Author Topic: Started work on the 88 SR 17  (Read 949 times)

Offline SB Steve

Started work on the 88 SR 17
« on: July 30, 2017, 05:47:24 PM »
Was finally able to spend a few hours going through my new to me, old SR 17.  Not finding a lot wrong.  The boat is really clean, and I already took care of most of the minor stuff already.  I have 4 questions I was hoping to lump into one thread.  Mostly cosmetic stuff.

1.  The dash vinyl:  some has been removed already, some is peeling up. Some of it is going to peel off real clean.  Some maybe not.  I have gone through some old threads regarding removal of dash vinyl.  Lacquer thinner has been recommended to remove leftover adhesive.  Any consensus of advice for removal would be appreciated.  I am not planning on replacing it.  Not much in the way of holes that will need to be covered up.  I like the look of a white dash.  I plan to use a razor to cut around the dials, they are not going anywhere soon.  The only imminent additions are going to be a new GPS/Sounder and compass.

2.  Bimini top:  The frame and straps are in good condition.  As well as the sides and drop.  The bimini itself is weathered and the eisenglass front is cloudy and has a stain.  It might be worthwhile cleaning the bimini (fortunately it is white).  Is there anything that can be done to rehab old eisenglass?  Otherwise I am looking at replacement.  Can I get one direct from Defiance?  or do I need to have a new one custom made?  or maybe a 3rd party makes them for Arimas.

3.  The cabin door top hatch is the only thing that isn't looking great  All the rest of the panels/bulkheads etc. look good to very good.  I am assuming a starboard replacement from Defiance is the best way to go.  Not really looking to rehab it.  Probably going to go all starboard anyways over time.

4.  Need a new Anchor.  Not really a cosmetic question, but a new anchor will look cool on the bow roller.  The Anchor and rode it came with are junk.  I was thinking of a Lewmar 11 lb. claw anchor.  Any advice on anchor type, weight, chain, rope etc. would be appreciated, in particular from any coastal California boaters.

Thank you in advance for any advice!  Again, hope it is ok to lump these 4 questions into one thread.   
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 08:25:48 PM by SB Steve »

Offline La-Z-Buoy

Re: Started work on the 88 SR 17
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 08:28:50 AM »
Hi Steve,

1. Only thing to contribute here is I used acetone when removing the glue from the stripe that I removed from my 17.

2. Canvas: generally canvas work will be done by someone close to you. A good outfit will need the boat for fitment. Factory canvas is still made for each boat while it's at the factory. Folks close to the factory will take their boats to them. Not really an option for you.

3. Almost the same issue as canvas here. But you might check anyway. I don't recall anyone here ordering pieces from Defiance to be shipped. Considering factory markup a lot of guys just procured the starboard and used their old pieces as template's and made their own.

4. Sorry, not much help here.

Good luck making your "new to you" boat yours. It's a rewarding feeling when it's done.
Richard

1991 19' Sea Ranger HT
DF 140 Suzuki, Honda 8

Offline SB Steve

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 04:13:52 PM »
Hi Steve,

1. Only thing to contribute here is I used acetone when removing the glue from the stripe that I removed from my 17.

2. Canvas: generally canvas work will be done by someone close to you. A good outfit will need the boat for fitment. Factory canvas is still made for each boat while it's at the factory. Folks close to the factory will take their boats to them. Not really an option for you.

3. Almost the same issue as canvas here. But you might check anyway. I don't recall anyone here ordering pieces from Defiance to be shipped. Considering factory markup a lot of guys just procured the starboard and used their old pieces as template's and made their own.

4. Sorry, not much help here.

Good luck making your "new to you" boat yours. It's a rewarding feeling when it's done.

Thanks for the input Richard!

1.  So I will put acetone down as a possibility for removing the vinyl and glue along with lacquer thinner.  I want to use whichever will least damage the gelcoat.  I am assuming I will wash and wax the area afterward.

2.  Yeah I assumed I would have to have the canvas made locally...now need to research a good canvas maker in the general area.

3.  I figured since Defiance has starboard replacements for all the other wood components, they would be able to make me a new hatch.  Their website says if you send them the original piece they can make a replacement.  The hatch is one of the only exterior pieces not listed in the on-line store.

4.  Still hoping to get some input from some California 17 owners before I buy an anchor.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 05:09:26 PM by SB Steve »

Offline BK1983

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2017, 03:11:03 PM »
If you go on west marines website they have a link that helps you pick the best anchor for your boat and conditions you use it in.
We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time. T.S. Eliot
1999 Sea Ranger 19 HT,  Honda 90,  Honda 9.9

Offline SB Steve

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2017, 04:03:39 PM »
If you go on west marines website they have a link that helps you pick the best anchor for your boat and conditions you use it in.

Thanks Jack!  Yeah I did that on West Marine.  They suggested the Lewmar Claw but only the 4.5 pounder.  I thought that seemed a little light, so I was thinking about going one size up to the 11 pounder.  I was just looking for confirmation from any 17 owners.  Thanks for the input!!

Still hoping to get some suggestions about removing the vinyl too.  I am going to tackle that project next week.

Cheers!!

Offline AJFishin

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2017, 04:32:36 PM »
Regarding your #1 question.
What I have done in the pass and it has worked really good for me is, I would first use a hair dryer to heat up the decal and then used a plastic scraper to peel it off. Not scrapping the the boat itself to hard, mainly just pushing the decal up and towards the decal, helping it peel off.
Then I would come back with a product named "Goo Gone" to clean up and remove the residue left behind from the old sticker/decal. It has work pretty good for me and it didn't harm my gel coat at all. Sometimes you need to use a little elbow grease, but still it comes off.
I will be removing my blue strip around my boat here soon, and I will be using this method again.

The 2 Goo Gone products that I think are good are : Goo Gone Sticker Lifter and the original Goo Gone Safe Surface.

Also I can ask my friend this weekend, he's on vacation now, but he owns a business that puts decals on city and government vehicles. I can see what he suggest for removal as well.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 04:55:14 PM by AJFishin »
'96 Sea Chaser 16 - Yamaha 70HP - 2 smoke

! Go Kings Go !

Online Croaker Stroker

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2017, 05:11:01 PM »

Thanks Jack!  Yeah I did that on West Marine.  They suggested the Lewmar Claw but only the 4.5 pounder.  I thought that seemed a little light, so I was thinking about going one size up to the 11 pounder.  I was just looking for confirmation from any 17 owners.  Thanks for the input!!

Still hoping to get some suggestions about removing the vinyl too.  I am going to tackle that project next week.

Cheers!!

I have the 11 lb claw. Might be overkill ??  With 10 feet of chain, it's pretty heavy. It does stick though. I would like to try the 4.5 lb.  I got mine on EBAY brand new for $20. Free shipping.  Hard to believe how they can do it.  :shrug9:
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"If a fish will, he will… if he won't, he won't… and that's about it… except… he may take this when he won't take that."

Offline GregE

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2017, 07:31:59 PM »
Check out the 3M destripping wheel.  Fits in your drill and does a good job removing without burning the gelcoat

Do a search, several have written about it.
Greg
Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT; SL 22 Honda 225
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:  Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat;
SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

Offline SB Steve

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2017, 08:17:46 PM »

I have the 11 lb claw. Might be overkill ??  With 10 feet of chain, it's pretty heavy. It does stick though. I would like to try the 4.5 lb.  I got mine on EBAY brand new for $20. Free shipping.  Hard to believe how they can do it.  :shrug9:

Hey CS,

Good to hear from someone in Cali with a 17.  I think I am going to go with the 11 too and probably 15 feet of chain.  It might be a little bit of a drag when I just want to anchor up next to a kelp bed, but I like something that sticks when you need it.  I looked on ebay...none offered for 20 bucks. :smile1:   Guess I am forking out 65 at West Marine.

Looked at a couple pictures of your Pacer.  The starboard replacement looks amazing!

Offline SB Steve

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2017, 08:25:31 PM »
Check out the 3M destripping wheel.  Fits in your drill and does a good job removing without burning the gelcoat

Do a search, several have written about it.

Thanks Greg, I am going to check out those threads.  Started peeling off the vinyl today, and it is coming off pretty clean.  Just a little residue thus far and some subtle tan lines.  Going to use an X-acto knife to go around the dials and get that section off next.

Offline SB Steve

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2017, 08:40:27 PM »
Regarding your #1 question.
What I have done in the pass and it has worked really good for me is, I would first use a hair dryer to heat up the decal and then used a plastic scraper to peel it off. Not scrapping the the boat itself to hard, mainly just pushing the decal up and towards the decal, helping it peel off.
Then I would come back with a product named "Goo Gone" to clean up and remove the residue left behind from the old sticker/decal. It has work pretty good for me and it didn't harm my gel coat at all. Sometimes you need to use a little elbow grease, but still it comes off.
I will be removing my blue strip around my boat here soon, and I will be using this method again.

