Author Topic: Sea Legend 22 Projects  (Read 231 times)

Online GregE

Sea Legend 22 Projects
« on: August 04, 2017, 11:16:40 AM »
Rip Van Winkle alert.....  This may take a looong time.  Some things are planned for the winter and lots of things like fishing, hunting and travel have priority.

The Sea Legend had a lot of custom touches but Safety is # 1 and the older VHF did not have the Distress Digital Selective Call system so......  it will stay in the skip top for now and I bought an ICom M506 that has DSC, integrated AIS receiver, two way hailer and good reviews on The Hull Truth electronics section.  Placement was a challenge as I need to be able to see the buttons and the AIS display (even thought it will network to the MFD ) and there was just enough space above the gauges to fit it in-dash.

I was planning to relocate the large Richie mag compass to the dash center so that was pulled and the drill and jig saw came out after peeling the fuzzy backing off the interior and removing the shelves behind the instrument panel.  It took a little work with the rasp to get it to slide in.  I got the in-dash mounting kit to keep it secure and now need to route and connect wires, NMEA and antennae lead.

Still waiting to get the plotter/ FF but am looking hard at the Garmin GPS Map 942 XS ( CHIRP down-vu ).  The existing plotter is Map only,  The Fishfinder is at the port helm station.  I'd like to put another 10" in there but that's $800 more...

Added a Before pic
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 11:46:46 AM by GregE »
Greg
Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT; SL 22 Honda 225
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:  Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat;
SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

Online Diablo

Re: Sea Legend 22 Projects
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2017, 01:57:09 PM »
That's a great radio we have that on the big boat. They are spendy but I think worth it. I have the lowrance link 8 on the Arima and my biggest complaint is the size of AIS targets which get much bigger as you zoom out. The icom has nice size AIS targets and they change color when they are within a set range or collision course. You don't need to see the AIS data on the radio. All that information will be on your chart plotter if you select a target via the NMEA 2000 connection.
I would advise getting the 10" or bigger display. There is so much information that a modern chart plotter/ fish finder can display you need the extra screen space. It's so easy to spend other people's money.
You did a really nice installation Greg. Now you need the haller so you can use the auto fog horn function. More money.
 :beerchug:
'98 19SR  '15 E Tec 115, '10 Honda 8
'88 17SR  '90 Johnson 90, Honda 8, SOLD

Offline Chief of the Boat

1994 Sea Explorer 1511 loves whitecaps 2010 Yamaha F-70 2012 Yamaha F-8 with a  Fixed SaltBoss Bracket Lowrance HDS-5 & 7 Gen 2 Standard Horizon Fixed VHF 2150 with AIS

Offline Markshoreline

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2017, 10:21:53 PM »
Very clean install!  Don't you hate cutting out the dash, though??? :jester:
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Offline HemiGTX

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2017, 07:37:03 AM »
Nice job, GregE.  Perfect place for that radio.  I'm very interested to see what you do regarding a bait tank.  Several times I've caught myself scheming about mounting one in my little SR19, but each time I eventually come to my senses (so far).
AKA: "The guy who fishes with Nicole"