Author Topic: 89 sprinter fold down canvas  (Read 324 times)

Offline Ofishall

89 sprinter fold down canvas
« on: August 14, 2017, 10:41:19 PM »
Hello all, I'm new to Arima ownership and the site. Just bought an 89 sprinter in part because it fits in my undersized garage nicely. Problem is the canopy (which is fairly new) does not fold down over the front of the windshield as I have seen with other Arimas (making storage challanging). Rather, the top is either on or I have to take the screws out and remove it. This is inconvenient and likely not sustainable in the long run for the hardware. So two questions: 1) are all arima tops interchangeable for 15 foot models (i.e. would  a hunter's fold down top fit on the sprinter? 2) does anyone have an old set of The metal frame for the top they don't need  anymore, or know where I can buy one cheap?

Offline Ofishall

Re: 89 sprinter fold down canvas
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 11:59:52 PM »
Hey all, I'm posting an update here to let you know what I found so anyone who might run into the same has someplace to start. I spoke with Belinda at Defiance. She told me they don't make tops for their 15 foot boats anymore (Sprinters or Hunters). She said they could customs make one for around $1550. She recommend calling Cindy at Cindy at 253-564-7560 who runs an upholstery shop at Narrows Marina in Tacoma. She said she used to make all the tops for Arima. Long story short, Cindy was great, knew everything there was to know about the boat top, but basically said she couldn't work with mine because someone put an aftermarket on. She recommended I keep it until I needed a new one in a few years and then she could build a whole new one (frame and all) for around $1100. In the meantime she set me up with some suggestions and hardware to make my existing top more functional.  Not exactly the path I was hoping to walk, but it will work for now.

Offline Salmon King

• Fisherman
  • Fly your flag proudly and thank a veteran!
  • View Gallery
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 07:20:37 AM »
Ofishall

Just a thought here but could you not buy the 1" tubing (you'd only need a couple of feet total) and, using a dowel on the inside, extend your main framemember so it would allow the top to fold all the way to the base of the windshield?

Or...

If you have straps that clip on to keep tension on the rear of the top replace those with straight 1" tubing.
Then you could leave the frame in place while unsnapping the canvas from the windshield and put it all in a boot.  If you can picture what I'm saying the frame would form an arch and the canvas would always be ready to deploy yet be out of your way.

As for storage I used to just let mine fold backwards to the gunnels.
PLEASE...Fly your flag Proudly, and remember to thank a Vet!
9’ Pontoon (Bismarck)
8’ Pontoon (Hood)

Offline Ofishall

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2017, 11:06:31 PM »
Thanks for the response Salmon King. The first option you described is really what I am hoping to ultimately accompish. Unfortunately, the top is currently mounted to the side window frames rather than the more traditional below side window mounting found on Arimas. Aparently, the result is that if i make, or have made, new frames, the canvas may not fit the width of the frame, and the side curtains would need to be rebuilt to fit inside the frame rather than outside. It sounds like the cost for that is pushing close enough to a new setup that I should wait until I need one.

The second option you describe is pretty much exactly what I'm running for now. There are a number of things I don't love about that setup, probably the most annoying being that the arch you described is not very conveniently placed for manuvering nets, and poles. That said, while it would be nice to be wide open when its not needed, this is the same obstruction i face anytime the top is up, so its really not that big of a deal.