Author Topic: Perko Switch Question  (Read 487 times)

Offline BigMac

Perko Switch Question
« on: July 11, 2017, 01:21:56 PM »
Need some advice about my 8-9 year old Perko Switch (the red one that has the off, 1, all, & 2 positions).
Noticing the last few months it's getting harder to dial the different positions. It catches at each position with some grating.  I've followed the recommendations that came with the switch--dial back and forth through the positions a few times.  This does seem to make the switching less hard, but only for a while. 
Time for a new switch or is there a way to correct the problem with this one?
Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions.
(Dave)

Offline Diablo

Re: Perko Switch Question
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 02:28:49 PM »
I'd replace it. Better to do it on the trailer than wishing you had done it at sea.
'98 19SR  '15 E Tec 115, '10 Honda 8
'88 17SR  '90 Johnson 90, Honda 8, SOLD

Offline Hydroman

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 02:34:31 PM »
I  have several friends who have recently had problems with the same switch and they had no success in repairing, I would just replace it or it will completely fail at the most inopportune time.

Jim
17 Sea Chaser (sold)
21 Skip Tower (sold)
27 Thunder Jet OS

Offline Holoholo808

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2017, 03:05:42 PM »
Sounds like it's time to get a Blue Sea add-a-battery...

https://www.bluesea.com/products/7649/Mini_Add-A-Battery_Kit_-_65A

1611 SC Honda BF90D

For easier searching go to Google and type "site:www.arimaowners.com (search term)"

Offline Threeweight

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 04:54:09 PM »
Dave, sounds like you have some corrosion in the switch.

I'd second the Blue Sea Add a Battery suggestion.  If you don't want to go that route, a Blue Sea replacement switch. 

I think I have a brand new Blue Sea 1, 2, 1+2 switch in my garage (removed from my Hewes when I put the Add A Battery kit in it).  I'll cut you a deal on it if you want it!
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Wild Card, Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220, Honda 225 and 9.9

“Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed.”
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Offline BigMac

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 07:56:36 PM »
Thanks for the good advice guys, and your offer, Steve, of a deal on the Blue Sea switch.
Probably will go back to the one being replaced.  All the holes line up, the hookups will be the same, and I'm used to using it.  The Blue Sea would be nice, but maybe as an upgrade if I rework the wiring this winter.
(Dave)

Offline Fishin Machine

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2017, 06:12:28 AM »
When my Perko switch start to get hard to turn I spray some wd40 on it and it works just fine.  :beerchug:

FM
DDT
2003 19' Sea Ranger