Author Topic: X2 Power Marine Battery  (Read 476 times)

Offline darci

• Jack
  • 1997 SC17 2017 90e-Tec King SW 2500
  • View Gallery
X2 Power Marine Battery
« on: September 05, 2017, 12:45:28 PM »
  To go with a new 90HP e-Tec...I took a hard look at the old two battery, wires, switches and assorted stuff added over the years and decided to start with a clean sheet of paper...well actually four of them with pictures of a president on them!

I bought a group 31 X2 Power marine battery from Batteries + Bulbs. I have had great service on a computer battery, three watches and I have found a marine LCD replacement bulb for every application to date.  So far So good.

Here is the pitch...

Two complete batteries in one (very heavy) battery body.
4 year replacement warranty (!)
1150 CCA and just a whole bunch (250 amp hours) storage.
   I paid more for this one battery than two AGMs, however just one port side battery, one switch to cut power to the non-motor needs and all replacement bulbs in LED makes for a nice clean install. Did I mention the 4 year warranty?

In my old setup I usually had to change one acid type battery just after the warranty expired...(I know I could have taken them back before the expiration date, but, that is not for me) Costco is a member owned company. I am a member. Just seemed wrong.

Time will tell. The new batteries do have some appeal. Great, but confusing to have so many choices.

Depending on how the boat rides..I may or may not move the battery into the Port seat box or the cabin.

Online Threeweight

Re: X2 Power Marine Battery
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 02:46:19 PM »
I went with one of their cranking batteries (series 27 size) in my tin can.  Honda recommends a minimum of 900 CCA for the big V6's, but my dealer had installed a crappy little 650 CCA series 24 Les Schwab battery.  Batteries Plus was the only place locally that had 1000 CCA series 27 cranking batteries in stock.

Works great so far, and really spins the starter on the big Honda way, way faster than the little 650 did.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Wild Card, Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220, Honda 225 and 9.9

“Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed.”
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Offline darci

• Jack
  • View Gallery
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2017, 07:31:06 PM »
Like the big 31 size so far... just tricked it full yesterday!

Offline Markshoreline

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2017, 07:53:32 PM »
2 batteries in one should be as good as two individual batteries, right?  What is the weight comparison between 1 vs. 2?
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Offline gfakkema

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2017, 09:21:38 PM »
2 batteries in one should be as good as two individual batteries, right?  What is the weight comparison between 1 vs. 2?

The X2 is LIKE having 2 batteries in one. It is not 2 batteries. Even if it were, it would still be one battery consisting of 2 jars (sorry to get technical). The spec sheet that I'm seeing for the group 31 X2 shows 1150 CCA, 100AH and weighing in at 75lbs...

This is just a pure lead AGM with a plate configuration that is capable of providing a lot of current at once. I chose to go a different route on my boat. I also chose a pure lead AGM for starting, but went with UPS (uninterruptible power supply) batteries in parallel for the house side. These are massive, pure lead batteries that provide 123 amp hours. The downside is that they are really heavy (106lbs each) and I have 2. The upside is that I have almost 250 amp hours on board for extended trips.

Long story short, no battery does it all. Most batteries still fall under the categories of starting or discharging/charging (deep cycle). Although some batteries claim to do both well, it is still best practice to have batteries that specialize in what you want them for. In darci's case (trying to lighten weight), I believe that these batteries are a good choice. I personally choose to have at least 2 batteries. Not only do you get the benefit of having batteries for each intended purpose, but you also get the redundancy of having multiple starting sources in an emergency. My  :twocents:
2001 22' Sea Legend HT w/Alaskan Bulkhead
2006 Suzuki DF250 / 2004 Mercury 9.9

Offline Markshoreline

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2017, 09:43:26 PM »
Unique approach to an old problem!
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Offline darci

• Jack
  • View Gallery
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2017, 08:46:12 AM »
Add a jump n carry...light, ready in an emergency.  Bright lantern to attach jumper cables can power any plug in appliance or an electric trolling motor. 900 CCA in case you need to jump start your main. Just take it with you if leaving the boat out of your secured area. You can even charge the unit from an accessory port in your truck or boat. Youtube it (as used to power a trolling motor in place of a battery). We really do have a bunch of new use-full tools now-a- days. I am at war with the spellchecker.

