News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

VHF Antenna Mount 17 Sea Ranger

Started by jetdoctor, June 12, 2017, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jetdoctor

Hi All,
I wanted to upgrade the VHF that came with my boat to a DSC capable unit that would transmit the mmsi  and location.  I purchased a West Marine VHF 585 last winter, but could not get it to network with the Garmin 54DV.  There is no Baud selection on the radio, which I think is the hold up.  I spent a Saturday trying everything, talking to customer service etc., and decided to return the radio and get a Standard GX2200.  I would have got a GX1700, but they have been recalled for some reason.  I downloaded and printed out the manual for the GX2200, and it says to mount the antenna at least 3' from the radio.  My boat has the antenna located in the common location for Arimas--next to the helm, on the side of the cabin.  The reason so many are mounted there is simple--it is out of the way when on the trailer, or on the water.  I can't see that there would be adverse health problems from 25w VHF RF.  If it was HF AM, then it would be a concern. 
Since the boat does not have a tower/hardtop, where else is a good place to mount the antenna?  The antenna is a Shakespeare 5225 Galaxy 8'.
Cheers,
Doug

Peddler

Same location on the opposite side?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wishin' I was Fishin'

dbhazjack

I mounted mine on the port side because of the 3' min issue. Most ignore that and don't seem to have any problems. Also, because of the issues with NMEA 0183 and those ridiculous wires and configuration with baud rate and sentencing sequence etc, I went with a Lowrance link 8 since it was one of the only radios that provides a NMEA 2000 connection. It has been plug and play with AIS and DSC with zero issues.

Some folks prefer to just get a radio with built in GPS which is fine, but it's hard for me to believe that the GPS antenna would be as robust as the chart plotter, and I like getting all the info on a screen I can actually read.  :twocents:
2013 17' Sea Chaser, 90 hp Honda, 8 hp Honda Kicker. SOLD

jetdoctor

Thanks for the replies! 
It remains to be seen how the Standard GX2200 works.  I like the idea of a stand alone solution to DSC and AIS.  If the radio works, then it works.  If it doesn't it will not be because of the network.  If the boat already had a NMEA 2000 network, then I may have gone another route.  The NMEA 183 network is lacking in many respects.  I thought that it was ironic that West Marine has a page on their website urging people to connect their GPS to their VHF.  It's only 2 wires.................. :facepalm:
I am still thinking about the antenna location.  The old VHF still works, so I may be adding a second antenna.
Cheers,
Doug 

milos dad

Doug - I have a Garmin 55DV, which must be very similar to your Garmin, and a Standard Horizon GX1600 VHF.  I was able to connect the two units via NMEA.  I got an MMSI number and wanted the connectivity for use in an emergency.

Let me know if you want to know how the wires between the 2 devices were connected.

M D
Rick
87 Sea Hunter with 94 Honda 45
2009 6 hp Merc kicker

jetdoctor

Thanks Rick,  I appreciate the help.  The GX2200 has it's own GPS, and AIS reciever, so the hookup is going to be different.  I put a terminal strip on the boat, and the GPS is already hooked up.  The radio needs to be hooked up for AIS and DSC--but it just dawned on me that it may be one or the other.  The manual on the GX2200 is very complete, so it should not be a problem to hook up. 
Cheers,
Doug