Author Topic: another newbie question regarding radar  (Read 291 times)

Offline Dhil12

another newbie question regarding radar
« on: June 19, 2017, 02:50:59 PM »
we have a new Sea Legend on order and I ordered it with the rocket launcher with a radar pad. We plan on getting the 24 inch Garmin.I see some mount the radar up in the front of the hardtop. Is there any advantages to that or will the rocket launcher pad work as well? Sorry, but I am a newbie. I appreciate your help and experience.
Darrell
2018 Sea Legend ht with bulkhead
2018 Yamaha 200
9.9 yamaha kicker

Offline Threeweight

Re: another newbie question regarding radar
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 03:19:38 PM »
You want to make sure the beam from the radar has a clear shot at the ocean in front of you when you are up on plane, rather than hitting the front edge of the hardtop.  This photo may help explain things:

If your rocket launchers get it up high enough for this, it is fine mounting it at the back.  You may need to fine tune the angle of the dome once you get it installed... you want it to sit fairly level with the boat on plane (which typically elevates the nose quite a bit vs. off plane).  Some stacked plastic spacers on the rear mounting bolts work fine for this, or you can cut some custom starboard shims, or you can buy pre-made solutions online. 

You do want to make sure the dome is up high enough that it is above head height of anyone walking around on the back deck when you are operating it.  Microwaves do strange things to human eyeballs.

Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Wild Card, Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220, Honda 225 and 9.9

“Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed.”
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Dhil12

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 04:09:39 PM »
Thanks Threeweight. We owned a boat before but never had electronics so thanks. Something new to me. I will work with the dealer(who is awesome) and see the angles and may add a riser to the rocket launcher if needed. Thanks, much appreciated!
Darrell
2018 Yamaha 200
9.9 yamaha kicker

Offline BestBoats

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 07:02:09 PM »
All things equal the higher the better. The factory pad will work fine. Like threewieght said once you get it go out with a level get your boat on plane then use your level to determine the correct width of shim you will need to get the dome level.  I have the 24" Garmin and it has been great so far.
2007 21' Sea Ranger Hardtop "THE A-TEAM"
150 Evinrude Etec
9.9 Susuki EFI

Offline Dhil12

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 07:16:09 PM »
Thanks best boats. Much appreciated
Darrell
2018 Yamaha 200
9.9 yamaha kicker

Offline Peddler

another newbie question regarding radar
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 07:52:07 PM »
FWIW, though not in an Arima, my radar done is mounted on an arch at the aft of my hardtop. As you can see, there's a wedge under the dome to make it level when running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline Dhil12

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 08:17:44 PM »
Thanks Peddler. Love your boat. the pad Im getting on the Arima with rocket launchers isn't as tall, but it does have a forward tilt
Darrell
2018 Yamaha 200
9.9 yamaha kicker

Offline Markshoreline

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017, 09:56:17 PM »
On Peddler's boat the arch is tall and wide enough to likely allow an inflatable dinghy on the top.  I mounted the radar on my boat forward in case I needed to accommodate placing something on the top.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Offline Peddler

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2017, 07:13:34 AM »
On Peddler's boat the arch is tall and wide enough to likely allow an inflatable dinghy on the top.  I mounted the radar on my boat forward in case I needed to accommodate placing something on the top.

A small inflatable could fit. The one I own is too wide however, and I've got rod holders in the way.

Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline Peddler

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2017, 07:18:02 AM »

A small inflatable could fit. The one I own is too wide however, and I've got rod holders in the way.

In all honesty, if I were to have rigged this boat when new, I'd put my radar dome at the front of the hardtop, and have a lower profile arch at the rear for the rod holders. This boat requires 13-ft for overhead clearance on the trailer, something I really have to watch on-occasion. (Primarily at gas stations.)

Wishin' I was Fishin'

Online GregE

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2017, 08:23:07 AM »
Ah, Critter Cove on Nootka Sound, BC.   Sure miss the scenery there.
Greg
Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT; SL 22 Honda 225
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:  Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat;
SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait