Author Topic: Paint for 88 hunter wood?  (Read 210 times)

Paint for 88 hunter wood?
« on: July 12, 2017, 10:18:53 AM »
The wood on my Arima is quite weathered and I am torn between making it look better with Varathane? And therefore retaining its original look and painting the wood white which will make it look newer.  If I decide to paint can anyone recommend the best paint and color (colour I'm a Canuck 👴🏻😊).
Tight lines Tom
1988 Sea Hunter 60 Suzuki 5hp Mariner
1958 9 ft moulded birch 1958 3 hp Johnston and a 30 pound electric

Online Diablo

Re: Paint for 88 hunter wood?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 11:33:33 AM »
I would go with the paint. I like the wood look but it is harder to maintain. I know it's just a picture of wood.
If you paint use marine paint like Pettit or Interlux. Interlux has a two part paint that is the only thing the boat yard will use because it is so durable. Both brands have very informative web sites. It's spendy but worth it

The only clear finish that will stand up to the marine environment is Cetol by Sikkens. This is what the boats with a lot of bright work use at the marina we are at. Even using that you will need to touch up every year or so depending on exposure.

Good luck and post before and after photos.
'98 19SR  '15 E Tec 115, '10 Honda 8
'88 17SR  '90 Johnson 90, Honda 8, SOLD

Offline Holoholo808

Re: Paint for 88 hunter wood?
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 04:12:00 PM »
I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest trying Kiwigrip. One part, don't need a respirator, soap and water cleanup, and easy to spot repair. Anyone tried this before?
1611 SC Honda BF90D

For easier searching go to Google and type "site:www.arimaowners.com (search term)"