapter hose and use a 5 gallon refillable tank. There's quite a bit of air loss with the canvas and even in Alaskan Hard Tops so it stays warm, but the downside is there can be fogging of the windows if not enough ventilation.
If you go with a Little Buddy you'll need to disassemble the unit and rewire so the tip switch is no longer in the system.  The boat pitching will shut off the unit because it thinks it tipped over.  It works well to mount two screws into the cuddy door to keep the Buddy on it's feet.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Sean

Quote from: Fishin Machine on September 19, 2017, 08:56:36 PM
Jacket?

FM
Ha! That was my first answer.

Sean

Quote from: Markshoreline on September 19, 2017, 11:32:42 PM
Little Buddy costs about $100 and uses disposable propane bottles or you can attach an adapter hose and use a 5 gallon refillable tank. There's quite a bit of air loss with the canvas and even in Alaskan Hard Tops so it stays warm, but the downside is there can be fogging of the windows if not enough ventilation.
If you go with a Little Buddy you'll need to disassemble the unit and rewire so the tip switch is no longer in the system.  The boat pitching will shut off the unit because it thinks it tipped over.  It works well to mount two screws into the cuddy door to keep the Buddy on it's feet.
Thank you!

gfakkema

Just remember that any heater that uses hydrocarbons is going to emit CO, CO2 AND H2O. The CO/CO2 could be deadly, but the H2O is going to fog up windows and cause condensation in the cabin unless you have a way to vent the exhaust. This is especially important in pilot house designs. Just something to keep in mind. The best route IMO, is to get a forced air unit that is exhausted out of the cabin. The downside is those units are pricey.
2001 22' Sea Legend HT w/Alaskan Bulkhead
2006 Suzuki DF250 / 2004 Mercury 9.9

GregE

Carbon Monoxide = CO, colorless, odorless heavier than air

CO2 is also but it doesn't override O2 in your body

As mentioned, a rag top is not air tight and with a little ventilation opening you'll be fine.

Buddy heaters come in many sizes,  I bought one last year that is the same as one I already had.....  Still in the box if someone needs it.
Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

Markshoreline

gfakkema is correct, a forced air model is much more desirable and avoids the fogging and risk of fumes.  Also was correct about the cost and then there's the challenge of finding how to plumb and fit it in a small boat.  One of our members ak-angler added a Webasto heater to his 17 because he wanted to stay warm when going hunting in Alaska by boat.  His write up is here but unfortunately the pics have not survived.
http://www.arimaowners.com/index.php?topic=8097.msg92664#msg92664
If I was going to spend as much time as AK does in my boat in the Alaskan winter I'd do that job.  For around here, on the infrequent occasions when the wife wants a little heat I just use the Buddy and vent the cabin.

darci

12V heated seat cushions.

Sparhawk

I am happy with my little electric space heater. Heats up my 15x15 office in maybe 15 minutes. Comes on once every 20 minutes for about 20 seconds to keep it at temperature. I will post the make and model later. Can't remember off the top of my head.
"God put me on this Earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Right now I am so far behind I will never die" - Calvin and Hobbes

Sparhawk:
1983 Tiderunner 150 Cuddy
1991 Mercury 60 2-stroke

Tunacious

I have put myself through trying to find a good heater option for my boat several times and always gave up because the options were just not what I was looking for.
Last week I stopped at a garage sale and found this little item for $5.00 
I haven't had the time to research it yet to see if it is something that would work but for $5.00 I couldn't pass it up.

I have never seen one before and I'm not sure Coleman still makes them like this.

Its a Coleman adjustable catalytic heater that runs on coleman fuel.

Its adjustable from 3,000 to 5,000 BTU.

This item looks old but has never been used.

The manual and warranty information has graphics that I would guess is from the sixties.

Honestly I'm not sure yet what a catalytic heater would be like in a boat or if its even safe.

The directions do say to keep the area vented.

I'm sure there are other catalytic heaters sold today that are more updated.

Just couldn't pass it up for $5.00

Interested in what others say about catalytic heaters.

croaker stroker

Great buy. That thing looks unused ! Like brand new.

I have used those catalytic heaters many times while camping. Not sure about the safety on a boat ??? 

You fill the tank with "white gas" (flammable and explosive) with a little aluminum funnel (provided in the box) turn the heater upside down to wet the head. Then light it and stand back. You will get a good sized flame until the element gets hot enough to glow. You put the heater out with the aluminum bowl shaped thing over the head.

There is actually a "Coleman Collectors Forum".    http://www.colemancollectorsforum.com/post?How-To-Clean-Coleman-Catalytic-Heater-Heads-5042178
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

ATGEP

I have a forced air diesel heater and couldn't be happier. It was a lot of $ to get it setup but it is safe, and produces any amount of dry heat I want .  I am looking forward to winter blackmouth and halibut already.

Hydro-Therapy

Buddy heaters are now on sale at Bi Mart for $70.
Fish forever Work whenever !!!!!
"89" 19SR Keith 115 Merc. 15 4s kicker W/trollmaster Raymarine A70D

Salmon King

I still have my catalytic heater.
I used it every Winter on my last boat (1959 Skagit Offshore 20'er).
Worked like a charm. 
On the plus side you can wrap a piece of sheet metal around the outside and up about 4" above the top of the doe.put on a pot of hot water for fresh hot drinks or soup.

