News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Hull has small "soft" spot

Started by ArimaBob, July 30, 2017, 04:49:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArimaBob

H Guys! This is my first post here, but after only recently discovering Arima Boats, I am so glad to have found this forum!

I am currently in the market for a 17-19' ranger or Chaser, and have located one that I am very interested in. It is a 1989 17' Sea Ranger w/ a running 1994 mercury. Outboard seems ok, hadn't run for 4 years, the old guy who owns it hasnt even looked at it, yet I was able to start it with very little effort. Ran great, but backfired a little when revving (dirty carbs?) and did clunk a bit when shifting gears.

I'm not overly concerned with the outboard, as I plan to repower it asap. During my inspection, I noticed that even though the hull looked mint (it literally only has one scrape from beaching), I was tapping all over with my mallet and noticed a small area, about 4sqft, that sounded soft. It is near the keel about midship, and it appears that the glass has delaminated from the core. It is right near a roller, and there is no indent or sagging that would indicate a rotten core, but I guess I'm wondering how big of a concern this should be. I am in love with this boat, but am very wary about buying a lemon due to infatuation lol. I would like to think that there is another reason for this to happen besides rot, but can't seem to find anything online to help make a decision as to how to proceed.

They were initially asking $11,000 but after the motor didn't start at initial inspection, I got them down to $8500 in "as is" condition. I went back today, and discovered the soft area on the hull. I told them I would be in touch, but am unsure how to proceed. I am thinking that I might still be in good shape if I can get it for $7000, but that is only because I'm hoping it's not rotten...

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I have $10k CAD to spend and this seems like the model of boat I want...just not sure if this one in particular is a good buy.

Mitch

SB Steve

Hey Mitch.

I am new here too.  I just bought my first Arima last weekend.  A 1988 SR 17 with original 88 Mercury 90 and a little newer Mercury 8 kicker.  Both motors start and run great.  Boat is also really clean with no issues with the hull or decks.  Not even a mark really.  Again I am new member/owner, so you will probably get better advice from the experts.  For comparison however, I paid less than 8.

Good luck!

ArimaBob

Thanks Steve! I appreciate the info. It appears that they are going for a bit more up here than down there, but once we factor for conversion,  I guess it works out about the same. It's just a shame about the additional cost of getting one across the border, otherwise I'd be jumping on one of the good ones down there.

Congrats on the new boat! I hope to be joining the fold of "Arima owner" very soon.

StreamFixer

I recommend you find a local fiberglass professional to check out that area.  Delaminating glass will be a tough one to deal with.  The folks at Defiance (Don if you can get hold of him) will be able to advise you best.  Send your question to Belinda or Chief of the Boat, both of whom have good access to Don.

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

croaker stroker

2nd SF's suggestion.

Could be a bad repair.  :shrug9:

Does your gut tell you he was already aware of the problem ?
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

StreamFixer

'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade

tsuribaka

If dried completely separation of core from facesheet can be cured by injecting resin materials through a small hole. If the area is accessible from the bilge side they could do it without exterior holes but even if they had to go in from the outside they can seal and fair so you'd hardly know unless you knew where to look.

It does add weight compared to the as designed condition but other than that and the cost little downside to my understanding.

As recommended by others Defiance will have the best knowledge of this specific model and boat if that's a reasonable option for your location.

Tom Mac

Mitch, where in Canada are you?
1991 Sea Ranger 17, 2014 F90 Yamaha, 2008 T8 Yamaha

GregE

Quote from: StreamFixer on July 31, 2017, 11:31:07 AM
I'd be looking at this one rather than taking the chance...

http://www.arimaowners.com/index.php?topic=14017.0;topicseen

StreamFixer

Good Grief yes- that's a bargain and from a guy who obviously knows Arimas. 
Lowrance 9 and radar are $2 K at least.  Worth the drive to California.  I'd run that 115 for a while too.

Check out the photo album
http://www.arimaowners.com/index.php?topic=14017.0

On your question, guessing the trailer roller compressed the foam between the out and inner hull.  That would give you a different tone when tapped.  Arima folks will be the best answer folks.
Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

ArimaBob

I would love to buy that one. Unfortunately I've contacted muddman several times and haven't heard anything back. I have cash in hand and ready to pick it up any time...hopefully I hear from him. 

WHERE ARE YOU MUDDMAN???  :anyone:

ArimaBob

Quote from: Croaker Stroker on July 31, 2017, 11:03:22 AM
2nd SF's suggestion.

Could be a bad repair.  :shrug9:

Does your gut tell you he was already aware of the problem ?

I really don't think so, but you can never be certain, the guy is 76, and hasn't used the boat in 4 years. Visually, you can't even tell the issue is there to be honest, its only that I was tapping the hull with a small mallet and noticed a slightly different sound, once I pushed on it to see it flex, it 'gave' about an 1/8" before touching the backer which still felt firm. 

Just really hoping to avoid a lemon, while really wanting to buy a very-hard-to-find Arima in BC Canada.

ArimaBob

Quote from: StreamFixer on July 31, 2017, 08:16:31 AM
I recommend you find a local fiberglass professional to check out that area.  Delaminating glass will be a tough one to deal with.  The folks at Defiance (Don if you can get hold of him) will be able to advise you best.  Send your question to Belinda or Chief of the Boat, both of whom have good access to Don.

StreamFixer

Thanks for the advice! I tried to contact Defiance at the number they have listed online and it came up disconnected. Any more recent contact info for these guys? I'd love to have a chat before making a final decision...

ArimaBob

Quote from: tsuribaka on July 31, 2017, 12:59:32 PM
If dried completely separation of core from facesheet can be cured by injecting resin materials through a small hole. If the area is accessible from the bilge side they could do it without exterior holes but even if they had to go in from the outside they can seal and fair so you'd hardly know unless you knew where to look.

It does add weight compared to the as designed condition but other than that and the cost little downside to my understanding.

As recommended by others Defiance will have the best knowledge of this specific model and boat if that's a reasonable option for your location.

I figure if I were able to drill a small hole in it where the damage is, I'd immediately be able to tell if the backing was soft or wet...too bad people are so uptight about letting you bore holes in their boat before you buy! hahaha It's too bad the deck design of these boats allows almost zero access to the bilge, I would love to be able to get under the floor and give it a look from the inside.

StreamFixer

Contacting Arima

Perhaps you missed my suggestion to PM Belinda (burnsiebabe) and/or Chief of the Boat...  They both work closely with Don at Defiance...

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade

ArimaBob

Quote from: StreamFixer on July 31, 2017, 07:16:37 PM
Contacting Arima

Perhaps you missed my suggestion to PM Belinda (burnsiebabe) and/or Chief of the Boat...  They both work closely with Don at Defiance...

StreamFixer

Thank you StreamFixer! I must have missed that part earlier. I sent Belinda a message just now. Hopefully she has some information for me...good news even??? haha

Live in hope, die in despair, right? hahaha

*fingers crossed*

GregE

Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

milos dad

Not a big deal importing into Canada.  I bought mine from a dealer in Oregon.  I got receipts for the boat and the trailer, and bought a temporary license from Oregon DMV and paid tax on the boat at the border and tax on the trailer when I registered it in Abbotsford  - that was it. I registered the boat in BC, also no issues.

M D
Rick
87 Sea Hunter with 94 Honda 45
2009 6 hp Merc kicker

BurnsieBabe

FYI guys, I responded to ArimaBob at 9:39 last night.  I think he is all set now.

Belinda
Belinda Burns
Arima Marine International Inc from 1997
Defiance Marine LLC from 2013 (since Arima purchase)

StreamFixer

Thank you Belinda...

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade