Author Topic: Bilge filling with water  (Read 342 times)

Bilge filling with water
« on: July 15, 2017, 07:40:42 PM »
Hey everyone. First off sorry if this has been discussed. If so point me to it.  My bilge filled with water pretty quickly yesterday. I've been working on this auction boat for months and went to put it in the water and luckily had some engine issues. It was at the boat launch in the water for 10mins. We pulled it out and my bilge spit out 4 huge spouts of water when we were checking her over on the trailer.

Is this normal with Sea Hunters? The bilge plus is in just so you all know.

Any help would be amazing. I'm chomping to get it in the water.

Online Hydroman

Re: Bilge filling with water
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 07:49:27 PM »
Probably just had some residual water in the bilge.  Even with the drain plug out some water will accumulate in the bilge if you don't raise the bow higher than than than the stern.

Jim

Online Markshoreline

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 09:46:09 PM »
Correct!  Most Arimas will collect water up toward the bow unless the trailer is raised above where the jack will raise the bow.  We all have our techniques for accomplishing that.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 10:27:57 PM »
Thanks folks. I just wanted to make sure... Putting it in the water for 10mins and pulling it out and having the bilge spit that much water was a little concerning.

Offline Dbobby23

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2017, 11:57:43 PM »
Yup. My sea hunter seems like it takes a huge hill to get all the water out after leaving the launch.
1983 seahunter
2004 yamaha f8
2007 yamaha f60 efi

Online Markshoreline

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2017, 03:43:14 PM »
When you pull it out of the water be sure to open the plug and trailer up steep hills on quiet streets and just stop and let the water pour out.

Offline First Cabin

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2017, 04:00:12 PM »
When you pull it out of the water be sure to open the plug and trailer up steep hills on quiet streets and just stop and let the water pour out.

Yes!  If you are really concerned, put the plug IN while on a steep ramp just prior to launching so you are sure there isn't any water in the boat before you launch.

When I wash my boat at home, I have to be sure and drain it on a fairly steep driveway or a lot of water is left in the bilge. 
First:  1982 15' SeaHunter, Yamaha 70 2-stroke, Yamaha F6
Second:  1987 17' SeaRanger, Merc 90 2-stroke, Yamaha F8
Current:  2002 17' SeaChaser, Yamaha F100, Yamaha T8

Online Yachter Yat

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2017, 06:21:41 AM »
    First thing I do after retrieving is remove the plug.  If, for some reason, my bilge took water (which is highly unlikely since those entry points, like the cable boot, are well-sealed)  then these New England roads would, not doubt, have no problem taking care of the problem on the way home.  So, make sure that boot is closed-off.  Also, check the bilge plug gasket integrity.  I'm always careful not to overtighten that plug so as not to compromise that thing.  I know Mark, Croaker or Fixer may have a comment on this, but I always keep that plug gasket moistened with a little Vaseline.  :facepalm:

Have fun, Yat
Dear Arima:  Stretch the Hunter platform by 5. Next, stretch the Explorer by 9 and steal 2 or 3 from the cabin.  Please hurry, I'm getting old.

16 SC/Honda 60

Online Markshoreline

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2017, 08:17:38 AM »
Funny, I may have a comment about your gasket, too!

Offline StreamFixer

• Administrator
  • Fisherman
  • Have Rod, Will Travel
  • View Gallery
    • StreamFix
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2017, 09:52:07 AM »
You thinking his gasket is loose too   :facepalm:

StreamFixer
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top
'03 Yamaha 115 EFI
'05 Yamaha T8 Solas 4 blade prop

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu'

Online Markshoreline

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2017, 10:07:00 AM »
Or worse.

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2017, 11:03:04 AM »
Thanks so much guys. Glad to hear it isn't anything to be super concerned with.

Online Croaker Stroker

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2017, 11:31:16 AM »
You thinking his gasket is loose too   :facepalm:

StreamFixer

Yes. I was thinking Yat's plug might be too small to fit.
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"If a fish will, he will… if he won't, he won't… and that's about it… except… he may take this when he won't take that."

Online Yachter Yat

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2017, 01:07:38 PM »
   Whaaat?............What did I just read?............I must have been too busy counting dividend income to see this sooner. :doh:  This, from three guys that I held in such high regard?   I mean......How could I have actually thought for a moment that StreamFixer was really a Urologist?  Then, thinking Markshoreline was a renowned Geological Surveyor of Coastlines?   And.......most disappointing of all.......telling people Croaker Stroker must surely be some kind of highly regarded Amphibious Wildlife Rehabilitator?     I've never!  :hoboy:

Yours truly,

Yat, the innocent.   :whistle:

Dear Arima:  Stretch the Hunter platform by 5. Next, stretch the Explorer by 9 and steal 2 or 3 from the cabin.  Please hurry, I'm getting old.

16 SC/Honda 60

Offline StreamFixer

• Administrator
  • Fisherman
  • Have Rod, Will Travel
  • View Gallery
    • StreamFix
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2017, 03:34:15 PM »
     I've never!  :hoboy:

Yours truly,

Yat, the innocent.   :whistle:

Well, Yat,  Perhaps you should have   :bigshock:  and REALLY ---  "...the innocent..."  REALLY???   :nono:

I suspect all three of us were born at night, just not last night   :hoboy:

StreamFixer

P.S.  I just heard from Danno who has suggested someone's bilge is filling with something   :shrug9:
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top
'03 Yamaha 115 EFI
'05 Yamaha T8 Solas 4 blade prop

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu'

Online Croaker Stroker

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2017, 12:32:08 AM »
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"If a fish will, he will… if he won't, he won't… and that's about it… except… he may take this when he won't take that."