News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Shrimp pot rigging

Started by Markshoreline, June 24, 2017, 10:36:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Markshoreline

I'd appreciate hearing thoughts on how you set up shrimp pots, weights/anchors, bait and bait holders and etc.
I use the 42" octagonal traps that Outdoor emporium sells at the boat show.  I wish I'd got the smaller size as these Overtake the cockpit.   I've put 20 lbs lead in each one without an anchor.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Diablo

I like the jumbo yellow floats along with two stacked yellow and white floats with a flag. I've lost pots because of currents pulling them under.
For bait I use the crab shrimp bait pellets. If shrimp can't eat they will leave, so I grind the pellets up with an old hand crank food grinder. I also grind up old bait and add shrimp / crab attractant. This should end up as a really gooey messy mix. I put that mix into the 9" bait barrels. Because it is so messy you can fill the barrels, put them in a bread bag and freeze them. Makes it a little less messy on the boat.
You can see the clouds of shrimp with a decent sonar. I soak for about 2 hours during a tide change. Big tide changes = big current = lost gear.
Good luck Mark.
'98 19SR  '15 E Tec 115, '10 Honda 8
'67. 23 Tollycraft, 283 Chevy
'04  14' Western, '15 Tohatsu 10
'87  37 Roughwater two 8.2 Detroit diesels SOLD
'88 17SR  '90 Johnson 90, Honda 8, SOLD

Peddler

I have octagonal McKay pots. I have 25-lbs of lead in each, no external anchors.

I use a bridal on the pot; so it descends, lands, and pulls flat. I never free-drop my pots.

I have some jumbo yellow buoys I found at the LFS booth at the Seattle boat show 7-8 years ago. They've never gone under, when double-buoy rigs nearby have been barely visible.  I have them on some pvc pipes, with a flag on the top, and a donut-weight about 12" from the bottom. With the weight installed away from the end, they can be carried/stored on the rocket-launcher rod holders.

I have 400-ft of leaded line for each pot. I store all four shots on an old, large garden hose reel. It's heavy when loaded, but it works great!  Each end of each shot is the same, just a spliced "eye," so it doesn't matter which way it's rolled into the reel. I use quick-links to attach the line to the pot and to the buoy. The quick links stay on the pot and buoy when the line goes on the reel.

If I were to buy new pots today, I'd probably buy the nesting Ladner pots. Spendy, but they work, and they nest inside of each other for space-savings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wishin' I was Fishin'

rasslingref

The McKay Octagons are the producers!!!!  No additional weight for Dabob.  Because we pull by hand we have moved away from the leaded line.  We have small rubber buckets that we can stuff 2 400' ropes in.  The ropes have stainless clips on both ends so they can be attached to either a buoy or pot.  I'll take pictures when I go shrimping on the last Shrimp day in July for Hood Canal.  Bait is whatever oily cat food that is on sale and placed in a sock. 
Good luck.......I'm taking Hemi next time I go out.
1998 19' SR HT 2019 Yamaha 115 2017 Yamaha 9.9
Kitsap County, WA

Wiley

Anyone ever try shrimping on north California coast. My wife would sure be happy if I brought some home and I could be twice lucky ;)
86 c Dory 22' new 90 hp etec (sold)
96 sea explorer 15'-11" new 90 etec named (wutz wuzn cuzn)
10' Don Hill Pram
Respectfully, Build, Buy, Be American
Please bring back logging, we can't afford to keep burning up our country!!!

Salty Dangler

I use the Ladner knock offs made by Kufa. They weigh about 30lbs without any additional weight. 400' of leaded line and an LD-2 buoy on top. You'll never lose a pot again, and you can see your buoys from a mile away. Plus one on the stainless clips on each end of the line.

ATGEP

I use 1/4 inch leaded from Johns. Less windage in the current is a bonus. I have 400 ft shots and drop them into a a 20gal trash can.  I separate the shots with a piece tarp.  No tangles and the line is all in the can for storage, etc. I connect the shot to the bridle with a stainless quick link.

Read and heed all advice. You need the pots to stay put. 30lbs total weight is pretty standard. You need the buoys to support the weight and float the pot if the current gets you. 

After 2 years I got bit today and lost 2 pots today while prospecting as the current came up faster than expected.  I  was pressed for time and had to leave the grounds and hope to find them in a few days during a slack tide.

In the end they are fishing gear and some will be lost while fishing.  Pick days with minimal tide exchange and STAY with you gear and you will be less likely to loose your gear.

Diablo

I store my line in plastic tubs the size of a garbage can but half as high. The line will mostly coil right into the tub from the puller. Two lines per tub separated by a piece of plastic. One other thing I put a plastic tag 10 ft or so from the float end of the line. The tag will go right through the puller and lets you know to pay attention your pot is just about up.  :food:
'98 19SR  '15 E Tec 115, '10 Honda 8
'67. 23 Tollycraft, 283 Chevy
'04  14' Western, '15 Tohatsu 10
'87  37 Roughwater two 8.2 Detroit diesels SOLD
'88 17SR  '90 Johnson 90, Honda 8, SOLD