Author Topic: Rookie question - How do you study charts?  (Read 279 times)

Offline mm916157

Rookie question - How do you study charts?
« on: June 09, 2017, 01:27:27 PM »
I have a rookie question.

I want to start studying charts for structures and fishing spots I like at home, then load the waypoints into my GO9.

I know the GO9 can import waypoints from an SD card.

My question is how do you study digital maps when at home?

Offline dbhazjack

Re: Rookie question - How do you study charts?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2017, 01:52:41 PM »
I use software I purchased from Navionics called Insight Planner. Works pretty well, same charts I have on my HDS 9. I can study contours etc at home, create waypoints and routes then load them on my Lowrance. Also can bring my Lowrance chip in from the boat and study my trails etc. Nice to have a back up of things too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2012 17' Sea Chaser, 90 hp Honda, 8 hp Honda Kicker.

Online AJFishin

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2017, 02:15:05 PM »
I have a Garmin and I use Garmin Homeport and it's free to download.
1996 Arima Sea Chaser 1511
96' Yamaha 70HP - 2 stroke
Poachers = zero tolerance

! Go Kings Go !

Offline Kimbrey

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2017, 04:52:33 PM »
Here's my suggestion....
But a question 1st....where do you live?  If you are in the Seattle area stop by Captain's Nautical in Ballard and look at their paper bathymetric maps.  THere's free catalogues that you can look at to pick your area of interest.

I feel a paper bathymetric maps are far easier for research than trying to find something on your small plotter screen.  Heck it's easier for research than some of commercial style plotters I use in Alaska (Olex & ECC Globe).

Here's a link to a NOAA site for the maps in our area....https://ngdc.noaa.gov/mgg/bathymetry/maps/area5.html
Click on the one off of Westport.  You'll be able to see the bottom type in various areas et cetera. Lower left corner of the map lists what type of bottom each graphic represents or it's a key.  If Captain's doesn't have it in stock they can print it for you right there with their print on demand system.  They also can print if you want any nautical chart which would then be up to date.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 10:22:58 PM by Kimbrey »
2005 Sea Legend --Sold--replaced with 26' Duckworth

Offline Markshoreline

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2017, 09:52:25 PM »
 :yeahthat:
Go to Captain's before that old place is replaced with condos!!!
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9