News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Garmin radome

Started by Dhil12, July 16, 2017, 05:14:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dhil12

Is the new Garmin fantom radar dome worth the extra cost of the xhd dome? I have decided I want to get the 24 inch but I dont know the difference between the fantom and the xhd other than less power consumption and doppler. Does that equate to being worth the extra money? Thanks

Darrell
Darrell
2018 Sea Legend ht with bulkhead
2018 Yamaha 200
9.9 yamaha kicker

Markshoreline

I have the 18xhd and it is great.  Sorry don't know about the other improvements.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Dhil12

Thanks Markshoreline. I'm set to get the xhd, but wondering the differences, and if it's really worth the extra money to step up to the fantom.
Darrell
2018 Yamaha 200
9.9 yamaha kicker

GregE

Tiimely.  I'll taq onto your search and help look for your answer.

Looking for radar info for the SL 22 Skip.  So I need to figure the slope needed to mount the dome so the scan hits out front properly.

Additionally, I have 10' 8" opening to the shop bay and the  skip top rear is 10' 1".  there is a 4" GPS antennae also but the top slopes lower forward.  SO, I need a very flat radome that can be mounted forward on a small wedge to set the angle.  A mount that allow the radome to flip forward may be required otherwise.  Who Dat makes one.
Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak II
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

Dhil12

Greg feel free to tap in. I love your new boat. I saw it for sale. We are going with the rocket launcher on a hard top. Thinking about the angle/saftey of it or if I need to change the angle. Still interested about the fantom radar if its really  worth the extra money over the xhd. Are you coming back to a SL or going to be a two boat owner?
Darrell
2018 Yamaha 200
9.9 yamaha kicker

Dhil12

I know nothing, but what about a front/ flat mount with spacers for angle on the skip top?
Darrell
2018 Yamaha 200
9.9 yamaha kicker

Hunter

We run the Garmin Fantom 18 radome on the new boat.    The thing that really sold me on the upgrade was the Motion Scope technology.  It basically shows any target and also shows a "ghost" trail so that you can not only see the target but also see the trail and immediately identify the direction that the target is moving.   It also automatically assesses the threat level of targets and color codes them for you based on the detected target heading and your current heading.

I still recommend that you talk with Gil at Semperfi...   He's a darn nice guy and a wealth of info   

http://www.thehulltruth.com/semperfifishing-marine-electronics-transducer-sales-135/   

2001 Sea Legend 22 (Gone But Not Forgotten)
2017 Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220 ET-HT - Honda BF250 & Honda 9.9 Power Thrust
All Garmin Electronics

"ALWAYS QUESTION AUTHORITY!!"

Dhil12

Thanks Hunter. do you see any advantage other than the motion scope which is a huge advantage? any other differences?
Darrell
2018 Yamaha 200
9.9 yamaha kicker

BestBoats

If you can afford it I would get the latest technology. The ghost feature is just another added safety measure.   :twocents:
2007 21' Sea Ranger Hardtop "THE A-TEAM"
150 Evinrude Etec
9.9 Susuki EFI

Hunter

Quote from: Dhil12 on July 16, 2017, 08:00:47 PM
Thanks Hunter. do you see any advantage other than the motion scope which is a huge advantage? any other differences?

[/quote]

Probably not a lot that would be readily apparent..... but then I've never used or been on board with an 18xhd...   The other things that I really liked after talking with Gil was that the Fantom is solid state and the xhd is not.   Also, the Fantom is instant on with no "warm-up" and utilizes a lot less power which is always a worthy consideration.    It also is supposed to have some enhanced bird location tech that I haven't really played with yet'

For me....the echo trails and the colored target threat identification the solid state and the low power consumption were the triggers that made it all worth the extra $350.. 
All Garmin Electronics

Dhil12

I did ask the difference about the xhd and the fantom on the hull truth site, and Gil answered saying the fantom is superior for navigation and safety. I do like it for the same reasons you stated. Thanks
Darrell
2018 Yamaha 200
9.9 yamaha kicker

GregE

Good info-  thanks for letting me read along. 
I've got SemperFiFishing bookmarked-  trying to phase in ( read $$ ) all the things I want/ need to upgrade.

We are multiple boat owners but want to slim the herd by several soon.

Greg
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

Dhil12

Hunter, did you add the heading sensor for using MARPA? Sounds cool but with incoming targets a different color, and being able to set an alarm at any given distance, I dont know if it would be necessary,especially given an additional $600 for the sensor
Darrell
2018 Yamaha 200
9.9 yamaha kicker

Hunter

Nope.... did not add the sensor.    Added the Fusion stereo system instead.   
All Garmin Electronics

Hydroman

Does the Fantom tracking replace the need for AIS?

