News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Newport Halibut

Started by StreamFixer, May 22, 2017, 06:24:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StreamFixer

Looking for an open seat, within a few feet of a working Scotty plug, June 1-3 for Newport Halibut.  Weather not looking bad, marine in about a week.

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

Threeweight

Russ, I plan to be down there, but I don't know yet how full my boat will be. 
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

beancounter

Now Russ what in the world would you need seating near a plug like that for?

Red 22

I think he missspelled Beer tap.
Tony

05' Red Legend 22 skip tower, Honda 225, Honda 9.9,  Garmin 740s, Garmin HD 18 radar Garmin GHP10 auto-pilot
"I've always wanted to sail to the south seas, but I can't afford it." What these men can't afford is not to go.
-Sterling Hayden

Markshoreline

Red22 I think you misspelled whiskey.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

ericsearanger

Russ I have open seat on Thursday and Friday , only me and my mechanic but, Saturday a friend come out to fish with me , so we will have full boat I alway fish with 4 people. if you don't mine you can fish with us. 3WT Rock Pile are hot again many boat limit out

1989 19' SR . 2016 140hp suzuki . 2016  9.9  Yamaha

Red 22

Russ, my friends from Idaho have their own RV so I have an open bed if don't want to pay for a hotel. Will arrive at the Marina RV park about 4pm on weds., walking distant to boats.
Tony

05' Red Legend 22 skip tower, Honda 225, Honda 9.9,  Garmin 740s, Garmin HD 18 radar Garmin GHP10 auto-pilot
"I've always wanted to sail to the south seas, but I can't afford it." What these men can't afford is not to go.
-Sterling Hayden

ericsearanger

Red22 do you have open seat for Russ also?

Red 22

Sorry no, I have 3 guys coming from Boise. They have their own RV. Russ and I discussed open seats  in a PM before he made this request. I do have an open bed.
Tony

-Sterling Hayden

StreamFixer

Wow...  Could not be much better that that...  :party:  Thank you for the offer of a place to sleep Tony and Eric for the ride. 

Tony, Wed. & Thursday both?  Wednesday would be great...  Long morning commute from Oregon City   :biggrin:

e-mails sent

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade

Red 22

Russ, I'll be there Wednesday through Saturday your welcome as long as you want.
Tony

-Sterling Hayden

ericsearanger

I ll be in Newport late Wednesday evening , launching 4-4:30 am Thursday , see you then

Threeweight

I am planning to head down Thursday, maybe Wednesday if I can twist Katherine's arm  :whistle:

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Keel-er

Did you all go out and, if so, how did you do?  I cancelled my weekend bottom fishing plans after seeing the huge tide exchanges, talking to CG at Garibaldi about the bar conditions and thinking about 10+ vertical feet of water rushing out of the bay to meet the ocean and how that would look...
1986 Sea Ranger 17 "Nancy Lyn"-Sold
2020 Yamaha F90
1995 Sea Ranger 19
2023 Tohatsu 140
2020 Yamaha 9.9

Threeweight

Halibut was closed over the weekend because of the big tides, we are all plotting our strategy for the opener starting this Thursday (June 1 -3).

Looks like I'll be able to get down to Newport Wednesday night. NOAA central OR coast forecast is deteriorating for the weekend, but Thursday looks do-able.

WED NIGHT
S WIND 10 TO 15 KT...BECOMING SW 5 TO 10 KT AFTER
MIDNIGHT. WIND WAVES SW 3 FT AT 4 SECONDS. SW SWELL 5 FT AT
14 SECONDS. CHANCE OF SHOWERS.

THU
SW WIND 5 TO 10 KT. WIND WAVES SW 2 FT AT 4 SECONDS. W
SWELL 6 FT AT 11 SECONDS. CHANCE OF SHOWERS.

THU NIGHT
SW WIND 10 TO 15 KT. GUSTS TO 20 KT AFTER
MIDNIGHT. WIND WAVES SW 3 FT AT 4 SECONDS. W SWELL 5 FT AT
10 SECONDS. SHOWERS LIKELY.

FRI
NW WIND 10 TO 15 KT. WIND WAVES 4 FT. W SWELL 6 FT.

SAT
N WIND 20 TO 25 KT. WIND WAVES 5 FT. W SWELL 5 FT.

--- Hunter S. Thompson

Keel-er

Well that forecast sucks. Looks like I am going to explore one of the coastal range creeks with my 4 weight.
1986 Sea Ranger 17 "Nancy Lyn"-Sold
2020 Yamaha F90
1995 Sea Ranger 19
2023 Tohatsu 140
2020 Yamaha 9.9

Red 22

Magic seaweed just backed off their forecast a little  for Thursday, Friday and might be good up to noon on sat  :bowdown: I'm heading down in the late am.
Tony

-Sterling Hayden

Threeweight

We'll be heading down tomorrow evening after work.  Tin can will be in a slip.