The 2 Goo Gone products that I think are good are : Goo Gone Sticker Lifter and the original Goo Gone Safe Surface.

Also I can ask my friend this weekend, he's on vacation now, but he owns a business that puts decals on city and government vehicles. I can see what he suggest for removal as well.

That is some great advice AJ.  I am going to check that product out.  I also have remnants of an old Arima safety sticker I need to remove.  (Which I wouldn't mind replacing for cool factor!).  I think I am lucking out, it is coming off really easy.  I am not sure if it is this unusual California humidity, but I will take it!  There might only be only one rough section where the vinyl might have been re-glued at one point.

Cheers!     

Offline AJFishin

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2017, 08:32:37 AM »
I just wanted to add to this, and it does sound like the unusual humidity might have help out some.
Because when I was talking with my friend last weekend about removing stickers/decals, he said the best thing to use, in his opinion, is one of those steamer machines. He said with the machine it only gets up to 180 degrees so it doesn't damage the gel coat or paint. It also loosen up the sticker, but keeps it whole, to easily lift up and off.
Figure i post this for some added information.
'96 Sea Chaser 16 - Yamaha 70HP - 2 smoke

! Go Kings Go !

Offline SB Steve

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2017, 04:45:19 PM »
I just wanted to add to this, and it does sound like the unusual humidity might have help out some.
Because when I was talking with my friend last weekend about removing stickers/decals, he said the best thing to use, in his opinion, is one of those steamer machines. He said with the machine it only gets up to 180 degrees so it doesn't damage the gel coat or paint. It also loosen up the sticker, but keeps it whole, to easily lift up and off.
Figure i post this for some added information.

Thanks again AJ!  I will take all the advice I can get.  The humidity has helped.  I already have all the vinyl off.  It looks really cool all white.  Just going to finish cleaning it up this weekend, then wash and wax.  I still have a couple stickers to remove, and I have a steamer.  I think I will give that method a go.    I will post a picture of the dash after it is all cleaned up and I mount my new sonar/chartplotter. 

I have had almost no time to work on the boat.  It is in good shape, but I am finding a lot of little stuff to fix still.  At least I finished going through everything from stem to stern.  I really need to clean  out under the transom and tank, it is a little bit messy down there.  I also found some kind of fluid leak in my kicker when I tilt it up all the way.  Will have to post more details after I have a look at it....it was getting dark last night when I discovered it.

Other than that, just waiting for a couple missing pieces of safety equipment to come in this week, and I am good to go.  Plan on doing the finishing touches on Sunday and taking it out next weekend.

Offline SB Steve

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2017, 06:13:00 PM »
  Finally finished up the dash work today.  I am really satisfied with the outcome, it looks great.  The main product I ended up using was elbow grease followed by a wax.

Before Picture:

After Pictures:

Still have a stubborn sticker to remove...elbow grease and goo off did nothing.  I will post a pic...it was the old Arima safe capacity sticker I believe.  I would love to replace it.  Also got a new Garmin Sonar/Chartplotter.  It is going to fit nice.  It will obscure some of the dials, but I think that is somewhat common with Arimas considering the dash design.  Still have to get a replacement compass, and I definitely am working toward getting a nice switch panel.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 06:20:00 PM by SB Steve »

Offline ATGEP

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2017, 08:12:04 PM »

Hey CS,

Good to hear from someone in Cali with a 17.  I think I am going to go with the 11 too and probably 15 feet of chain.  It might be a little bit of a drag when I just want to anchor up next to a kelp bed, but I like something that sticks when you need it.  I looked on ebay...none offered for 20 bucks. :smile1:   Guess I am forking out 65 at West Marine.

Have a look on Amazon for the claw anchor. Off brand for $30 and Lewmar for $45. 

Offline Yachter Yat

« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2017, 05:47:46 AM »
   Steve;  Are you sure you don't want to replace that black contact vinyl?  Seems to me the sun reflecting off the top of that dash might become a little annoying.  You might want to consider replacing just the pieces on the flat surfaces immediately below the windshield.  I suppose first trip out on a bright sunny day will help you decide.  I'd have to look back, but I thought Arima offered a vinyl kit for these boats.

Yat
Dear Arima:  Please "square-off" the Hunter transom.  Make it like my old 77 Silverline.  Thank you.  Oh yeah...please hurry; I'm getting old.

16 SC/Honda 60

Offline SB Steve

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2017, 06:49:39 PM »

Hey CS,

Have a look on Amazon for the claw anchor. Off brand for $30 and Lewmar for $45.

