Author Topic: New Electronics ??  (Read 521 times)

Offline GregE

New Electronics ??
« on: July 03, 2017, 08:05:46 PM »
I may be setting up a different boat for off shore. It has older/ '05 FF/ plotter x 2 and no radar.

I see several folks setting up with Raymarine. Looking for digital radar and 10 or 12 " MFD with chirp and suggestions to help find something within 2- 4K budget.

Suggestions please.......

G
No, that isn't Bandaid.........

Greg
Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT; SL 22 Honda 225
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:  Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat;
SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

Online Markshoreline

Re: New Electronics ??
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 10:30:09 PM »
I'd suggest getting a system that is easy to operate, like a Garmin- you don't need a bunch of features you'll never use and are hard to access.  Don't you just use the fish finder, navigation and radar?  All brands are really good these days at a given price point.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Online Threeweight

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 11:25:02 PM »
Raymarine ease of use has come light years since the old push button stuff.  Newer Raymarine's w/ the Lighthouse II operating system are just as easy to use as Garmin, IMO, with better sounders and radar, Navionics mapping and a stronger warranty.  I don't think Garmin even has a CHIRP radar unit yet. :stirthepot:

Raymarine jumps from a 9" screen to a 12", nothing in between.  The unit in my Hewes that you got to play with is an A98 (9").  If I were buying new right now, I'd either go with an A98 or A128, or the new Axiom with true 3d imaging (similar price).  The E series units are an alternative with both touchscreen and a knob/joystick/buttons, if you prefer that (same operating system). 

For radar, pretty much any new unit is "digital."  The newest units are solid state and use a CHIRP pulse radar signal (similar to CHIRP sonar) to get higher resolution images with less power.  They have shorter range than traditional units (10-12 miles instead of 20-30), but for a fishing boat that is just fine.  The Quantum units are Raymarine's CHIRP pulse radar and get rave reviews. 

Garmin and Navico (Lowrance/Simrad) both make fine units as well.  Garmin is having some technology issues on sonar due to losing a patent lawsuit (parent company of Lowrance sued them and won).  If I were looking at Navico products I'd skip the Lowrance line and focus on Simrad (their higher end units, more equivalent to Raymarine or Furuno.)

Furuno makes the toughest units on the market and are about as good as it gets, but also the most $$.

If you go Raymarine, I found Anchor Express (online store) to have the best prices.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Wild Card, Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220, Honda 225 and 9.9

“Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed.”
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Offline GregE

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2017, 09:57:20 AM »
Great info Steve.  We can always count on you to do it up right.   :applause:

I know several new setups by BD boat owners are going with Raymarine
Greg

Offline First Cabin

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2017, 12:49:08 PM »
I haven't had any experience with Raymarine so I won't get into that debate. All I can offer is my positive experience with Garmin and throw out some ideas.  Redundancy and screen size...

We have a Garmin 7610xsv at the helm and a 1040xs on the port side.  That gives us two 10" screens...networked with transducers and radar.  We're running the 18xhd radar, but Garmin does have new digital units available.  Just spent the weekend at Neah Bay.  Out to Swiftsure twice.  Running a P66 transducer off the 1040xs, and the Chirp GT51TM off the 7610xsv.  I held bottom over 1,000' at 20mph.  At 300' depth, I was marking bait and salmon down around 250'.

The Garmin 1040xs can be purchased on sale now for $1k.  It's push button, but as a networked display/backup it's a bargain for a 10" screen.  Network it with one of the newer units with built-in Chirp, and you have a powerful pair and lots of real estate for old eyes!  I normally use the 1040xs as my fishfinder and the 7610xsv as my chart plotter, but of course you can display anything on either screen.

You can buy a lot for $4k. Do yourself a favor and call Semperfifishing.  I've bought everything from him based on his recommendations and haven't regretted a single purchase.  I really believe you will appreciate  two networked displays.

As for the Navico lawsuit, Garmin prevailed in court 6/17/2017.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 12:54:36 PM by First Cabin »
First:  1982 15' SeaHunter, Yamaha 70 2-stroke, Yamaha F6
Second:  1987 17' SeaRanger, Merc 90 2-stroke, Yamaha F8
Current:  2002 17' SeaChaser, Yamaha F100, Yamaha T8

Offline GregE

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2017, 06:44:32 PM »
Thanks EJ.  Are you and Steve ready to chase some TUNA this season?  Troll fishing is OK but live bait will jump start ya

Going to call my boat electrician that has a pro account with Fisheries Supply-  He can usually beat most prices I can access but I'll check with the suggestions above.

Greg

Online Threeweight

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2017, 08:13:43 PM »
Good color water is still a ways offshore down here.  First scout sport fishing boats out of Charleston/Newport/Ilwaco have picked up a few (5-6) but no big numbers yet, and all are running 50+ miles to find them.  I'm hoping we see blue water move in closer by the weekend. 

It seems like the North Pacific is back to a more typical temperature pattern, which will be good news for salmon and halibut in future years, but not so good for early season Tuna! fishing.

Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Wild Card, Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220, Honda 225 and 9.9

“Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed.”
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Offline GregE

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2017, 11:51:30 PM »
Yep.  I'm looking more toward the 3rd week in July for numbers to show up at reasonable distances. 

In any case I'm planning to use Kodak this season- it's already set up and fishes 5 nicely.  but, she'll be looking for a home in the coming months ..... so don't miss an opportunity for the big boat excursion.  Good crew wear PFDs  and rain pants  :biggrin:

« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 12:02:34 AM by GregE »
Greg