News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Spray rails --- Barbour plastics

Started by croaker stroker, May 22, 2017, 03:36:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

croaker stroker

1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Markshoreline

I'm pretty sure that's much better pricing than the Smart Rails.  And you have followed procedure for a successful install.  I think you're going to love them!
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

croaker stroker

Buying them directly from the extruder (Barbour) saves $$ in mark-ups and multiple shipment cost.

Remember...****THEY HAVE TO BE HEATED****

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

croaker stroker

The MarineTex matches the PVC pretty good. MarineTex always requires filling twice....fill,  24 hour cure, sand, re-fill(shrinks), 24 hour cure, re-sand,  polish.

Sorry for the pics. I can't get far enough away to see what it actually looks like.  :shrug9:

Notice the extrusion radius is not perfect.  Tooling ? Shrinkage ?

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Markshoreline

croaker stroker

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Markshoreline

croaker stroker

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

croaker stroker

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Rokefin

Looks great!  Will you drive up north and do mine? I'm low on spare time..

Markshoreline

Sweet job!  Looks really well done, Croaker. 

Wiley

Awaiting sea trials and observations  :shrug9:
86 c Dory 22' new 90 hp etec (sold)
96 sea explorer 15'-11" new 90 etec named (wutz wuzn cuzn)
10' Don Hill Pram
Respectfully, Build, Buy, Be American
Please bring back logging, we can't afford to keep burning up our country!!!

Rokefin

Croaker - coffee is getting cold - still waiting for you.

Me too busy

croaker stroker

Sorry, Haven't had a chance to get her out yet.... maybe next week.  I also lost both of my boat Hos....Sam and Danno both got new boats.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Rokefin

Croaker
After you preset the rails and when you removed them to attach for the final time, did the rails stay formed to the boat or did they want to open back up?

Why did you decide to go with 5 screws?

I was looking over your rail project again - really a clean job!

croaker stroker

They kept their shape, but I still had to force them to fit even after I pre-bent them.

If you notice, our boats have a "compound arch" along the "knuckle"  (Yat, I used your word). I was able to prebend the molding horizontally, but the molding needs to bend vertically at the bow as well. I had to force this bend and hold it down with the screws. (Starting at the stern) Taco Marine recommends screws every 6".

I think it is important to "dry fit" the molding prior to using adhesive. I don't know how you could do that without using screws.

I decided to go with 5 screws because I did not want to see the countersink holes 6" apart. Had I known that the MarineTex would come out looking so nice, I probably would have drilled for more screws.  Also, I talked with a guy at Taco who only used VHB tape and 5200, so I felt the 5200 would stay stuck with, or without screws once it sets up.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

croaker stroker

We went to Dana Point for our anniversary. My wife wanted to take the boat because she wanted to see if the spray rails worked or not. We stayed in the Blue Lantern Inn for the night and got up to launch for the test run. I had Duct Taped my GoPro on the end of a broomstick so I could get a shot of the spray rails deflecting the waves. Off we went for the sea trial...

Anyway, the Spray Rails worked great. We went out a few miles and hit some nice wakes from larger boats....no water spraying over the bow.

Funny my wife was so excited about the spray rails....haha. 

Then, she got really excited when I located this big, friendly, Mola Mola. I think he thought the Arima was another really large Female Mola Mola because he kept circling and winking his eye.   :jester:

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

croaker stroker

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Markshoreline

croaker stroker

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Rokefin

Thumbs up - mine should show up tomorrow...

I'll have a set of the Barbour 5 footers for sale when I am done with the project this weekend.

Tj805

Glad to hear they actually work
Might have to get a set
Tired of my face getting all wet at 6 In the morning.
2000 sea chaser 19
Honda 130
2014 yamaha f8

croaker stroker

I found this online regarding heating with a torpedo heater.  Some of you guys up North may have them sitting in your garage ??

He is heating/bending PVC window molding....

"Just lay a piece of masonry siding in the duct pipe.
lay trim flat on the siding and point the heater in one end. Using a meat thermometer through a hole on top
heat until 250degrees or until crust is brown and flaky. have template ready."

(Disregard the crust humorous comment)

I would try 200 degrees first. JIC

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

croaker stroker

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Yachter Yat

Croaker, great clip.  Love those smiles. What a beautiful day.  Looks like those rails do the trick on those earlier hulls, eh?   I was thinking, if Arima ever makes some modifications to their hulls, it might be smart for them to consider widening that secondary knuckle just a bit more. 

Have fun,  Yat

History is not the past; it's the present, as we all carry it with us......James Baldwin    
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)