Jim
17 Sea Chaser (sold)
21 Skip Tower (sold)
27 Thunder Jet OS (sold)
22 Thunder Jet OS

Dhil12

Hunter, My thoughts exactly. Hydroman, being new, I'm not sure I will answer correctly, but AIS is different than doppler radar. The doppler radar used in the Garmin fantom radome will show boats coming at you in a different color than those standing still or going away from you. It will show anything coming at you faster than 5mph.The beauty is you see a threat and hopefully can avoid. The AIS is used to send your position in an emergency. Hopefully those with more experience will answer and give you the right answer, incase mine is wrong.

Darrell
Darrell
2018 Yamaha 200
9.9 yamaha kicker

First Cabin

I have the 18xhd and AIS600.  The 18xhd works well, but I'd go with the Fantom just to have the latest solid state Doppler technology.

The AIS is great to have, but not as critical as radar because it is dependent on the other guy having AIS.  It is somewhat reassuring to know the big ships can see my mosquito ass on their screen though.

The radar is much more critical to have.  I've learned that the AIS location on the screen is not live.  There is quite a delay.  For example, while anchored on the Columbia and watching ships come up river, I noticed that I would be run over by the ship before the AIS position updated to my location.  Definitely something to remember!
First:  1982 15' SeaHunter, Yamaha 70 2-stroke, Yamaha F6
Second:  1987 17' SeaRanger, Merc 90 2-stroke, Yamaha F8
Current:  2002 17' SeaChaser, Yamaha F100, Yamaha T8

Dhil12

Thanks first cabin. I have already spoke with the dealer to upgrade to the fantom. I'm not concerned with the boats who have radar, I'm concerned of those who dont have radar and would like to see a threat coming at me on a foggy morning. The color code of boats coming at you along with a user settable distance alarm is a very nice feature
Darrell
2018 Yamaha 200
9.9 yamaha kicker

Hydroman

I have both AIS receiver and radar, and they both have their own shortcomings.  The AIS has no value unless the other vessel had AIS transmitter and must be on.  It's not uncommon for commercial fishermen to have theirs turned off. It is also difficult to pickup signals of small vessels on radar unless they have radar deflectors.

There is best accident avoidance system still depends on the keen observation by the skipper.

A good example of a maritime collision involving a Navy vessel ocean going ship, both having the latest technology and ained skippers, collisions can still occur.

Be careful when you are on the water.

Jim
17 Sea Chaser (sold)
21 Skip Tower (sold)
27 Thunder Jet OS (sold)
22 Thunder Jet OS

Dhil12

Great advice Jim. Thanks!
Darrell
2018 Yamaha 200
9.9 yamaha kicker

GregE

The AIS is used to send your position in an emergency.

Nope,  you're confusing the DCS red covered button function that you program with your boat ID, description, contact info etc.  It transmit digital burst info and all VHF radios built recently will get that info.  Coupled to your GPW ( or with built in GPS it will transmit your location.

Your AIS receiver function does not have a transmitter ( bigger bucks for that and it will be a separate unit )
Greg

Hydroman

Greg,

AIS stands for Automatic Identification System, it is an automatic tracking system that can be displaced on your chart plotter and/or radar display.  The display the relative position on the vessel in you range of VHF range.  The icon also identified vessel name direction and speed.

All vessels 75' and larger are required to broadcast this data via od AIS transmitter.  I only have receiver on board of my TJOS.  It's a great tool when fishing where heavy marine traffic is present. Columbia River, Straits of Juan De Fuca.  At the time I purchase mine the receivers and necessary cabling was about $300 adding a transmitter was another $500.  They have come down in price since then.  I don't remember how often the position id undated, but it is near real time.  Distance traveled between transmissions is dependent of vessel speed.

I can see Columbia river traffic from my house for about a 10 mile range in
either direction.

Jim

Jim
17 Sea Chaser (sold)
21 Skip Tower (sold)
27 Thunder Jet OS (sold)
22 Thunder Jet OS

BigMac

Quote from: GregE on July 16, 2017, 07:27:45 PM
Tiimely.  I'll taq onto your search and help look for your answer.

Looking for radar info for the SL 22 Skip.  So I need to figure the slope needed to mount the dome so the scan hits out front properly.

Additionally, I have 10' 8" opening to the shop bay and the  skip top rear is 10' 1".  there is a 4" GPS antennae also but the top slopes lower forward.  SO, I need a very flat radome that can be mounted forward on a small wedge to set the angle.  A mount that allow the radome to flip forward may be required otherwise.  Who Dat makes one.
In 2007 I had a similar problem that was solved (not cheaply) by installing a Sea View 5" pedestal and hinged mount for the 18" radome on my 22 SLHT.  In retrospect this might have been fabricated at less expense at a good welding shop.  You likely will also need a lay down all-around running/anchor light.
(Dave)

Dhil12

You're right. I did get confused between AIS and DCS :doh: must be my add  :dance:
Darrell
2018 Yamaha 200
9.9 yamaha kicker

croaker stroker

TJOS ?

You could get one of those anchor lights that unplugs. Like on the smaller Arima's.
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