Author Topic: Garmin transponder  (Read 343 times)

Offline Dhil12

Garmin transponder
« on: July 14, 2017, 01:58:49 PM »
What are thoughts on the Garmin transducers. We are going to outfit our new boat with either the 7610 or 7612 xsv, which ever one fits the dash the best, but wanting the biggest for my old eyes. We have in our quote of using a 600 watt transom mount transducer. I dont know the difference of any of them offered. Would there be a better transom mount transducer?
Darrell
2018 Sea Legend ht with bulkhead
2018 Yamaha 200
9.9 yamaha kicker

Offline AP

Re: Garmin transponder
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 03:08:09 PM »
i started typing a bunch of stuff out and then realized that this link would tell you all I was typing and more:
https://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvisor/Selecting-a-Sonar-Transducer

Offline GregE

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 03:24:42 PM »
Dash space depends a lot on where the instruments are placed during the build.  It's easy to look around a 7" Display- not so for 12
Talk to Arima about what your Plotter plans are before they drill holes for the engine instruments.
Greg
Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT; SL 22 Honda 225
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:  Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat;
SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

Offline Dhil12

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 04:02:40 PM »
Thanks. Arima Thinks the 12 inch will fit. the dealer is planning on using one instrument for tach, temp, trim/tilt, so threre should be room. I want a good transducer to really see, and wouldnt be opposed to using two smaller screens, but that cost is much higher than one 12 inch. The reason I like the 12 inch is it is still acceptable seeing with a split screen. I know going two smaller sreens would be better, but much more money and will take up more space. but the question is a 600 watt transducer? Is it a good one? Will I see bait and shrimp and crab on the bottom, let alone fish?  Thanks
Darrell
2018 Yamaha 200
9.9 yamaha kicker

Offline gfakkema

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2017, 04:42:09 PM »
The 12" will definitely fit. It's a little tight, but I think it's perfect. I think that one screen looks much cleaner and less cluttered vs multiple screens. Not sure about the Garmin, but the display splits/sizes can all be customized on my Lowrance. Here is a sample...

In that pic, I have the sounder the biggest, followed by engine data and the chart. I really like the 12" size for viewing from the back of the boat when fishing. Ideally, I plan on putting another HDS unit just inside the bulkhead for viewing from the cockpit/kicker. Another option to consider is adding more screens above the helm like this...

Darrell, what are you doing this weekend? I'm going to be headed up to Stanwood tonight for some crabbing out of Everett on Sat and maybe fishing MA9 on Sun. If you want to meet up tomorrow afternoon and come out on the boat, you are welcome too. You can pilot it around and get a feel for it etc. Just shoot me a PM or a text.
2001 22' Sea Legend HT w/Alaskan Bulkhead
2006 Suzuki DF250 / 2004 Mercury 9.9

Offline Holoholo808

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2017, 04:50:49 PM »
Airmar 260 transom or thru-hull mounted. They have more elements and higher sensitivity.

Garmin is a good value but I'm not familiar with your criteria. I'd recommend semperfifishing on THT. He's knowledgeable and is up to date on Garmin's current models.
1611 SC Honda BF90D

For easier searching go to Google and type "site:www.arimaowners.com (search term)"

Offline Dhil12

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2017, 05:00:33 PM »
Thank you so much for the offer Gregg, but we have family coming this weekend. Holoholo,Mahalo, From my understanding we need to do a transom mount because the Thru the Hull mount would not be accessable.
Darrell
2018 Yamaha 200
9.9 yamaha kicker

Offline Holoholo808

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2017, 05:52:39 PM »
Thank you so much for the offer Gregg, but we have family coming this weekend. Holoholo,Mahalo, From my understanding we need to do a transom mount because the Thru the Hull mount would not be accessable.

Check the dimensions on the specific transducer as some of Garmin's transom mount models are on the larger/longer side. They also have a design flaw with the bracket that causes excessive spray.

If it'll fit this might be a good option that will take advantage of the power your head unit can put out:

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/88686#overview

More options are available here:

http://www.airmar.com/productinfo.html?category=MT&name=Marine%20Transducers

You can filter by mounting, power, etc.
1611 SC Honda BF90D

For easier searching go to Google and type "site:www.arimaowners.com (search term)"

Offline Hunter

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2017, 09:20:41 AM »
Couple of responses......

