Author Topic: Chum Chunker --- late report  (Read 387 times)

Offline Croaker Stroker

Chum Chunker --- late report
« on: September 19, 2017, 01:39:10 PM »
I have seen these for sale online for very high prices, so I decided to utilize some of my left-over Starboard and make my own.

I have used this several times, and it works great !

This gets a thumbs up! If you are fishing for Tuna, Dorado, Shallow Water Rockfish, .....this works great for creating bite sized chunks to chum with.

You just fill it up with baitfish. Slide your knife under the "hold-down" and slice away. Then dump your chum into a bucket. Saves time and fingers.

*** after taking this photo, I added a strap on one end to hold onto while rinsing it overboard.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 01:43:42 PM by Croaker Stroker »
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"If a fish will, he will… if he won't, he won't… and that's about it… except… he may take this when he won't take that."

Offline Wiley

Re: Chum Chunker --- late report
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 05:09:06 PM »
Brilliant   :twocents:
96 sea explorer 15'-11" new 90 etec named (wutz wuzn cuzn)
10' Don Hill Pram
 Respectfully, Build, Buy, Be American

Offline top

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 12:15:34 AM »
I have seen these for sale online for very high prices, so I decided to utilize some of my left-over Starboard and make my own.

I have used this several times, and it works great !

This gets a thumbs up! If you are fishing for Tuna, Dorado, Shallow Water Rockfish, .....this works great for creating bite sized chunks to chum with.

You just fill it up with baitfish. Slide your knife under the "hold-down" and slice away. Then dump your chum into a bucket. Saves time and fingers.

*** after taking this photo, I added a strap on one end to hold onto while rinsing it overboard.

Pick a quality knife sharpener, swap it out with your handle.

Approach the sharpener manufacture and you could market together.
To protect yourself talk to a patent lawyer.

Just shoot me 2.5% of all sales for the idea.  :jester:

Bob...aka...Top   :flag:
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 02:16:21 AM by top »
Live to ride and ride to Live

Offline Yachter Yat

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 05:31:52 AM »
   Croaker, I just sent your picture to a Chinese manufacturer.  He said they'll be available at Walmart early next spring.  :stirthepot:  Okay.........I'm kidding, but the scary thing is, this could actually happen.  :bigshock:

Yat

Dear Arima:  Stretch the Hunter platform by 5. Next, stretch the Explorer by 9 and steal 2 or 3 from the cabin.  Please hurry, I'm getting old.

16 SC/Honda 60

Offline Croaker Stroker

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2017, 10:59:45 AM »
Yat,

Not my first rodeo. There is a very limited market for a product like this. One could always make a few bucks by making them in your garage. Additionally, this product already exists. Chances are, the Chinese don't want to be bothered with making it.  :shrug9: :twocents:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6EMmR1qq0t4

https://chumcutter.com

You could also use it to slice weenies into chunks for Boston Baked Beans.   :clap: :food:

CS
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 11:13:13 AM by Croaker Stroker »

"If a fish will, he will… if he won't, he won't… and that's about it… except… he may take this when he won't take that."

Offline Yachter Yat

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2017, 01:23:13 PM »
   Croaker;  Weenies in your Boston Baked Beans?...................I see your not from around here.   :jester:

Yat
Dear Arima:  Stretch the Hunter platform by 5. Next, stretch the Explorer by 9 and steal 2 or 3 from the cabin.  Please hurry, I'm getting old.

16 SC/Honda 60

Offline Croaker Stroker

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2017, 05:15:28 PM »
Yat,

You lead such a sheltered life.   :hoboy:  :jester: :arms:

Offline Markshoreline

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2017, 07:29:06 PM »
Yat probably eats Boston Baked Beans of some sort and maybe they have a no weenie rule?  :jester:

When I saw the pic of the bait slicer I thought you may just lower that device full of chopped up fish with your downrigger...
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Offline Yachter Yat

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2017, 05:54:35 AM »
    My wife is a great cook.  She makes homemade beans.  I always tell her I like my weenie on the side.  She once said she likes hers like that now and then as well. 

Read that anyway you want.  :jester:

Yat

16 SC/Honda 60

Offline Zarn

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2017, 08:29:28 PM »
Now... How about adding a "chum CHUCKER" to your "chum chunker". Find yourself an over-sized wiffel ball bat. Cut the very top off and insert a freeze foam stopper (think flotation too) about or in the handle. Load some chunks into the chucker and a flip of the wrist later you have chunk bait or IQF's flying 50-100' from the boat.  Broadcasting by hand ended about 5 years ago on my trips. Lota folks catching on to this bait broadcasting method as it is so much more efficient in producing foam. I have seem them make commercially in the past year.

Pssst... ! Don't tell my GK's....  as I just absconded with their bright yellow "little tikes" HD wiffel bat and built another chucker that now floats and has a foam cover laynard and gave it a 10-12 degree overall bend for lift.... Don't ask what happened to the 5 year old original.... last week.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 08:37:34 PM by Zarn »
87'SR, Blue Stripe/Top & ETEC 90, Honda 8, Arima owner... 11 years.

“DO NOT waste this chance to assist our nation to recover... You may never get another”.   © 2017 zarn

Offline Tj805

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2017, 09:29:47 PM »
How does the bait cutter work on squid ?
Just as well as fin bait ?
Looks really nice and well made
Should last a long time.
1987 sea ranger 17
90 hp yamaha precision blend
2014 yamaha f8

Offline Croaker Stroker

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2017, 10:27:10 AM »

I haven’t tried it on Squid yet ?  Live Squid have been absent down here.