I have a Big Buddy heater now but I just may go back to using my Coleman at some point...🤷🏻‍♂️
PLEASE...Fly your flag Proudly, and remember to thank a Vet!
2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

Markshoreline

I think the Coleman and Buddy heaters have the same flame and risk, just different fuel sources.

Hunter

We don't have the SL22 anymore although it did have a Wallas kerosene heater with offboard ventilation.   On the replacement tin can we have an Espar D4 diesel unit that is the cats pajamas.   Not only does the vented system NOT create moisture......but it actually dries the air.   They are "spensive" but  nice to have and super efficient.    My guess is that we have about 20 hours on our heater so far and it's used less than a gallon of diesel out of the 2.5 gallon tank.    We also have the adjustable louvered heater vents placed up on the dash so they serve double duty as a heater and a windshield defroster.   We're actually really looking forward to this winter....blackmouth, clams, oysters and winter crab.   

On a cold day I can climb aboard and turn the heater on as soon as I get to the ramp and then by the time I get the straps off, launched, truck parked and back the boat...the cabin is warming up nicely and the windshields are defogged.   

2001 Sea Legend 22 (Gone But Not Forgotten)
2017 Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220 ET-HT - Honda BF250 & Honda 9.9 Power Thrust
All Garmin Electronics

"ALWAYS QUESTION AUTHORITY!!"

Salmon King

Quote from: Markshoreline on October 01, 2017, 09:52:31 PM
I think the Coleman and Buddy heaters have the same flame and risk, just different fuel sources.

Actually no they don't...
You really want to start the Coleman before you leave shore as it puts out a pretty good flame for about 15 min. and the breezes will blow it around quite a bit before the glow of the dome takes over.
Also...it will not go out if you tip it over.  Just continues to burn...could be a disaster if you don't notice it.
But...it would take one hell of a wave to rock the boat that much!
PLEASE...Fly your flag Proudly, and remember to thank a Vet!
2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

Sparhawk

Here's some photos of the one I use. It is an InterTek Pro Fusion ceramic heater. One of the reasons I like it is that is a 2 setting heater, a 750W setting and a 1500W setting. About 120 volts. The feature I think you will like is the "auto-off" feature. Basically that little circle on the bottom is a mechanical sensor and only allows it to be turned on if the sensor is pushed in all the way. Then if you have the heater on and you get hit by a big wave and the heater tips over, it will turn off. Then when you put it back upright it will turn back on. t also allows you to select the temperature and it will heat it up to that temp then turn off, then back on when it gets about 3 degrees colder than the set temperature.
Apparently my files are too big. Here is a link to them. https://photos.app.goo.gl/MyNOCu3MxJVzAAZi2
"God put me on this Earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Right now I am so far behind I will never die" - Calvin and Hobbes

Sparhawk:
1983 Tiderunner 150 Cuddy
1991 Mercury 60 2-stroke

croaker stroker

Quote from: Salmon King on October 02, 2017, 01:32:00 PM
Quote from: Markshoreline on October 01, 2017, 09:52:31 PM

Actually no they don't...
You really want to start the Coleman before you leave shore as it puts out a pretty good flame for about 15 min. and the breezes will blow it around quite a bit before the glow of the dome takes over.
Also...it will not go out if you tip it over.  Just continues to burn...could be a disaster if you don't notice it.
But...it would take one hell of a wave to rock the boat that much!

I vote for leaving the Coleman heater at the dock.
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

gfakkema

Quote from: Hunter on October 02, 2017, 01:25:38 PM
We don't have the SL22 anymore although it did have a Wallas kerosene heater with offboard ventilation.

Still going strong too Hunter. Although not as good as your system with the window defrost venting, it does a decent job of keeping the cabin warm and dry. We don't really use the cook top, so if I had to do it again, I would definitely lean toward the webasto/espar with ducting on the dash.

Quote from: Sparhawk on October 02, 2017, 08:56:40 PM
Here's some photos of the one I use. It is an InterTek Pro Fusion ceramic heater. One of the reasons I like it is that is a 2 setting heater, a 750W setting and a 1500W setting. About 120 volts. The feature I think you will like is the "auto-off" feature. Basically that little circle on the bottom is a mechanical sensor and only allows it to be turned on if the sensor is pushed in all the way. Then if you have the heater on and you get hit by a big wave and the heater tips over, it will turn off. Then when you put it back upright it will turn back on. t also allows you to select the temperature and it will heat it up to that temp then turn off, then back on when it gets about 3 degrees colder than the set temperature.
Apparently my files are too big. Here is a link to them. https://photos.app.goo.gl/MyNOCu3MxJVzAAZi2

Are you just running this on shore power or out on the water as well? Just curious if you run this off of an inverter or not as that could drain a battery pretty quick depending on conditions. Electric heaters aren't nearly as efficient as their combustion counterparts, but you do get the benefit of a "dry" heat. That being said, I leave a small electric heater in the cabin while the boat is in the shop during the winter to get rid of any moisture and to prevent freezing. Speaking of, probably about time to bust it out.
2001 22' Sea Legend HT w/Alaskan Bulkhead
2006 Suzuki DF250 / 2004 Mercury 9.9

lloyds

markshoreline:  How did you disassemble. I couldn't see any easy way into mine?

1997 sea explorer