News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Snow load

Started by milos dad, August 19, 2017, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

milos dad

For the past couple of winters I have left my boat in the garage while we were away in AZ.  This year, I am thinking of leaving my new Subaru in the garage, and the boat outside.  Rather than pay $80 per month for covered storage, I thought I could run a ridge pole from the windshield area to the transom.  My all weather trailering/storage cover is weather proof and can pull down tight with the straps that attach to the trailer.  The ridge pole (2" by 2" or 2" by 4") would have some type of bracket to hold the ridge pole up, such as a type of bracket used to make sawhorses.  Any comments, and anyone using any type of method for shedding snow?  Thanks

M D
Rick
87 Sea Hunter with 94 Honda 45
2009 6 hp Merc kicker

GregE

I did something similar on a couple boats.   A small light bulb or boat heater helps keeps mold away.

Do't get caught unprepared..
Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

milos dad

Up here in the great white north, not too much issues with dampness.  Lots of sun in the winter, and some wind and some ice.  I don't park near an electrical outlet, but rather in an open field.  I have a pole on the rear of the boat that keeps rain from pooling, but I would not want to trust it with snow load, thus thinking of a ridge pole from the windshield to the transom.  My concern is not adding weight to the windshield.

Photo attached of my cover installed

M D
Rick
2009 6 hp Merc kicker

croaker stroker

1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

steeler

I store my SH outside also.
I put a supporting pole in the middle of the deck then put on my storage cover and tie it down.
Bought a large tarp from Princess Auto and put it over the storage cover and tighten it down.
With the heavy snow this year it held up pretty well with most of the white and wet stuff sliding off.
In the past I've also used a ridge pole using white or conduit plastic from HD.
The best time to go fishing is when its raining and when it ain't

Old No7

Thanks Croaker, as I would have pointed to my post (and pix in my Gallery) too.

The snow frame -- and all the tarps -- have now weathered 7 winter seasons, and now just this year, I will replace only the outer-layer "Home Center" tarp, as the 2 heavy-duty ones that are underneath it are still in great shape.

I've saved a ton of $$ using that homemade "whale skeleton" frame.

Old No7
"A bad day on an Arima, is better than a good day at work!"

GregE

That's worth sharing Old no 7's frame picture   :applause:

More at  http://www.arimaowners.com/index.php?topic=10429.msg121111#msg121111

Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

Tom Mac

I would not rest the ridge pole on the window, the weight of the snow may crack the window. I would build a A frame and mount it on the forward deck. Just my :twocents:
1991 Sea Ranger 17, 2014 F90 Yamaha, 2008 T8 Yamaha

Yachter Yat

Tom;  + 1.  Good advice on keeping the weight off the windshield.  I would definitely pay attention to that.   

Yat
Being married, is when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

milos dad

Yes, I bought 2 sets of saw horse brackets today, and intend to extend the ridge pole over the windshield.  I am trying to protect the windshield from weight, as I agree, it probably would collapse under the weight.  Thanks for the logical thinking
Rick
2009 6 hp Merc kicker

milos dad

It was a cooler day today, and no smoke!  I have given up on fishing this year due to fires, closed roads, water bombers and skimmers picking up water, etc.  Today we fabricated my winter ridge pole, using saw horse brackets and 2 by 4 lumber, which actually originated in Oregon.  Funny, but they also grow trees here  :jester:

I am using my storage cover, as it has vents on it.  We have dry snow here and lots of winter sun.  I have it parked in an open field.  I have the ridge poles near the windshield but not touching it.  The fabric rests om the side windows, but with the angle of the trailer, snow should slide off.  Storage place wanted $80 per month and usually a 7 month storage commitment.  I had to make a decision if the Arima was outside this winter, or my new 2017 Subaru and the Subaru won out.  We will be in Arizona, so hope the cover works out ok.

Rick
2009 6 hp Merc kicker

Old No7

Not sure how much snow you expect to get there...

But especially as you'll not be close to the boat to brush off the accumulating white stuff, I'd be very concerned about snow pooling and collecting in a "pond" between the frame and gunwale just behind the windshield and possibly in front of it.  That's just what I had experienced on my old 15-footer (pre Arima).  And if it rains on top of some snow, the weight load can be 5X what you'd expect...

So I'd suggest that you raise the center ridge pole by 3 feet at its highest point, plus extend the rear to the top of the outboard too (padded by carpet pieces, tied securely to both sides so it can't wander), and then add some 2x3 "ribs" down both sides from the ridge pole to the gunwale (behind and in front of the windshield, every 2 feet or so), thus allowing all the snow to easily slide down the 35-45 degree slopes that your higher frame will create.  Of course, you can't use your storage cover for this...  A couple of heavy tarps would work though.

I admire your efforts, I do; but if that style cover was used here in New England, you'd probably get a boatload of snow, possibly a damaged window * (from the weight of all the snow & rain on the cover) and most likely a torn cover out of it.

... * That's how I learned a hard lesson about the combined snow + rain weight -- as it cracked the side windshield of my old 4Winns.  Only once though... Every other boat since then has suffered no damage.

By the way...

I am not a pessimist either... Just an "Optimist with a lot of experience" at covering boats for heavy snow loads.

Good luck whatever you do.

Old No7
"A bad day on an Arima, is better than a good day at work!"