Author Topic: MA9 Salmon opener on Sunday?  (Read 1421 times)

Offline finfinn

Re: MA9 Salmon opener on Sunday?
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2017, 04:16:34 AM »
Mark - I have had good results on both outgoing and incoming tide at Midchannel. On incoming I would troll with the tide at the tail end of the tide and expect strikes bouncing the bottom at about 80 feet half way between the Fort Worden and Fort Flagler. On the outgoing I would stay closer to Fort Flagler an maybe go a bit shallower. And of course pull up and run against the tide to restart the troll. If you hunt for silvers go to Lagoon Point and put Pink Ladies on.

Wish I was there, sitting in an Arima to explain it all :wink: .
Had a glorious SR19 Finnesse.
You can not change the length of your life, but boating does increase its width and depth.

Offline Greenbank

« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2017, 12:49:08 PM »
Here's my arsenal for tomorrow's carnage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
99 Sea Explorer 70hp Suzuki 4 stroke

Offline Markshoreline

« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2017, 01:32:05 PM »
FinnFinn yep, that's the troll I do last two hours of outgoing- nice to hear about the incoming and would love to have you along to try it.

Greenbank that's a pretty arsenal and I know you get fish out front there!

My boat is on the trailer right now- went to the SJ's yesterday and saw VT and his girls, though briefly.  Found a new shrimp spot and picked up 3 easy limits of big, fat spots then headed back WOT over flat water to Keystone then trailered home.
The park attendant said several boats had come in with king limits from Salmon Bank.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Online Salmon King

• Fisherman
  • Fly your flag proudly and thank a veteran!
  • View Gallery
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2017, 02:36:02 PM »
Here's my arsenal for tomorrow's carnage.

John how's that Fish Flash inline work for ya?
I've never even got a hit using an inline in the Salt.
I might be doing it all wrong though...leader length maybe??
PLEASE...Fly your flag Proudly, and remember to thank a Vet!
'83 SeaChaser (FahrFrumWerken)
2012 Etec 90,'95 Merc 9.9, Hand made Skiff Top W/Custom Arch.  All the Bells and Whistles have been Added!  I'm Done

Offline Greenbank

« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2017, 06:46:49 PM »
Terry, I have not tried that one yet, maybe tomorrow and I'll let you know. Most of the other combos have worked pretty well.

Good luck to everyone tomorrow!

Offline finfinn

« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2017, 11:58:33 PM »
Agree with Greenbank's choices. Anything will work at Midchannel as long it is Coho Killer and green  :jester:.
Had a glorious SR19 Finnesse.
You can not change the length of your life, but boating does increase its width and depth.

Offline Greenbank

MA9 Salmon opener on Sunday?
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2017, 02:10:16 PM »

Offline Greenbank

« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2017, 02:12:29 PM »
Photo sent before the text. Small 9 lb Chinook should be  good for dinner tonight. Brad caught this 5 minutes after the lines were dropped at 7:30. I picked up a decent Pink about 5 hours later.

Offline Markshoreline

« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2017, 05:53:20 PM »
My wife invited friends over for brunch today on the salmon opener.  :doh:

Maybe tomorrow when she goes to work!

Offline BigSid

« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2017, 07:21:20 PM »
I started at Pilot Point this morning and got into an 8-10 pound native right off the bat. Closer to PNP I marked less bait than I did toward pilot so we made three passes and headed to the east side of the bar at 930 to get ready for the ride change. It was shaker after shaker at the bar, think we had 3 shakers at pilot and couple more at the bar plus a dogfish I picked up trolling a 3.0 spoon 30 feet off the bottom. What's everyone's take on the shakers? Kinda thought 5/0 hooks would keep us off them.
2016 SR19 Honda 135 & 9.9

Offline polarbill1999

« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2017, 07:30:11 PM »
W got a late start.  Started trolling the east side of possession at about 9 and our kicker decided to die on us.  We ended up fishing to about 1.  We also saw a ton of shakers.  Maybe 6-8 between the 2 of us plus a dog fish.  I did have what I think was a solid keeper size fish but lost it just before it got to the surface about 20-30 feet from the boat.  We fished with a bit of everything for the first half but mostly fished with 3" spoons.
Brett
1996 Sea Chaser 16 the "Rhumb Runner"
70hp Envinrude VRO
6hp Tohatsu 4 stroke

Offline BigSid

« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2017, 07:53:12 PM »
W got a late start.  Started trolling the east side of possession at about 9 and our kicker decided to die on us.  We ended up fishing to about 1.  We also saw a ton of shakers.  Maybe 6-8 between the 2 of us plus a dog fish.  I did have what I think was a solid keeper size fish but lost it just before it got to the surface about 20-30 feet from the boat.  We fished with a bit of everything for the first half but mostly fished with 3" spoons.

Pretty sure we saw you guys. Shakers were crazy today, my co pilot corrected my numbers....she says we had more like 6 shakers at the bar alone. Pretty much double digits for the day. Kills me to have to get tangled up with that many.
2016 SR19 Honda 135 & 9.9

Online Salmon King

• Fisherman
  • View Gallery
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2017, 08:32:50 PM »
I wasn't out there (I did fish the beach and came up empty), but I stopped at the Keystone ferry ramp for a while around 10.
  Fish checker had checked 28 boats and 42 fish.  Almost all caught at MCB.
 I hung around to verify those numbers and personally inquired to the next dozen boats that came in...
Every single boat had the same story...
The fishing was LIGHTS OUT!  Every single boat had limits of fish.  Didn't matter how many were fishermen were in it...they had limits.
I seen several fish that would have been high-teeners.
Green or White were the correct colors.

