Author Topic: Kicker motor issues - looking for tips/tricks  (Read 376 times)

Offline polarbill1999

Kicker motor issues - looking for tips/tricks
« on: July 27, 2017, 01:17:22 PM »
I fished the chinook MA9 opener and had our 100% reliable kicker lose it's perfect score.  It started up right away like normal when we were ready to start the troll and after 5 or 10 minutes it sputtered and died.  We could get it started (although not as easy and we almost had to pull the choke slightly out) after that and increase RPM while in neutral but the second we would put it in gear it would pop/puff/backfire and die.  We went through that cycle for probably 20 minutes before we gave up.  We recently had a new fuel line installed.  We checked that we were getting fuel to the motor and the fuel ball would get hard.  We were able to use the main so we could keep fishing but trolling for 4 or 5 hours on a shaking/coughing/smoking old keith isn't that ideal:)

Any thoughts on things to check?  We will probably check/change the screw on fuel filter and spark plug as well as run some seafoam through it. 

For reference this is a 6hp 4 stroke tohatsu. 
Brett
1996 Sea Chaser 16 the "Rhumb Runner"
70hp Envinrude VRO
6hp Tohatsu 4 stroke

Offline rasslingref

Re: Kicker motor issues - looking for tips/tricks
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 04:31:41 PM »
Bad fuel or partially clogged carburetor jet.  My Suzuki 15 has had a similar issue and when it sits for a month without use I have to clean the carburetor. 
1998 19' SR HT 1999 Honda 90

Offline whale

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 05:20:41 PM »
I would say, main jet is gummed up.
How long was the motor sitting for?
I find two weeks max between usage or gas turns yellow and gummy.
2014 Sea Chaser 17, Yamaha F90, T9.9

Offline Markshoreline

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 06:06:21 PM »
Make sure the fuel bulb is installed in the correct orientation.
Check for kinks in the fuel line.
Check the fuel filter(s) orientation/clogged?
Check the fuel pick up in the tank for clogging.
Good to swap the plug and run Seafoam, too.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Offline wedocq

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 07:30:12 PM »
I have resorted to removing my carb at least once a year, tearing it down, and running it thru one of these for a while to clean it. It seem to help.  :shrug9: FYI, you can find them much cheaper at Harbor Freight.
-Shawn
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009UOCS02/ref=asc_df_B009UOCS025095622/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B009UOCS02&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167139376298&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=7945254765026905764&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9033471&hvtargid=pla-313276351606
2002 21' Arima Sea Ranger HT  Suzuki DF175 4-stroke.
WEDOCQ= WE DO SEKIU! It pays homage to my Uncle Jay who died of cancer.

Offline Markshoreline

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2017, 08:26:26 AM »
Shawn how much disassembly do you do to the carb and what solvent do you use?

Offline whale

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2017, 12:00:55 PM »
I've done lots of carbs on lawn mowers. You end up with coating of varnish on everything. It's lots of scraping, poking the jets with wires....

To prevent this, its best that you drain your carb every time. It's too much hassle for me. I do next best thing, shut off the gas to the motor then burn it off while I run fresh water to it until it dies.

Very little gas comes from carb drain afterwards.
2014 Sea Chaser 17, Yamaha F90, T9.9

Offline wedocq

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2017, 01:26:05 PM »
Shawn how much disassembly do you do to the carb and what solvent do you use?

Mark,
I will take off the fuel bowl, and anything else I can remove, like the needle valve and jets. It's not difficult at all, it takes just a few minutes. I can have my carb totally removed from the motor in about 3 mins.  :biggrin: Currently, I have been using Purple Power as a solvent. They don't recommend using flammable solvents in the cleaners.
-Shawn
2002 21' Arima Sea Ranger HT  Suzuki DF175 4-stroke.
WEDOCQ= WE DO SEKIU! It pays homage to my Uncle Jay who died of cancer.

Online HemiGTX

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2017, 06:10:18 AM »
NASCAR pit crews have nothing on WEDOCQ when it comes to R&Ring a T8 carb.  And I think he'd be the first to admit that that's not a good thing, ha ha.
AKA: "The guy who fishes with Nicole"

Offline Threeweight

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2017, 09:49:10 AM »
Gummed up carb for sure.

Something that helps is not letting the carb sit for long periods of time.  Fuel stabilizer will help prevent gum and varnish from forming, and combined with running the kicker on the hose for 10-15 minutes every couple of weeks, will keep problems minimal.  So far, I've had to clear a clogged jet once in 2 years on my Honda 9.9, but I run that little sucker a lot.  The clog came from sitting over the winter.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Wild Card, Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220, Honda 225 and 9.9

“Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed.”
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Offline polarbill1999

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2017, 12:24:08 PM »
Thanks guys.  my dad tried a couple quick things since we went out Sunday with no luck.  He is going to pull the carb(s) and give them a good cleaning or pull the motor and take to the shop. 

I think my father is about half a straw away from replacing the kicker and keith. 
Brett
1996 Sea Chaser 16 the "Rhumb Runner"
70hp Envinrude VRO
6hp Tohatsu 4 stroke

Offline Rokefin

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2017, 12:37:34 PM »
Ditto on the carbs.....clean mine every year. It is easy, all you need is a little bench space, after your first go you will be able to clean the carb in minutes. As Shawn stated - remove EVERY jet and needle valve and blow out every orifice, hole, channel, jet - make sure jet is clear!!

Also, snug bowl screws but do not overtighten as you will be most likely cleaning this carb yearly and do not want to overtighten the pot metal...
1989 17ft Arima Sea Chaser 2010 115 Yamaha 1995 9.9 Yamaha kicker - Bodega mostly

Offline jetdoctor

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2017, 10:41:09 PM »
Check to see if there is a drain for the float bowls.  Most of the Hondas have one.  Not sure about Tohatsus.  Drain the carb after use if possible.  Another thing is to find a gas station which sells ethanol free gasoline.  It seems like the gas stations run by the local Tribes seem to have E0.  The ethanol encourages the microbial growth that is plugging up your carb.  Running E0 will probably alleviate repeats of your problems. 
The new 4 stroke outboards with fuel injection are really wonderful.  The Honda 90 on my SR17 delivered almost 7 MPG at 4500 RPM (25mph) on a round trip to Steheken on Lake Chelan last week.  This is a 95 mile round trip, which would have required carrying extra gas cans with the 90 Merc that was replaced.  With the Honda, the boat will run up the lake and back, and still have 10 gallons to fish with.
Cheers,
Doug   

Offline Markshoreline

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2017, 11:15:11 PM »
JD 7 mpg is double the average fuel economy I get with the 21 HT and 150 Yamaha.  Enjoy the additional range!