Author Topic: Anybody ever notice...  (Read 301 times)

Offline darci

• Jack
  • 1997 SC17 2017 90e-Tec King SW 2500
  • View Gallery
Anybody ever notice...
« on: September 05, 2017, 01:03:13 PM »
  the lowest spot on our boats is the area in front of our front seats? The reason I ask is, the "lunch box", that neat little bait, ice or down rigger ball box in front of our bait boxes often has a bit of water beneath in it when the rear bilge area is dry. So if one were to cut the bottom out (of the lunch box), you would have a place to install a pump and do a nice job of gluing in a transducer, fit a new bottom, still use the box and have access to the bilge pump. Since it is the low spot...why not? Any reason a transducer and bilge pump MUST BE in the transom?
  With the Columbia Gorge Fire we are keeping indoors for a day or two. Ash on the boat, cloudy sky and the air smells like Fairbanks in December! A nice rain would be a blessing.

Offline Rokefin

Re: Anybody ever notice...
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 01:15:36 PM »
I have noticed water settling there beneath the drain hole, I have not put much thought to it but like you I also am curious of the water build up....I just figured it may have a low spot there that the water settles in.
1989 17ft Arima Sea Chaser 2010 115 Yamaha 1995 9.9 Yamaha kicker - Bodega mostly

Offline darci

• Jack
  • View Gallery
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 01:23:40 PM »
It all runs aft when under power...and on the trailer, driving without the plug gets things dry fore to aft. I use to put RV anti freeze in my bilge during the winter.

Offline Threeweight

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 02:41:22 PM »
I would not mount a transducer there.  When on plane, depending on boat trim that area may be out of good contact with the water.  The keel is also the thickest part of the fiberglass in the boat and might interfere with the signal.  Most guys who've done the glued in-thru hull cut an access hatch in the bottom of their fish box, at the rear.  Ensures they always have good water to hull contact under it, regardless of boat trim.

I stored my rod holders in that lunch box. 

I wouldn't bother with anti-freeze.  I wouldn't want the alcohol-based RV stuff sitting on the resin in the bilge all winter!
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Wild Card, Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220, Honda 225 and 9.9

“Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed.”
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Offline darci

• Jack
  • View Gallery
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 03:01:53 PM »
Had not considered glass thickness a problem, until now. Actually it would be a second transducer for a second sonar, and a second bilge pump.

Offline Threeweight

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 03:12:53 PM »
My 17 Chaser was butt heavy... when in the water, I would have 2 or 3" of water in the bilge at the very back of the boat, where the bilge pump right behind the fish box couldn't reach it.  I took some flat aluminum stock and mounted a 2nd pump to it, and used the original epoxy base for my original pump to mount it... positioned the 2nd pump way in the back by the drain plug, to get 99% of the water out.  I drilled a hole through the glass stringer right behind the fish box, and mounted my main pump there (held in place with a big zip tie).

Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Wild Card, Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220, Honda 225 and 9.9

“Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed.”
       --- Hunter S. Thompson