John did you get over there after we talked?

Why didn't I go? 
I have had my trailer damaged the last 4 times I fished opening weekend before that I e had my hitch pin stolen and a trailer tire sidewall sliced open from another guy backing his fender into mine (he did own up to it and paid for it though).  I ALWAYS skip opening day now.  People lose their minds on days like today. 
  The parking at keystone was insane this year too.  Some had to park on the road as much as 1/2 mile away.
I noticed that one guy had his trailer fender crushed the way into his tire.  Someone else without a trailer had his SUV sideswiped at just the perfect height of a boat trailer...oops.

2012 Etec 90,'95 Merc 9.9, Hand made Skiff Top W/Custom Arch.  All the Bells and Whistles have been Added!  I'm Done

Offline rasslingref

« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2017, 11:33:11 PM »
Slow afternoon bite at midchannel for us.
Did get to see Mr Arimas old boat.
And that sunset was awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1998 19' SR HT 1999 Honda 90

Offline Greenbank

« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2017, 01:22:53 PM »

Terry, Thanks for the call and I did the math and it did not pencil for me to run over to MCB and only fish for an hour. I have to be very mindful of the tides to get back into our moorage. I did land a decent Pink shortly after we spoke, then called it a day.

I just texted friends that are at MCB today and they have only caught one small Pink. They did see someone land a nice King but otherwise slow going out there today. What a difference one day makes.

Online Salmon King

• Fisherman
  • View Gallery
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2017, 04:05:36 PM »

Terry, Thanks for the call and I did the math and it did not pencil for me to run over to MCB and only fish for an hour. I have to be very mindful of the tides to get back into our moorage. I did land a decent Pink shortly after we spoke, then called it a day.

I just texted friends that are at MCB today and they have only caught one small Pink. They did see someone land a nice King but otherwise slow going out there today. What a difference one day makes.

Hey...at least ya got another one right?

Take care John...

Offline pickles1107

« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2017, 08:11:51 PM »
We fished the east bar on Sunday from 5:15 tie 7:45 AM. 

Released 6 smalls at the boat (closest was an 18" hatchery fish).  Had another 2 or 3 that didn't get boat side plus a dogfish and a rockfish (?) 

Offline gfakkema

« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2017, 08:23:28 PM »
We got a late start and didn't get lines wet til 11 after dropping pots. We fished Possession for most the the afternoon. Tangled with a 12#-15# native fish pretty quick along with a couple shakers. I had a 15#-18# clipped fish on for a bit, but it got away at the boat after a 15 minute fight due to a novice on the net. I was pretty deflated after that. Fished for another couple very slow hours before I caught a 12# clipped blackmouth. She was STUFFED with and puking candlefish. Fish checker confirmed resident fish. Not a bad day though, hoping to hit MA9 at least one more time before it closes. Also, I should clarify, I DIDN'T CATCH ANY SHAKERS! I really hope that the quota is not filled with shaker encounters...

On a side note, every crab pot was pretty stuffed and there were quite a few 7"+ males. Unfortunately for us though, every single one was soft as could be.
2001 22' Sea Legend HT w/Alaskan Bulkhead
2006 Suzuki DF250 / 2004 Mercury 9.9

Offline rasslingref

« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2017, 11:33:10 PM »
We worked hard for 3 more today. The biggest we guessed at 18.
Bait balls everywhere.

I believe this is my biggest king ever.

I love sunsets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1998 19' SR HT 1999 Honda 90

Offline Markshoreline

« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2017, 07:15:39 AM »
RR you're about to inspire me to go fishing!

Online Salmon King

• Fisherman
  • View Gallery
« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2017, 09:21:03 AM »
[quote author=gfakkema link=topic=13955.msg163341#msg163341 date=1500348208
Not a bad day though, hoping to hit MA9 at least one more time before it closes. Also, I should clarify, I DIDN'T CATCH ANY SHAKERS! I really hope that the quota is not filled with shaker encounters...

[/quote]

I'm already starting to worry about an early closure too...even with the increased quota.
I originally guessed it to close to Kings on 8/5...but with the reports I've been getting I'll be shocked if its open until 7/29!😡

LOTS of Kings being caught out there and that usually translates into a lot more released...they all count against the quota.😣

Offline gfakkema

« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2017, 01:18:39 PM »
Yup. With some of the conversations that I heard, if be surprised if it lasts 2 weeks. I heard one boat report over 20 shakers!  :doh:
2001 22' Sea Legend HT w/Alaskan Bulkhead
2006 Suzuki DF250 / 2004 Mercury 9.9

Online Salmon King

• Fisherman
  • View Gallery
« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2017, 01:07:46 PM »
Yup. With some of the conversations that I heard, if be surprised if it lasts 2 weeks. I heard one boat report over 20 shakers!  :doh:

I HATE I when folks say those things out Loud!!

Offline Crackerbox

« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2017, 01:59:28 PM »
Last year they had a quota counter on the WDFW website, I haven't found it this year.

Online Ttcustomz

« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2017, 03:05:57 PM »
I'm the guy with Mr. Arimas old boat ... We found constant action at mid channel on the opener let a few lucky ones go and release a few that didn't agree with a boat ride.. But did end up with these fish
1999 Arima Sea Legend twin Honda 75