Gffakema's boat used to be our boat and I can say with complete certainty that the 12 inch screen we installed won't hurt your forward vision and the larger screen is really nice.

We are currently running a Garmin 7610xsv on our 220 Hewes tin can...  (see pic below) and as you can see there's lots-o-room and no forward vision concerns at all. 

The 7610 is fully NMEA networked into everything including the 18in Fantom Radar.    Also has full Bluetooth connectivity so you can view functions from a phone, Ipad, etc..   

For the transducer, we are running the Airmar GT51M-TM with Chirp, Down-vu and Side-Vu.    I also recommend talking with Gil at Semperfi fishing for both information and price.

2001 Sea Legend 22 (Gone But Not Forgotten)
2017 Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220 ET-HT - Honda BF250 & Honda 9.9 Power Thrust
All Garmin Electronics

"ALWAYS QUESTION AUTHORITY!!"

Offline Dhil12

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2017, 10:18:49 AM »
Thanks Hunter.
Darrell
2018 Yamaha 200
9.9 yamaha kicker

Offline Hunter

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2017, 10:37:06 AM »
One other thing is that we have a Fusion stereo system that is also networked into the 7610 so can be controlled from the main MFD or the remote or any Bluetooth device, phone, etc...

PS....  Being that you are having the boat built...have you considered a through hull ducer?   
All Garmin Electronics

Offline Dhil12

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2017, 11:29:19 AM »
That's a great idea. Do you have wired speakers or bluetooth? I am thinking about bluetooth speakers so I dont have to cut holes in the new boat. Haha

The dealer and I talked about a thru the hull transducer, but he was concearned of access to it in the future. Also the 12 degree dead rise was an issue.
Darrell
2018 Yamaha 200
9.9 yamaha kicker

Offline Hunter

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2017, 02:39:46 PM »
Our speakers in the Hewes are wired and so were the ones on the 22SL.    Here's a pic below of the speaker location that we chose on the 22SL.   There's a pretty good sized triangular shaped "cavity" up there in the hardtop so you can get some nice weight speakers to still flush mount.

https://www.fusionentertainment.com/marine

All Garmin Electronics

Offline Dhil12

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2017, 03:10:03 PM »
Thanks for the picture. I didnt realizee there was thet much space up there.
Darrell
2018 Yamaha 200
9.9 yamaha kicker

Offline First Cabin

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2017, 06:20:54 PM »
I'm running a Garmin 7610xsv with a GT51M-TM transducer along with Fusion radio.  I ran wire to two Bose outdoor speakers as I didn't want to make any holes.  I'm happy with my system.

Screen size?  Always go as big as you can fit/afford.

If you buy a 7612xsv, I recommend you network a 1040xs for $1k....

Talk to Gil at SemperFiFishing....

First:  1982 15' SeaHunter, Yamaha 70 2-stroke, Yamaha F6
Second:  1987 17' SeaRanger, Merc 90 2-stroke, Yamaha F8
Current:  2002 17' SeaChaser, Yamaha F100, Yamaha T8

Offline Hunter

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2017, 07:49:46 PM »
Thanks for the picture. I didnt realizee there was thet much space up there.

Yep....  someone here has a pic of that space...  It's a lot more than you would think. 
All Garmin Electronics

Offline BigSid

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2017, 08:32:58 PM »
Have Don install a thru hull if he thinks there's sufficient access to it later down the road. I had them install an Airmar B175M 1KW ducer at the factory. There's a hole in the false floor ahead of the fuel tank for access. Best decision I made was having the factory do it. I only lose sight of bottom in real rough water or massive prop wash, tracks bottom great and of course CHIRP is the only way to go. I have it hooked up to a Garmin 7610xsv and I'd go for the 12" if you can. I made the mistake of not telling the factory to mount my tach and fuel gauge lower on the dash, I probably could have gone with the 12" had they been somewhere else but in all honesty for my boat the 10" is quite sufficient. I also find the 10" to be big enough for split screen chart and radar, I have a GMR18xXD radome and I've never really cared for the overlay but am trying to get used to it.
2016 SR19 Honda 135 & 9.9