Offline Kimbrey

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2017, 08:49:02 AM »
I've read over on BD some of the guys feel going with 6v golf cart batteries wired together to make 12 volt is a good or better way to go.  I forget without doing some research what makes 12v.....series or parallel.

Kim
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 01:59:39 PM by Kimbrey »
2005 Sea Legend --Sold--replaced with 26' Duckworth

Offline gfakkema

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2017, 01:34:02 PM »
2 6 volt jars in series would give you a 12V battery. The 6V series vs 12V parallel battle will rage on. I would consider it 6 in one hand and half a dozen in the other. I could get deeper into it, but don't really have the time. It really has to do with plate surface area and configuration. I went with 2 12V jars in parallel because I work on UPS systems and get them at or below cost due to volume.
2001 22' Sea Legend HT w/Alaskan Bulkhead
2006 Suzuki DF250 / 2004 Mercury 9.9

Offline BruceL2_Fish

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2017, 05:52:14 AM »
I am also looking at replacing my batteries this year.  Mine are 5 years old now.  I currently have one starting and one deep cycle for the house battery.  This is what was in the boat when new, they are standard lead acid.  I have been looking at switching to Lifeline AGM batteries.  I was thinking of one starting battery GPL-2400T and one house Battery GPL-24T.   
The starting battery is rated at 870 CCA @68F and 790 CCA @32F.  It has a 20 hour rating of 75AH and 172 minutes @ 25 amps.
The house battery has a 80AH rating @ 20 hours. 
Does anyone have experience with these, they seem to be highly rated?  Also thoughts on having a starting and house battery like this?

Bruce
2012 Sea Ranger 19 (M. LaDeane)
Suzuki 115 Four Stroke
Honda 9.9 Kicker

Online Hydroman

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2017, 07:55:06 AM »
Bruce,
Not sure that the AGM benefits justify the added costs.  I know on my motorhome that the charger has different setting for AGM vs lead acid, not sure how you deal with it with outboard charging circuits.

I got 7 years out of my lead acid batteries on my boat with twin Suzuki DF 140's. only changed them due to age.  I did pay close attention to electrolyte level and topped off only with distilled water.

Jim

Offline milos dad

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2017, 08:31:23 AM »
I have 4, 6 volt AGM batteries in my fifth wheel trailer.  They were installed in 2012.  I like them, as non off-gassing, won't freeze, no need to check electrolyte level, no corrosion on battery terminals.  For charging, I have a Magnum charger/inverter (Everett, WA), and a setting on my solar controller for AGM.

I would love to install 2, 12 volt 24C AGM's in my cab over truck camper, as I remove them every winter to prevent freezing.

An AGM may be great in my Arima, but I remove the lead-acid batteries every fall, and leave them on a battery tender all winter.  Here in the great white north, winter fishing is not practical.

M D

Rick
87 Sea Hunter with 94 Honda 45
2009 6 hp Merc kicker

Online Threeweight

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2017, 10:53:28 AM »
I'd add that AGM's work fine with outboard alternators (and car, truck, motorcycle, etc...).  Alternators on modern engines will vary power output based on the charging state of the battery.  Old battery chargers don't do that, and that is what will kill an AGM battery.

The main benefits of AGM's is the electrolyte is held in a foam fiberglass mat (absorbed glass mat), as opposed to being liquid.  No worries about cracked cased and acid leaks, hydrogen gas building up in compartments, or vibration damaging the internal structure of the battery.  Good ones will last a bit longer than traditional flooded cell batteries.  They often have a better capacity rating than flooded cells in the same size class (probably due more to higher grade components than inherent design.)

Downside is price.  There are some less painfully expensive ones (Bi-Mart carries Exxide's "Orbital" line of AGM batteries), but top quality ones carry a top quality price.

IMO, they are a must-have for Arima's with the batteries relocated to the bow.  Not sure they make a ton of sense otherwise.  I used AGM's in my 17 after I moved the batteries, I have flooded cells in the tin can.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Wild Card, Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220, Honda 225 and 9.9

“Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed.”
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Offline BruceL2_Fish

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2017, 11:01:34 AM »
Thanks for the insights.   Maybe I will just stay with what has worked for 5 years and just replace with same. 
2012 Sea Ranger 19 (M. LaDeane)
Suzuki 115 Four Stroke
Honda 9.9 Kicker