News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Lowrance fish finder reading

Started by soultrain, August 28, 2017, 09:39:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

soultrain

My Lowrance x52  fish finder always reads 28ft...Anyone have any thoughts as to whats going on? I'm going to start with resetting it to factory settings and hope that works.
" A man's got to know his limitations"

2007 Arima Sea Chaser w/King saltwater Trailer
Tacoma, Wa
First Time Boat Owner

croaker stroker

Don't know about the Lowrance, but my fishfinder has a maximum depth setting. I have it set to "automatic". Otherwise, I can set it to a specific depth, like 28 feet. 
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Diablo

Quote from: soultrain on August 28, 2017, 09:39:32 PM
My Lowrance x52  fish finder always reads 28ft...Anyone have any thoughts as to whats going on? I'm going to start with resetting it to factory settings and hope that works.

If you can't get it to work and don't want to buy a new unit, I have an X85 unit that you can have. It was working when I removed it. PM me.
'98 19SR  '15 E Tec 115, '10 Honda 8
'67. 23 Tollycraft, 283 Chevy
'04  14' Western, '15 Tohatsu 10
'87  37 Roughwater two 8.2 Detroit diesels SOLD
'88 17SR  '90 Johnson 90, Honda 8, SOLD

Rokefin

I had the same issue as croaker and ended up losing a downrigger ball - check your depth settings.

soultrain

Quote from: Diablo on August 29, 2017, 12:01:58 PM
Quote from: soultrain on August 28, 2017, 09:39:32 PM

If you can't get it to work and don't want to buy a new unit, I have an X85 unit that you can have. It was working when I removed it. PM me.

I'ts got a Garmin too!! And it works fine but was wondering what is going on with the Lawrance..I'm going out on Sound for first time ever in the Arima this weekend to see if Resetting worked...I wll also use automatic function to see if that works.  I don't want to be greedy and take yours when I have one that works at least..Great of you to offer I appreciate it.
" A man's got to know his limitations"

2007 Arima Sea Chaser w/King saltwater Trailer
Tacoma, Wa
First Time Boat Owner

croaker stroker

The maximum depth function is good if you are fishing in really deep water for fish that are in the upper part of the water column.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Dbobby23

Maybe this will apply to your problem or maybe this can help a humminbird owner in the future. On my 859 if you go into setting scroll down to (water type) there are 3 setting. Saltwater deep, salt shallow or fresh.  I am constantly switching this setting from salt deep to salt shallow. For example yesterday I'm setting pots in 150 ft of water and my depth reading is bouncing around because I was in
( salt  shallow ) setting from the day before when I was fishing close to the beach for coho. As soon as I change the setting to (salt deep) the depth reading stays constant without bouncing 10-15 ft. After setting pots I went back into the beach to troll in 15-35 ft of water and switched back to (salt shallow) if I leave the setting in salt deep I get inconsistent reading. Another example is lake chelan which is very deep where I target Kokanee sometimes. When in salt shallow setting my depth reading would bounce from 1.5 ft to 500 until I switched to salt deep. I fished 3 days with bad readings before I found this setting last year.
1983 seahunter
2004 yamaha f8
2007 yamaha f60 efi

croaker stroker

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Fishin Machine

Soul train, I had that problem with my last boat and ended up sending it back to Lowrance be repaired.

FM
DDT
2003 19' Sea Ranger

Markshoreline

Is it possible that you have the depth set on manual to 28 feet, instead of automatic?   When trolling for Coho in 600 feet of water I manually set my Garmin to 150 feet so I see more detail where the fish are likely to be.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9