--- Hunter S. Thompson

StreamFixer

Heading out to meet Tony around 14:00.  I'll give Steve a call.  Eric coming later tonight. 

Newport Oregon area Marine Forecast as of Wed. AM

Thu

W wind 5 to 10 kt...backing to SW with gusts to 15 kt in the afternoon. Wind waves SW 2 ft at 4 seconds. W swell 5 ft at 10 seconds. Chance of showers. 
Thu Night

SW wind 10 to 15 kt...becoming S 15 to 20 kt after midnight. Wind waves S 4 ft at 5 seconds. W swell 5 ft at 10 seconds. Chance of showers.
Fri

SW wind 10 to 15 kt with gusts to 20 kt... becoming NW to 5 kt in the afternoon. Wind waves SW 5 ft at 5 seconds... shifting to the NW 1 ft at 4 seconds in the afternoon. W swell 5 ft at 10 seconds.

Shaping up to a good couple of days fishing...  Gitter done Thursday morning,,,,Sporty Friday AM then nicer afternoon.

I was thinking about maybe losing some weight with the predicted showers, but was assured by my wife that while I am sweet, I am not sweet enough to melt...  So much for that weight loss plan   :hoboy:

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade

HemiGTX

Go get them, guys.  Good luck and have fun!
AKA: "The guy who fishes with Nicole"

StreamFixer

It's Saturday and I have returned.  Ended the trip with 4 lings, 8 black rock fish, the biggest cabezon I have ever seen (around 30") that I had to throw back (cannot retain until July 1.  I usually toss Cab's back as they don't have much meat, but this one was more than 15" girth behind the belly) and a 35" 'butt.

Thursday a really rough ride out but the day smoothed out and we got into some bottom fish (cannot have 'butt's and bottom fish on the boat in Oregon).  That translates to several hours of hard fishing and not catching.  So we went bottom fishing and ended the day with limits on board.

Friday, Pan joined us...  Young man with lots of energy.  Helped make up for this old man recovering from the beating the seas gave us yesterday.  He dropped his line over as did Eric.  I was almost back to my corner to drop my rig when Pan went off like a stream driven siren ---  Fish ON!!!!...  42" butt within a couple of minutes of getting his rig to the bottom.  One excited fellow. 

Tried here and there, finally returning to where we got the first one where we quickly picked up a couple of 35".  Took the fish in, put them on ice and returned for some bottom fishing...  Much slower than Thursday.  Picked up several ling, a few black rock, the aforementioned Cab (on a pipe jig) and Eric's kicker began having problems.  We were ready to call it a day. 

Weather for today was predicted to be marginal so Eric pulled his boat, on the way home to get kicker problem addressed. 

Fun had by all..  I am still sore in several spots..  Seems to be an issue younger, more supple, people somehow avoid   :biggrin:

Ready to go again if the season still open later this month.

StreamFixer   :gone_fishing:
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade

GregE

I am still sore in several spots..  Seems to be an issue younger, more supple, people somehow avoid  :biggrin:

I hear younger folks saying "WSup"  a lot- maybe it's a mantra thing....
Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

croaker stroker

My wife and I have been repeating this to each other. Hope it helps....

Suck-it-up
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Threeweight

I pulled the plug Thursday after crossing the bar and banging out about 4 miles into a south wind and 3' wind chop.  Shoulda kept going, it cleared up in the afternoon and became the best day of fishing, from what I have heard.

We battled our way 30 miles SW into the south wind on Friday, tagged two nice fish (a 47" and a 44" halibut) then banged our way home after the wind reversed direction straight into a north wind.

Had a friend join Saturday.  Conditions were nasty nasty, but we made the 30 mile run again.  Backing into drifts with the kicker, we had wind waves breaking over the cowling of the motor periodically.  We managed to tag a 43", a 41" and a dinky little 36" then tucked tail and crawled home.  Brutal ride home, 30 miles straight into a 15 knot north wind, gusting to 20, and white capping wind chop.  Boat handled it like a champ, and Smooth Moves seats mostly did good (bottomed out a few times).  Back felt fine Sunday morning till I pulled a muscle washing the boat!

A few photos...

Heading out:

Wheelbarrow full of fish:

Katherine got a double on Friday, she reeled up a 47" and about a 35" at the same time.  We turned the little guy loose.  She couldn't lift her 47", so we hoisted it up on the rocket launchers:

Katherine battling a fish saturday:

Saturday's fish:

--- Hunter S. Thompson

GregE

Nice!!  Looks like the Tanecum reel did well.

How does the Hewes compare to your Arima in chop?  I'm thinking the bow angles are similar
Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait