Author Topic: Trim is stuck  (Read 366 times)

Offline salmosalar

Trim is stuck
« on: June 29, 2017, 11:40:32 AM »
I have a 1999 Honda BF50 that I recently purchased. The motor operates fine in every way I have tested it except that the trim is stuck partially up. I knew this when I purchased it. I now have to fix it. It spent a bit of time moored, by it's appearance. There is some corrosion on the base of the trim pump.

It does not move regardless of which switch you use.
Relays do not click regardless of switch used.

It appears that there are 2 relays, and 2 switches. Given that the relays are not clicking I believe that I have e a lose connection, likely at a ground.

I'm looking for any insight prior to me getting out the volt meter and playing doctor. Has anyone else had a similar issue, especially on a Honda?

Offline Croaker Stroker

Re: Trim is stuck
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 12:13:08 PM »

I don't have any helpful insight besides the doctor method that you already suggested.

I do have one suggestion though..... don't forget to support the motor with something when you are poking around under there.
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"If a fish will, he will… if he won't, he won't… and that's about it… except… he may take this when he won't take that."

Online Hydroman

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 12:14:14 PM »
There should be a by-pass valve on the cylinders that you can manually open with a screw driver and the oil pressure will bleed off and the engine should return to the lower position.  You want to open the valve slowly to prevent from slamming down.

Offline Tj805

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2017, 01:21:28 PM »
Could be a bad relay
You can usually here them click.
1987 sea ranger 17
90 hp yamaha precision blend
2014 yamaha f8

Offline salmosalar

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2017, 01:23:35 PM »
I have found the by-pass valve. I know that I can get it down. It's only tilted 15-20 degrees from vertical.  I am not too worried about it flopping down. I actually am hopeful that I can find a short or disconnection and it will be a fairly easy fix. It could also need a new trim motor potentially.

I appreciate the feedback though. First rule of being a doctor is "do no harm". I'd rather not make the situation worse either.

Online ATGEP

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2017, 03:19:04 PM »
If you are a do it yourselfer and are keeping the motor, get the factory service manual. It will guide you through any repair. Used ones can be found online pretty cheaply. Looking at my 135 shop manual there are no fuses. The relay has troubleshooting steps. The trim motor also has brushes ans looks serviceable. Your engine will be different but it should not take too long to figure out the problem with a manual and a meter.

Offline salmosalar

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2017, 07:42:42 AM »
So I direct wired the motor to a battery and it did not run. I have disassembled the trim unit to the point that I get at the pump.
The pump is held on by 4 screws. Phillips head. They seem like they are likely to strip. I think I will give them 3-4 days of constant penitrating oil. Then I'll give them a go.
Honda trim pumps are buried inside the bracket that bolt on to the transom. They are a bear to get to.

Online AJFishin

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2017, 05:37:05 PM »
If you need to take off your engine, I made a simple stand when I needed to take mine off. Took about an hour or so to do, pretty easy.

My nephew said a grocery cart works too, but I didn't feel to comfortable placing my engine on a shopping cart.

Anyway, here are the instructions (blueprints) to build one that I found online.

And here is the one I built for myself. If you don't have an engine hoist, a couple friends work too :jester:

'96 Sea Chaser 1511 - Yamaha 70HP - 2 smoke

! Go Kings Go !