Cheers AT!  I just ordered one, and it saved me 20 bucks off West Marine...and I had a left over Amazon gift card for Xmas, so I kind of got it for free.

:beerchug:

Offline SB Steve

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2017, 07:13:07 PM »
   Steve;  Are you sure you don't want to replace that black contact vinyl?  Seems to me the sun reflecting off the top of that dash might become a little annoying.  You might want to consider replacing just the pieces on the flat surfaces immediately below the windshield.  I suppose first trip out on a bright sunny day will help you decide.  I'd have to look back, but I thought Arima offered a vinyl kit for these boats.

Yat

Not totally sure.  Like you said, see how goes on sunny days.  For now I really like the clean look of the dash.  I like the option of only replacing some of the top pieces if necessary.  I checked to see they have the kits for sale on Defiance before I ripped it all out. 

So my new Garmin will obscure some of the dials, but I can still see them when needed.  It seems a lot of Arimas have some of the dials obscured by electronics. 

Here is where I am thinking about installing it:

Offline SB Steve

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2017, 03:50:12 PM »
Thank you all for the assistance thus far!!  :beerchug:

I have made a lot of purchase over the last couple of weeks.  From Amazon and West Marine (taking advantage of the Labor Day Sale)

I have everything I need for the moment rounding out what I need for safety and operation.

I purchased a flare kit in a hard case, a marine jumper box, 11lb. Lewmar claw with 20' of chain and 150' of rope, a new 3 gallon remote tank for the kicker, new GPS/Chartplotter, compass and a lot of assorted odds and ends I needed or needed replacing.

Looking good for labor day weekend!  Thank you!!  :applause:

Online Tj805

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2017, 08:07:22 PM »
Nice work sb Steve.
I heard there's some yellows out at the island.
Might be time to go have a look around.
2000 sea chaser 19
Honda 130
2014 yamaha f8

Offline beancounter

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2017, 04:20:00 AM »
You are doing good. I always use a razor to get stickers off and goo off removes the residue with some love from the razor. Very important with that old boat pull your tank and clean the bilge. Probably your fuel fill hose,vent hose and lines to your water separator need replacing unless some one did it before. Check /replace your bilge pump and make sure your bilge hose hasn't been crushed by the gas tank. Muy importante to have a clean bilge with a good working pump in these non-self bailing boats. Have fun. oh almost forgot check for cruddy non sealed wire connections in your bilge while you have the tank out.

Offline SB Steve

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2017, 04:35:11 PM »
Nice work sb Steve.
I heard there's some yellows out at the island.
Might be time to go have a look around.
Cheers TJ.  :beerchug:

I heard about the yellows too.  Unfortunately I am in for a couple weeks of working out any bugs before I think about a Channel crossing.  Saw a 16 Chaser in SB Harbor launch ramp yesterday, I have only seen 2 or 3 Arimas around SB so far.  Where are you at in the 805?  It is a big Area code...Monterey to Ventura.  (for the moment!...I know we are getting a new area code in our area.)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 05:18:18 PM by SB Steve »

Offline SB Steve

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2017, 05:01:06 PM »
You are doing good. I always use a razor to get stickers off and goo off removes the residue with some love from the razor. Very important with that old boat pull your tank and clean the bilge. Probably your fuel fill hose,vent hose and lines to your water separator need replacing unless some one did it before. Check /replace your bilge pump and make sure your bilge hose hasn't been crushed by the gas tank. Muy importante to have a clean bilge with a good working pump in these non-self bailing boats. Have fun. oh almost forgot check for cruddy non sealed wire connections in your bilge while you have the tank out.
  Yes!  That is my next project after putting a few hours on the motors.  I am going to be keeping the amount of fuel I put in the main low, as I plan on pulling the tank soon.  I have thoroughly inspected under the transom, and although I have some electrical spaghetti, all the connections look sound...nothing shady.  I also checked all the bilge and drain hoses and fittings.  All look good, although some should be updated.  Bilge pump works fine, and I have tested it.  It is not an auto pump however and it does not have a float switch so it will be replaced.  Found a nice bonus under there however.  I have a through hull in the bottom of the transom that is hooked up to a second pump.  Fittings look good, and although the pump isn't hooked up, it works fine when I gave it some juice.  It has a nice valve hooked up to it too.  It will be a good start to an eventual bait tank project.  I rate my bilge a Medium ooky.  I have flushed out all the loose sediment, but the main reason I want to pull the tank is to flush it out real good and redo some of the plumbing under there.  Clean bilge, happy boat!!